Jeff Jacobs: Morgan may be the man at LB for UConn | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: Morgan may be the man at LB for UConn

Reaction Score
Jeff Jacobs: Morgan may be the man at LB for UConn

>>“I think I can make an impact,” Morgan, 6-2, 224 pounds, said. “I chose UConn because from Day One in talking to Coach Edsall and Coach (Lou) Spanos they were straight up. When they said something, they did it. That meant a lot to me. I knew coming here, I’d have an opportunity to play with a really good group of guys who are up and coming.”<<

>>
“D.J. is a guy who has played, has experience, has size,” Edsall said. “Mature. Understands football. Somebody who is hungry. When you talk to him, he has good leadership capabilities.”

“Really good player,” Spanos, in his first season as the Huskies’ defensive coordinator, said. “Really good athlete. He can run, Physical. A high IQ football player.”<<

Reaction Score
I’m certain I wasn’t reading the paper that late in the season; particularly losing to Temple by 50

But this quote:
“The problem is we’re playing with linebackers who never played linebacker,” Edsall said. “We tried to makeshift guys. Go back through the recruiting process (with former coach Bob Diaco), see how many linebackers are here that aren’t linebackers.”

Think of the guys that stabilized UConn in Edsalls first term. It was LBs first & a few years later OLine. The putrid play of the linebackers last year was eye rolling. It was fluky bad. No one developed.

Harris. Morgan. Webb. Somebody.

Reaction Score
Harris. Morgan. Webb. Somebody.
All of them. This defense will be decidedly more balanced with players that actually match their position. That perfect storm of young out of position players missing their assignments or taking improper angles, then lacking the strength to wrap up the ball carriers has thankfully blown out to sea. If the D-line can get some push we may just have ourselves a defense that can at the very least hold their ground and at best compete for wins.

Reaction Score
All of them. This defense will be decidedly more balanced with players that actually match their position. That perfect storm of young out of position players missing their assignments or taking improper angles, then lacking the strength to wrap up the ball carriers has thankfully blown out to sea. If the D-line can get some push we may just have ourselves a defense that can at the very least hold their ground and at best compete for wins.
We have a good young linebacker core now. Jackson Mitchell, Dillon Harris, and Morgan all played well today. The coaches have many more options at linebacker this year than they did last year. Might be another reason why Kevon Jones was moved to the DL.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
We have a good young linebacker core now. Jackson Mitchell, Dillon Harris, and Morgan all played well today. The coaches have many more options at linebacker this year than they did last year. Might be another reason why Kevon Jones was moved to the DL.

Uhhh, I need to see a lot more than second-hand reports from one open practice in early August before calling it a "good young linebacker corps..."

Reaction Score
I think it’s a big positive - though I had some notion - that Mitchell is out there playing early. Maybe not in the First Team first game. But he’s a athlete. And he played so many positions well in HS.

Reaction Score
Uhhh, I need to see a lot more than second-hand reports from one open practice in early August before calling it a "good young linebacker corps..."
Duely noted. Thanks basketball board fan. :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom