Jeff Jacobs: Historically bad UConn season finally ends, not a minute too soon | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: Historically bad UConn season finally ends, not a minute too soon

Reaction Score
"These guys don’t have the pride in this program yet. They don’t." - inspiring

"We’ve got to go recruit above them and over them. We did it with the freshmen we have and will continue to it." - good luck with the current recruiting class

“We can’t get the same kids in here as other people we compete against. We’re not on level ground there when it comes to recruiting junior college guys and graduate transfers. We have academic restrictions that don’t allow us to get some guys in.” - nice cop out

Tough situation when we desperately need this coach to be successful and it is almost humanly impossible for me to root for a loser like this.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Is that factual? Does UConn have tougher requirements than the rest of the AAC?

We heard that from Edsall the last go round...nothing from PP or BD about that, that I can remember. And now Edsall is using that excuse again.

Does anyone know if this is true?

Reaction Score
Should UConn admissions give the football team greater flexibility in evaluating the GPA and SAT scores of potential football team members? It is fine is someone graduates from UConn with a C average.

Reaction Score

We heard that from Edsall the last go round...nothing from PP or BD about that, that I can remember. And now Edsall is using that excuse again.

Does anyone know if this is true?
It probably is. P may have made a mention of it. No one uses it as a crutch like Edsall.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Life is tough enough without shooting yourself in the foot. If our academic restrictions are holding us back (I don't know if that's true), then we should just give up football. You can't play major college football with one hand tied behind your back.

Reaction Score

Does UConn have harder requirements than UCF, Memphis, and Tulsa? Yes absolutely. I think the only better school, academically, is Tulane, and they have the advantage of being in New Orleans in a fertile recruiting area and good weather, depending on how into damp clothing you are.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Does UConn have harder requirements than UCF, Memphis, and Tulsa? Yes absolutely. I think the only better school, academically, is Tulane, and they have the advantage of being in New Orleans in a fertile recruiting area and good weather, depending on how into damp clothing you are.
The average football recruit in no way has the same stats as the average incoming freshmen class at UConn. Will our grad schools accommodate any grad transfer who wants to come here? The basketball team doesn't seem to have any issues in that regard. I assume all schools in the conference are held to the same standards regarding no partial qualifiers and things like that, but RE should stop pretending we are using Patriot League admission requirements.

Reaction Score
Randy makes it sound like UConn admission standards for players are tougher than Michigan, UCLA, Cal, UVA, etc. If Cal can admit Marshawn Lynch, then UConn should be able to work with those parameters. Let's not pretend like UConn is MIT. There are some meatballs already on campus. The admission standards should be comparable to our peers in the American.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
You want some cheese with that whine, eh Randy?

He says we need the right kind of guys (sound familiar?) and then tells the entire team they're all going to be recruited over. That does wonders for team morale. It begs the question: Why did you recruit the freshmen and sophomores if they all suck?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Almost every school in the AAC would admit a 3 year old just learning his/her ABCs. UConn and Tulane are the unquestioned AAC ivies.

There's a different spin on our admissions standards that I'd rather read than "we can't get players here". We should be a smart, well coached team that commits very few penalties a game. Our playbook should be so complex that it is nearly impossible for other teams to prepare for it. Our defense should be one continuous supporting blanket playing good contain and using smart "pack of wolves" tackling schemes.

But it's easier to make excuses to justify losing.

Reaction Score
Almost every school in the AAC would admit a 3 year old just learning his/her ABCs. UConn and Tulane are the unquestioned AAC ivies.

The AAC has the same entrance requirements as the ACC, B1G, P12, B12, SEC. None of them have Ivy League requirements either.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Cold weather, no natural recruiting area, lack of tradition, far from home for most of the guys we would want, 7 straight losing seasons, national embarrassment at times.

Yes, we are not on the same footing as UCF, USF, SMU, Memphis, Cincy, Tulsa, Tulane, Houston. We are on the same footing as ECU and Temple.

Outside CT, RE is UConn FB for better or worse. Underrated guys who he can get to the NFL need to form the backbone of our recruiting classes if we are going to win. They have to want to work like the successful teams worked and there need to be enough of them to fill every position group at the same time.

That sort of happened once in 2007. In 2010 we had major holes at WR, QB and pass defense.

Reaction Score
We are on the same footing as ECU and Temple.

Outside CT, RE is UConn FB for better or worse. Underrated guys who he can get to the NFL need to form the backbone of our recruiting classes if we are going to win. They have to want to work like the successful teams worked and there need to be enough of them to fill every position group at the same time.

That sort of happened once in 2007. In 2010 we had major holes at WR, QB and pass defense.

Guys like Tyler Matakevich

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Randy makes it sound like UConn admission standards for players are tougher than Michigan, UCLA, Cal, UVA, etc. If Cal can admit Marshawn Lynch, then UConn should be able to work with those parameters. Let's not pretend like UConn is MIT. There are some meatballs already on campus. The admission standards should be comparable to our peers in the American.

Marshawn Lynch wouldn't take a visit here. That is the point. Stop acting like we'd get really talented players if only we'd lower our academic standards. Randy isn't complaining about admissions, he is complaining about the character of the guys he has. Next season, that becomes his problem. Today, let him complain if it sends the right message. We know Randy knows how to prepare players, he has always been game plan and recruiting challenged.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom