Jeff Jacobs: Let's See What Boyle Can Do For Two Full Games | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: Let's See What Boyle Can Do For Two Full Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...le-1127-20141126-column.html?track=rss#page=1

Jackie-Gleason-Portrait.jpg

Reaction Score
I said four but we don't even have that luxury now. I think we should continue to rotate whatever combination of 5 QB's that give us the best chance of finishing 7th in the conference.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! Be Well!

Reaction Score
I think that article is spot on. At the very least, lets find out once and for all if Boyle simply can't play. I see how he throws the ball and still believe a coach has to find a way to harness that ability but maybe, as whaler says, the kid can't play despite some obvious phyiscal gifts. I happen to think he has gotten a raw deal twice here having his redshirt taken off but that's over with. Give two full games to see if he could lead this team to some offensive scores and he could see for himself if he truly has a future here or not.

C

Chief00

While Diaco bought into Whitmer none of the players ever did and that's been a problem.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think that article is spot on. At the very least, lets find out once and for all if Boyle simply can't play. I see how he throws the ball and still believe a coach has to find a way to harness that ability but maybe, as whaler says, the kid can't play despite some obvious phyiscal gifts. I happen to think he has gotten a raw deal twice here having his redshirt taken off but that's over with. Give two full games to see if he could lead this team to some offensive scores and he could see for himself if he truly has a future here or not.

He's gotten a horrible deal. His career has been completely mismanaged by two different coaching staffs. Amazingly it's not Pasqualoni's fault.

Diaco's comments about Boyle this week were absurd. He claimed that he owned the offense on Saturday against Cinci... BUT we need to see how practice goes this week before we can say he's starting against Memphis.

Oh yeah and even if he starts Foxx and Whitmer are going to play randomly.

It's hard to come to any conclusion other than Diaco doesn't see him as a solution. Which I completely agree with - but leads to more questions: If you know Boyle can't play.... why go halfway?

Is this program so disfunctional that we knew Boyle was starting off a Whitmer tweet but Diaco won't change the 2-deep and told us that Whitmer's role hasn't changed?

Are things really so bad that BD doesn't think Boyle will give him an effort all week if he just says he's playing? Even if the only reason he is playing is because he has eligibility past this year?

If he thought Boyle was a long term answer than what the hell was he doing with him all season. If he doesn't think he is a long term answer than why isn't he taking his best chance at winning the last two games?

I may need to go Matt/SRQ/Bnich and get a Diaco baptism because if pay attention and attempt to use logic - it's impossible to have any confidence.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
While Diaco bought into Whitmer none of the players ever did and that's been a problem.

Do they buy into Boyle? The games Boyle has started UConn has lost by what... 200-40?

I'd hate to see the scores if they don't.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Boyle throws some great passes. The receivers just refuse to catch them.

Yup. Because the difference between a victory or a 41-0 loss to Cincy was dropped passes... :confused::rolleyes:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
CBGB OMFUG and OMFG. Boyle, as of this moment stinks. He has stunk every chance that BD gave him this season. He stunk last season, too. Play him these two games and find out if he has a chance of improving.

Reaction Score
It's time to play him. It was time to play him after Army and the season was completely lost. No rotations, no wildcat, none of that Shiite. It's time. I hope the young man makes progress and can perhaps provide us with some glimmer of hope heading into the off season

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
He's gotten a horrible deal. His career has been completely mismanaged by two different coaching staffs. Amazingly it's not Pasqualoni's fault.

Diaco's comments about Boyle this week were absurd. He claimed that he owned the offense on Saturday against Cinci... BUT we need to see how practice goes this week before we can say he's starting against Memphis.

Oh yeah and even if he starts Foxx and Whitmer are going to play randomly.

It's hard to come to any conclusion other than Diaco doesn't see him as a solution. Which I completely agree with - but leads to more questions: If you know Boyle can't play.... why go halfway?

Is this program so disfunctional that we knew Boyle was starting off a Whitmer tweet but Diaco won't change the 2-deep and told us that Whitmer's role hasn't changed?

Are things really so bad that BD doesn't think Boyle will give him an effort all week if he just says he's playing? Even if the only reason he is playing is because he has eligibility past this year?

If he thought Boyle was a long term answer than what the hell was he doing with him all season. If he doesn't think he is a long term answer than why isn't he taking his best chance at winning the last two games?

I may need to go Matt/SRQ/Bnich and get a Diaco baptism because if pay attention and attempt to use logic - it's impossible to have any confidence.
Remember, Diaco chose to split snaps almost 50-50 with Whitmer and the cauldron of pure awesome that was Cochran. I think he's looking for something that none of these players have.

Reaction Score
I'll preface this with I know nothing about football. I love watching the game but I will not pretend to really know the ins and outs of the game of football. I will say this though, watching any sport there is nothing like seeing someone take it to the next level (even in youth sports) where you are like, "this kid is special." (think Terry Cauley before he went down) I also think the same can be said unfortunately when you realize a certain player doesn't have it or doesn't belong. For me it was vs Cinnci the other day. I think it was a short 3rd and 1 or maybe a 4th and 1, but the way Boyle hit that line was just eye opening to me. I rewound the play and right there said to myself this kid just doesn't have it. I hope I am wrong I really do but 0 TDs and 10 INTs. To quote a famous football coach, "you are what your record says you are."

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
... For me it was vs Cinnci the other day. I think it was a short 3rd and 1 or maybe a 4th and 1, but the way Boyle hit that line was just eye opening to me. I rewound the play and right there said to myself this kid just doesn't have it. ...

It was both, and I agree. I need to see something approaching a competitive streak from Boyle. I haven't seen anything that shows any urgency. When he ran on 3rd and 4th and short last game I didn't see any fight from the guy. When he's out there, to me his body language says, "Whatever." I agree with Jacobs, give him an unfettered shot to show us what he's got.

Reaction Score
Boyle really needs the receivers to catch the balls he is throwing into their hands. That would help his confidence greatly. The problem is he throws missiles and the guys just aren't used to it. They need to play with him a lot so that they can adjust to the velocity on the ball. The reason Boyle is considered a real strong prospect isn't just his size, he has a canon of an arm.

When I was playing tennis competitively, I used to practice returning serves on a very slippery indoor court where the ball would skid and speed up when it hit the ground to simulate an opponent with a freakish serve. When I went into the match, the ball appeared to be moving very slowly and the big serve was negated. By switching between QBs with such a difference in velocity, Diaco is making Boyle's throws look like flaming meteors. The guys need to play with Tim and only Tim so they can adjust to his throws, which are often right on the money. Just another example of BD making a mistake that has a very obvious cause and effect.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Boyle really needs the receivers to catch the balls he is throwing into their hands. That would help his confidence greatly. The problem is he throws missiles and the guys just aren't used to it. They need to play with him a lot so that they can adjust to the velocity on the ball. The reason Boyle is considered a real strong prospect isn't just his size, he has a canon of an arm.

When I was playing tennis competitively, I used to practice returning serves on a very slippery indoor court where the ball would skid and speed up when it hit the ground to simulate an opponent with a freakish serve. When I went into the match, the ball appeared to be moving very slowly and the big serve was negated. By switching between QBs with such a difference in velocity, Diaco is making Boyle's throws look like flaming meteors. The guys need to play with Tim and only Tim so they can adjust to his throws, which are often right on the money. Just another example of BD making a mistake that has a very obvious cause and effect.

So you are assuming Boyle isn't throwing during practice? You practiced on slippery court and it slowed game down but Boyle needs to play in games for receivers to learn his ball speed?

Reaction Score
not playin boil & not playin cards dealt & playin some fantasy

just a myriad of examples of a coach devoid of common sense=asperger syndrome

who hired dis gi?

Reaction Score
Here's my humble view. Boyle isn't that good. At Xavier he looked better than he really was because he was surrounded by the lots of top talent. Xavier effectively recruits players from Hartford to the shoreline and has its pick of the talent in that area. (and Boyle still lost the title game as a senior I believe). And if he was from Xavarian in Massachusetts, or Xavier of Maryland we aren't even having this discussion (beyond the usual people for whom the backup is always better than the starter). He's a local kid so everyone wants tot see what he can do. If he flames out its because of bad coaching/line play/receiver play. He's

Reaction Score
doesnt matter if boil not that good

still better probabilities when planning for future with what is avail than playing herr bow tie who has no next yr eligibility

since coaches arenot concerned about winning anyway

let boil percolate and rule himself out if that be the case and this will not only benefit team, but benefit student athlete in his career planning

Reaction Score
With regard to QB's it almost seems like UConn fans were forced to live through the same season twice.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
J187Money said:
Boyle throws with his left arm in practice.

Boyle throws stern glances at practice.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
itgoeslike said:
With regard to QB's it almost seems like UConn fans were forced to live through the same season twice.

Twice? Four times. Six times if you include the Zach/Cody soap opera.

You'd think some of us would have learned by now that a QB controversy at UConn means than UConn is terrible at the QB position. As if we can attract multiple quality QB's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom