Jeff Hornacek? Yikes. | The Boneyard

Jeff Hornacek? Yikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The best coaching option the Knicks could drum up is Jeff Hornacek? Was Doug Collins next on their list?

It astounds me that these multi-multi-million dollar sports franchises trot out these retreads over and over with really a guaranteed poor end result.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
The best coaching option the Knicks could drum up is Jeff Hornacek? Was Doug Collins next on their list?

It astounds me that these multi-multi-million dollar sports franchises trot out these retreads over and over with really a guaranteed poor end result.

Its the Knicks, dude. How could you expect anything else.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Its the Knicks, dude. How could you expect anything else.
091214-NBA-james-dolan-attends-knicks-press-conference-ahn-PI.vresize.1200.675.high.60.jpg

Reaction Score
Am I the only one who likes this hire? He did a great job in Phoenix, save for this year when his roster was decimated. He is also going to bring a modern offense to the Knicks, and he isn't Kurt Rambo's.

Reaction Score
Yep, a win that its not Rambis - NYC is not the place for a brand new coach, I think good hire by Phil.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I am a Knicks fan, unfortunately, and I don't hate the hire. But at the end of the day I am resigned to believing that we'll never be serious contenders as long as we have Melo. I'll never be thrilled with Dolan as owner, either, but the Jackson hire and Porzingis pick give me hope that he may finally be capable of getting out of the way, and that we are at least past the Isiah era.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one who likes this hire? He did a great job in Phoenix, save for this year when his roster was decimated. He is also going to bring a modern offense to the Knicks, and he isn't Kurt Rambo's.

Is Phil Jackson going to let him run something other than the triangle offense???

Reaction Score

"Great job in Phoenix"?

48-34 in 2013/14
39-43 in 2014/15
14-35 in 2015/16

He was fired this season when they lost 19 of 21 games.

Reaction Score

I don't dislike this hire either. It's not like brad Stevens, KO, Shaka smart, and other big time names were going to coach the Knicks.

IMO it's not the coaching, it's the Anthony albatross contract that will keep the Knicks from acquiring younger and cheaper talent in the short term and conversely keeping them out of contention.

Reaction Score
I like the hire and calling him a retread is ridiculous IMO - he's not a guy who's failed at several stops. He was impressive before the PHX front office completely dismantled that franchise, no coach was going to win in that dumpster fire of a situation. He adapts to his players well and he'll get the most out of Porzingis and let him be the prototypical big man that he's supposed to be. Concerns are defense (so he'll fit right in in NY) and questions about his ability to control the locker room and command respect.

The Knicks do need to find a capable PG first but at least now the market is much larger with the Triangle out the window and the Knicks will be more appealing to FAs. Even a marginal dude like Rondo would be an enormous improvement over Calderon/Grant.

Reaction Score
Hornacek has the potential to be a great coach. He knows what he is doing and uses his guys well. Unfortunately, the Knicks aren't going anywhere with Melo as the centerpiece. He is a #2 talent and he's only got a couple peak years left. They need an elite pg and another superstar to win a title. So far away.

Reaction Score
Well we have a new coach not named Rambis, all of our draft picks and a Unicorn galloping up and down the court. Color me excited (Lol)

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Horn didn't have that much to work with at Phoenix.
But the Knicks could have/should have gotten a marquee coach BUT I think the Melo issue scares many away
Melo isn't worth the $ and/or the attention
The Knicks won't be good until they get rid of Melo - good luck on that

Reaction Score
Horn didn't have that much to work with at Phoenix.
But the Knicks could have/should have gotten a marquee coach BUT I think the Melo issue scares many away
Melo isn't worth the $ and/or the attention
The Knicks won't be good until they get rid of Melo - good luck on that

Melo is a ticket seller and thats good enough for Dolan, who cares about the product on the court.

Reaction Score
Mark Jackson was available and teams avoid him like the plague. Go figure

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Do you think that Jackson finally figured out that his coaching "genius" started with Mike and ended with Kobe?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Do you think that Jackson finally figured out that his coaching "genius" started with Mike and ended with Kobe?

Where are the legendary coaches who one without superlative talent? That's what it takes. Auerbach had the likes of Russell. Popavich had Duncan. etc etc

Reaction Score
I don't dislike this hire either. It's not like brad Stevens, KO, Shaka smart, and other big time names were going to coach the Knicks.

IMO it's not the coaching, it's the Anthony albatross contract that will keep the Knicks from acquiring younger and cheaper talent in the short term and conversely keeping them out of contention.

Shaka Smart is a big name at the NBA level? Even Ollie is borderline. Vogel and Blatt had real interest, and there were reports that Thibs badly wanted the job, even without the power he got in Minnesota. Hornacek getting the job doesn't mean its not a desireable job.

Anthony's contract isn't going to keep them from upgrading the roster in the short term, they will have max level cap space this year and maybe next year too. They might be better off trying to trade him and go through a full rebuild, but if they don't they'll still have opportunities to improve the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom