Jeff Jacobs: Herbst happy UConn ‘back to the place where all the magic happened.’ | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: Herbst happy UConn ‘back to the place where all the magic happened.’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Alternate access link here<

>>“A big part of the eight years I was UConn president, the most heartbreaking thing about the split with the Big East was losing the Garden,” Herbst said. “We felt like it was our place. I have to tell you every time I went in and out of Penn Station, I wanted to sob. I don’t think I was alone about that. UConn fans are very emotional about the Garden. We understand deeply: the greatest basketball arena, greatest city of the world.

“I can’t tell you how many sad conversations I had about losing the foothold in New York. It feels like our meeting place, our crossroads. Sure, we’re in Storrs and Farmington, all these places, but when you think about UConn alumni and our fans around the world, it’s the gravitational pull to New York and the Garden. It’s gigantic for us to go back to the place where all the magic happened.”<<

Think there is a special shout-out to @buddy buried in there ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She had nothing to do with what happened. It was out of her control
How the heck can you say that. She was the freakin school president that oversaw an athletic department the went downhill both competively and financially during her time. She is absolutely responsible and I can't believe the media continues to kiss her butt instead of holding her accountable. She must have signed off on joining the AAC. Now she is thrilled this administration had the guts to return home. She is a joke.

Reaction Score
How the heck can you say that. She was the freakin school president that oversaw an athletic department the went downhill both competively and financially during her time. She is absolutely responsible and I can't believe the media continues to kiss her butt instead of holding her accountable. She must have signed off on joining the AAC. Now she is thrilled this administration had the guts to return home. She is a joke.
They were never getting into the ACC face reality. They had already invested heavily in the football program they had no choice but to leave the big east. She had her hands tied. There was literally nothing she could have done

Reaction Score
They were never getting into the ACC face reality. They had already invested heavily in the football program they had no choice but to leave the big east. She had her hands tied. There was literally nothing she could have done
We were considered the favorite when Louisville joined. They did a much better job of pitching their program to the ACC while Suzie was asleep at the wheel. How many millions did this cost the University and the state?

Reaction Score
We were considered the favorite when Louisville joined. They did a much better job of pitching their program to the ACC while Suzie was asleep at the wheel. How many millions did this cost the University and the state?
Lol if you thought UConn ever had a chance. You're clueless. They could have been giving happy endings with bags of cash and still would have been passed over. No southern football school was approving UConn. Face reality there was nothing Suzie could have done

Reaction Score
And who approved Hathaway to be AD? Pasqualoni then Diaco as head football coaches. SUZIE that's who!
Actually it was the BOT/McHugh... Herbst was not President when Hathaway was named AD in 2003? and was only President elect for Pasqualoni (Austin was interim President). She owns Manuel, Diaco and Edsall.

Reaction Score
My mistake. Should have looked it up before posting. Surprised that Hathaway became AD in 2003. Now that was someone who was in over his head.

Reaction Score
Lol if you thought UConn ever had a chance. You're clueless. They could have been giving happy endings with bags of cash and still would have been passed over. No southern football school was approving UConn. Face reality there was nothing Suzie could have done
Then why were we considered to be the favorite?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
You realize we “joined the AAC” in 1979, right?

I think Herbst believed her tobacco Road contacts who said we were a sure thing to replace Maryland. She justifiably gets criticism for that but I’m not sure that there was what she could’ve done other than be proactive instead of going to the Atlantis tournament for the women

Reaction Score
Why did she go publically begging after the fact? Had the look of someone who didnt prepare. That changed with the possible B12 invite.

Reaction Score
She was a big cause of UConn's athletic failures and ultimate return to mommy's basement. She gets no points for trying to save her legacy of failure. She screwed up, plain and simple.
She could have done some things better, but she did hire Benedict. I have much bigger issues with Warde and Hathaway.

Reaction Score
Why did she go publically begging after the fact? Had the look of someone who didnt prepare. That changed with the possible B12 invite.
Clemson, fsu, Miami, vtech, bc, gtech pretty much came out and said they were never voting in favor of UConn. You can probably add Syracuse to that list also

You need 2/3 approval to be added as a member. They said UConn football was trash and they wanted a football school. Anyone who thinks UConn had a real shot isn't looking at things realistically

Reaction Score
How much did tuition and fees increase under Herbst leadership? UConn is no bargain for the best and brightest from Connecticut.
Many parents are sending their kids to state Universities all over the country. Most of these students will never return to CT once they graduate.
Our state tax dollars subsidize our ‘flagship’ University-yet the price to attend has increased over 50% under Herbst presidency.
Fix the cost to attend UConn before propping up a failed athletic dept.

Reaction Score
Clemson, fsu, Miami, vtech, bc, gtech pretty much came out and said they were never voting in favor of UConn. You can probably add Syracuse to that list also

You need 2/3 approval to be added as a member. They said UConn football was trash and they wanted a football school. Anyone who thinks UConn had a real shot isn't looking at things realistically
That’s a load of malarkey, but nice spin. The only schools that don’t want us are the usual suspects in our backyard because we are huge threat - Syracuse and BC. VTech, Miami, Miami had no axe to grind. Hell, until the wheels fell off thanks to massive mismanagement, UConn was a rising star in the CFB. Louisville is not a football school either by any definition. I hate the revisionist nonsense.

Reaction Score
Then why were we considered to be the favorite?
There was ample discussion and reporting after the fact that UConn was never considered a "favorite" over UL. The NC basketball schools wanted us, but the southern football schools were deadset against us and got support in their corner from the former Big East schools. FSU and Clemson held all the cards since the SEC or Big 12 would scoop them up in two seconds if given the chance. We were never a favorite.

That doesn't absolve Herbt and Warde from taking a too hands-off approach by "monitoring" while Jurich was proactively working.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There was ample discussion and reporting after the fact that UConn was never considered a "favorite" over UL. The NC basketball schools wanted us, but the southern football schools were deadset against us and got support in their corner from the former Big East schools. FSU and Clemson held all the cards since the SEC or Big 12 would scoop them up in two seconds if given the chance. We were never a favorite.

That doesn't absolve Herbt and Warde from taking a too hands-off approach by "monitoring" while Jurich was proactively working.

FSU and Clemson were hard no's, they wanted the best traditional FB brands, we weren't that. Most of the other FB leaning schools went along, including Miami, VT, and GT.

The basketball centered schools were in our corner but not adamant about us over Cuse. Pitt, or UL. They weren't about to cause a rift over us when the others offered 70 cents on the dollar in BB.

BC, Pitt and Syracuse were actively against us in the interest of self preservation. They assumed a zero sum game in terms of northeast success in recruiting and popularly. They failed to account for buzz created by the old big east rivalries not traveling well in a southern conference. Miami also backed this group.

Let's not rewrite history. Herbst took a contested shot and missed. Other than thr money, none of the old BE schools made out well from the move with the possible exception of VT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom