Jeff Jacobs: How UConn football coach Jim Mora helped get CIAC championships back to Rentschler Field | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: How UConn football coach Jim Mora helped get CIAC championships back to Rentschler Field

Reaction Score

Backdoor to article<<

-> Still, what shouldn’t be lost among the building accolades is that early on Mora was the catalyst for bringing half of the CIAC state football championships back to Rentschler Field on Dec. 10. The other three games will be played at Central Connecticut. “Coach Mora, when he first got here, was making the rounds to all the high school coaches,” said Paul Mounds, Gov. Lamont’s chief of staff. “Doing something the high school coaches were yearning for. “And he kept hearing the same thing: ‘We would like to be able to have our high school championship games played in our college stadiums. It would be good for the kids. He asked me at that point if there was anything he could do. I said absolutely.” <-

-> “The governor had told coach Mora anyway if he can be helpful to him and UConn football, he would be there,” Mound said. “He believes in him. And this was a big way in terms of having all these high school students being able to play at Rentschler Field or Central Connecticut.” It’s not just about attendance figures and a few thousand bucks. The athletes dress in college locker rooms, run out the tunnel, relish the atmosphere. It is something they’ll never forget. <-

-> Mounds, who played in the same defensive backfield as UConn assistant John Marinelli at Trinity, envisions a scenario where Rentschler is an annual centerpiece for the state championships. “And then there is a kind of rotation with Central, Trinity, maybe the Coast Guard, maybe the Yale Bowl for the other games,” he said. “It would be great to open these opportunities to these kids.” <-

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
"According to the terms of the Rentschler agreement, all non-UConn events must be revenue neutral or positive. They can’t further cost a building which already has run in the red."

This is the worst clause in the history of clauses.

Reaction Score
"According to the terms of the Rentschler agreement, all non-UConn events must be revenue neutral or positive. They can’t further cost a building which already has run in the red."

Great for the high school kids!! I'm also curious to see the expense side of hosting a game. Sure, it might lose money but how much are the expenses inflated? Keep using the place if we're going to pay to keep it going.

Heinz Field always hosts high school championships. Yes, it's still Heinz

Reaction Score

Bad clause can be changed. If Jim Mora wants the HS kids to play at the Rent, then responsible parties should oblige.

Reaction Score
I don't know if it's changed, but when the Rent first opened, high school teams had trouble affording some of the costs in the union contracts. The state police contract had a clause that any event had to hire x number of State police. I hope this has changed because a game that draws maybe 2000 doesn't need the same security as an event that hosts 25000.

Reaction Score
If Jim Mora wants the HS kids to play at the Rent, then responsible parties should oblige.

They obliged… it’s a done deal (at least this year):

-> The CIAC will be returning to Rentschler Field and Central Connecticut State for its annual football championships as it begins another era of six playoff divisions, the organization announced Wednesday.

Three games will be played at each site at 10:30 a.m., 2 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. on December 10, the day of the state finals. Locations for each division will be announced after the two finalists are determined. <-

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score

Backdoor to article<<

-> Still, what shouldn’t be lost among the building accolades is that early on Mora was the catalyst for bringing half of the CIAC state football championships back to Rentschler Field on Dec. 10. The other three games will be played at Central Connecticut. “Coach Mora, when he first got here, was making the rounds to all the high school coaches,” said Paul Mounds, Gov. Lamont’s chief of staff. “Doing something the high school coaches were yearning for. “And he kept hearing the same thing: ‘We would like to be able to have our high school championship games played in our college stadiums. It would be good for the kids. He asked me at that point if there was anything he could do. I said absolutely.” <-

-> “The governor had told coach Mora anyway if he can be helpful to him and UConn football, he would be there,” Mound said. “He believes in him. And this was a big way in terms of having all these high school students being able to play at Rentschler Field or Central Connecticut.” It’s not just about attendance figures and a few thousand bucks. The athletes dress in college locker rooms, run out the tunnel, relish the atmosphere. It is something they’ll never forget. <-

-> Mounds, who played in the same defensive backfield as UConn assistant John Marinelli at Trinity, envisions a scenario where Rentschler is an annual centerpiece for the state championships. “And then there is a kind of rotation with Central, Trinity, maybe the Coast Guard, maybe the Yale Bowl for the other games,” he said. “It would be great to open these opportunities to these kids.” <-

How is this not happening already? Massachusetts high school superbowls are played at Gillette Stadium.

Husky25

Reaction Score
How is this not happening already? Massachusetts high school superbowls are played at Gillette Stadium.
The Central MA Superbowls used to be played at WPI.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Bad clause can be changed. If Jim Mora wants the HS kids to play at the Rent, then responsible parties should oblige.
It's been in effect for 10 years or more. If responsible parties wanted to oblige before now, they would have.

Reaction Score
I think it is great. Only thing I will say if if one player’s parent complains about the State spending money on something he or she should be required to stand at midfield in a pink tutu and sing Tom Paxton’s “I’m Changing My Name to Chrysler “ at each game.

Reaction Score
I just learned that UCONN is hosting the Final 4 Field Hockey Championship. Right now.

Galway Hurling Catch GIF by Very Ireland

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Again added benefit of getting interest and traction with players, parents and coaches of seeing and playing football at the Rent. This can only help with recruiting and with building the fan base.

Reaction Score
It’s helpful but won’t effect football

Reaction Score
It’s helpful but won’t effect football
I couldn’t figure out the thread connection myself other than they thought the FHOC Championship was @ the Rent.

Reaction Score
I couldn’t figure out the thread connection myself other than they thought the FHOC Championship was @ the Rent.
It would make more sense if it was about men’s lacrosse as that was held at the Rent

Reaction Score
I love this. The Rent is perfect for LL, L, MM… CCSU to be used for M, SS, S…

Not gunna lie I think the atmosphere at Arute will be great. It’s a nice little stadium and they’ve done some nice things to the campus in recent years.

Great exposure for the athletes, students, and parents!

Reaction Score
Is the video clip of Irish hurling part of the field hockey link? Or added separately?
I added it separately, for effect. Field Hockey was in Stores but I mentioned it because it could have been at the Rent. Probably better in Stores though.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
I added it separately, for effect. Field Hockey was in Stores but I mentioned it because it could have been at the Rent. Probably better in Stores though.
Watch out in the lamp section in those stores.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I'm all for this but feel sorry for a team that makes a championship game at the Rent after possibly not playing a game on grass all year. Most CT high schools have artificial turf these days, for maintenance, cost and use issues.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I'm all for this but feel sorry for a team that makes a championship game at the Rent after possibly not playing a game on grass all year. Most CT high schools have artificial turf these days, for maintenance, cost and use issues.

They ran on grass for 14 years prior to their high school days. Their body will remember.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom