Jeff Jacobs: Diaco Knows It's Now About Winning | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: Diaco Knows It's Now About Winning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

>>"We've got to win, we've got to win games," Diaco said. "We've got to share our vision. We've got to share our mission. I think people can get behind that. It's real. It is visceral. It's about doing it the right way, about fairness, about competition, about how these young people can grow into winners. People can rally around that. People can support that. Then we let [the players] meet the people. And when they come, we've got to win. More will come. More will stay. It's a great football state. It really is."<<

>>Maybe it was because he was talking one-on-one. Maybe it was because he knows I've jumped on him for coming off wacky and self-serving at times in the past. Maybe it's because, without a room full of people to impress and being a little tired after a long day in the sun, he had quieted to a hoarse whisper. But that was the sort of sober response that gives indication there is plenty of substance behind Diaco's penchant for the sizzle.<<

>>The most powerful thing Diaco said Saturday is that the transition from the previous regime is over. He's not going to hide behind nutrition, strength-training or lack of discipline. "We're there," Diaco said. "This is our team. The transition is over. We are on our way. I don't know exactly where we are on the time line, but we're working to win every day. And there are wins every day."<<

Reaction Score
Medic I know you have a paragraph from this part of the article I thought the rest was too good not to leave out:

>>There are about 45 players remaining from the day Diaco walked on campus. That means all sorts of new faces. A guy like running back Joe Williams, who was suspended under Paul Pasqualoni and immediately released by Diaco, shows up at the University of Utah with a story different from the police report that led to his dismissal for taking money from a wallet and illegally using a credit card. Jefferson Ashiru, whose father said was forced out by Diaco, which Diaco strenuously denies, could start at linebacker for Maryland. Shakim Phillips, who transferred back to Boston College, was last seen making a highlight catch for the Steelers in the Hall of Fame Game.

"I wish them well," Diaco said, reiterating he didn't run off anybody. "The ones that are here are our guys. They bought in. They love the place. They love us. We love them. There is no separation."

The most powerful thing Diaco said Saturday is that the transition from the previous regime is over. He's not going to hide behind nutrition, strength-training or lack of discipline.

"We're there," Diaco said. "This is our team. The transition is over. We are on our way. I don't know exactly where we are on the time line, but we're working to win every day. And there are wins every day."

The key is separating some of the stuff Diaco says from the deeper substance of what he is building. I'm not going to pretend I have broken the code to that key. I do know that when a coach says whacky stuff and wins, he is called a delightful eccentric and a visionary. When he loses, he's just plain nuts.

Diaco is smart and he seems to be learning how to be a general — not only a micro-manager or car salesman. He's AD Warde Manuel's guy. He's being given time to grow and by 2016 the Huskies stand to be very good. Either that or I'm as crazy as Diaco is.<<

Reaction Score
I agree that this is all about 2016. I want to see improvement and where there is weakness some trickery and crafty schemes. No humiliating losses.

Reaction Score
He said it. No more blaming the past. If he can do that I can forget about last year. Let's go!

Reaction Score
In other words, 2014 was not about winning, it was not a priority. Wonder if he mentioned that in job interview? And obvious it upsets me it wasn't about winning last year. He decided to throw the year away. So anyone who blames the kids for last year should look at the source.

DB remains a first time, untested, head coach. At least, this year, he has his priorities straight.

Reaction Score
Palatine said:
In other words, 2014 was not about winning, it was not a priority. Wonder if he mentioned that in job interview? And obvious it upsets me it wasn't about winning last year. He decided to throw the year away. So anyone who blames the kids for last year should look at the source. DB remains a first time, untested, head coach. At least, this year, he has his priorities straight.

Confident Carl thinks it was even if Diaco thinks otherwise.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
In other words, 2014 was not about winning, it was not a priority. Wonder if he mentioned that in job interview? And obvious it upsets me it wasn't about winning last year. He decided to throw the year away. So anyone who blames the kids for last year should look at the source.

DB remains a first time, untested, head coach. At least, this year, he has his priorities straight.
So, if only he prioritized winning the team would have won more in his first year. It's so easy a cave man could do it.

Reaction Score

What part of tear down and rebuild from scratch do you not understand? It was a program rebuild, not a team rebuild. The mess he inherited was discussed pretty openly on here (and at the same tailgate you and I attend on a regular or semi regular basis). You probably know more about what went on behind the scenes than many on here.

You are either getting edgy because the season is approaching (I know I am) or you just feel the need to try out that obtuse thing people do now and then. :cool:

Reaction Score

MAYBE he could have been 4 and 9 or 5 and 8 even, but we won't know if he "threw away the year" until we see how the next two seasons play out!

Reaction Score
I'm a little bugged that STILL.... the offense struggles because of a young, inexperienced offensive line that never seems to get more experienced. So far this recruiting season, 4 athletes(none of which are even close to 250 lbs), a linebacker and a corner. Not one offensive lineman has signed up yet and that's the area needing most attention and depth.

Reaction Score
I'm a little bugged that STILL.... the offense struggles because of a young, inexperienced offensive line that never seems to get more experienced. So far this recruiting season, 4 athletes(none of which are even close to 250 lbs), a linebacker and a corner. Not one offensive lineman has signed up yet and that's the area needing most attention and depth.
Agreed, and something we've learned about modern college football... programs can get by and retain fan bases (even with losing seasons) if they have an exciting offensive style of play.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
MAYBE he could have been 4 and 9 or 5 and 8 even, but we won't know if he "threw away the year" until we see how the next two seasons play out!

Eh...even Diaco couldn't have managed to play thirteen games in a season without being bowl eligible.

Reaction Score
Anyone who watched the games knows he threw away the year. It just POs me because I think he owed something to that team. But he also cheated himself.

This is a new year. Glad we have got to win games this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom