Jeff Goodman on Daniel Hamilton | The Boneyard

Jeff Goodman on Daniel Hamilton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm sure most of you remember Goodman's rant about Hamilton last year. So this made me laugh. Well at least he kind of admitted he was wrong. He's still a db!

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff-goodman/post?id=4434

6) UConn post-'Bazz -- The Huskies may have Ryan Boatright, but they are still dealing with life in the post-Shabazz Napier Era. UConn had lost three consecutive games, including a setback at home to Yale, before the win against Coppin State. Let’s not forget, though, that UConn was a bottom of the Top 25-ish team before the improbable run to the title a year ago. Freshman Daniel Hamilton has played well thus far, and I never thought I’d say this, but he needs to be more selfish and look for his shot more than he has in the first seven games of his career.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
LOL! How's that crow taste Jeffy-boy? What an uninformed .

Daniel Hamilton has the best vision and passing ability of any 3-guard we've had since... who? Best in a long time for sure.

His handle/passing ability has been a very pleasant surprise. That ability been a total 180 from UConn's past few 3 guards who traditionally did not have much of a handle/passing ability. Deandre/Niels/Stanley were not great passers or ball handlers.

Reaction Score
One would hope that Jeffy-boy would learn from his completely wrong assessment of Hamilton based on one AAU game. But alas, I'm certain he will go back to making stupid statements and completely incorrect observations even before the day is done.

Reaction Score
One would hope that Jeffy-boy would learn from his completely wrong assessment of Hamilton based on one AAU game. But alas, I'm certain he will go back to making stupid statements and completely incorrect observations even before the day is done.

He's never been held accountable for making things up before, so I doubt it will be an issue. It's not incompetence. He's a liar. He lies. He invents quotes from "unnamed sources" and pretends to have scouted guys he's only watched in videos. Not to mention that he talks a lot of smack about UConn.

Reaction Score
I'm sure most of you remember Goodman's rant about Hamilton last year. So this made me laugh. Well at least he kind of admitted he was wrong. He's still a db!

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff-goodman/post?id=4434

6) UConn post-'Bazz -- The Huskies may have Ryan Boatright, but they are still dealing with life in the post-Shabazz Napier Era. UConn had lost three consecutive games, including a setback at home to Yale, before the win against Coppin State. Let’s not forget, though, that UConn was a bottom of the Top 25-ish team before the improbable run to the title a year ago. Freshman Daniel Hamilton has played well thus far, and I never thought I’d say this, but he needs to be more selfish and look for his shot more than he has in the first seven games of his career.

UConn was ranked 18th before the tourney.

Is that bottom of the top 25?

Reaction Score
The idea of Hamilton as gunner was so off-base you wonder where it came from. It's almost like judging a player off a handful of AAU games might not be the best idea.
It was based off the one game Goodman watched him playing.

Not joking.

Reaction Score
It was based off the one game Goodman watched him playing.

Not joking.
Yeah, and somehow, that has morphed into scouting DHam multiple times during the summer of 2013.

Seeing him in a Vegas event in July:
Capture.PNG

Has now turned into this:
Capture1.PNG

Reaction Score
The idea of Hamilton as gunner was so off-base you wonder where it came from. It's almost like judging a player off a handful of AAU games might not be the best idea.

I would think it came from his brother.
While at Texas, his brother was a gunner, for the most part and played selfish ball.
No denying his talent ( NBA), but he was not a team player while in college

Not in anyway saying this is a valid comparison, but it may be where the thought came from
just sayin

Reaction Score
While at Texas, his brother was a gunner, for the most part and played selfish ball.

Not in anyway saying this is a valid comparison, but it may be where the thought came from
just sayin

I'd bet it is. Rather than do any scouting, Goodman just went by what he knew about his brother.

Reaction Score
He may very well have been correct on what he saw. Probably was, since he wasn't the only one who said it. Problem is that some of these AAU showcases are hot garbage - some tournaments are set up where they are playing for championships and players bring their best overall game and effort, but others are six games in three days type of mad houses with nothing at stake. Hamilton, who had already committed by the time he went on the summer circuit, may have been putting a lot of work on his jump shot and used some of these summer events to work on it in game action, so he shot more than usual. Or he might have just been in a salty mood and felt like chucking at an event that meant nothing.

I don't always trust HS stats, but it was readily available that he averaged 7 assists as a junior (and ended up over 5 as a senior). I wouldn't have much problem if Goodman said he played selfishly that day or at that tourney or whatever, but he took it to another level by saying he IS selfish (and never met a shot he didn't like, etc). That implies a permanent state of being based on anecdotal observation. If you declare that as fact and ignore contradictory evidence (HS stats, opinions from others who have seen him play more) then you aren't very good at your job.

Last edited:

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Yeah, and somehow, that has morphed into scouting DHam multiple times during the summer of 2013.

Seeing him in a Vegas event in July:
View attachment 7894

Has now turned into this:
View attachment 7895

He blocked me (CTkevb) following that exchange. It lead to him getting into it with Dinos Trigonis who was the promoter of the tournament Goodman supposedly did the bulk of his Hamilton watching.

Here's the full exchange:

KevB ‏@ctkevb Nov 9
@GoodmanESPN 12 pts, 12 rebounds, 6 assists for Daniel Hamilton today. #chucker #ucla #wrong

KevB ‏@ctkevb Nov 9
@GoodmanESPN he didn't make your top 25 newcomers list in August. Did you watch him once summer of 2013?

ff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN Nov 9
@ctkevb I watched him multiple times that summer of his junior season -- and he was a black hole.

KevB ‏@ctkevb Nov 9
@GoodmanESPN so what's your opinion today? I just want to be clear so when you move the goalposts again we can refer back to this point.

Dinos Trigonis ‏@trigonis30 Nov 9
@ctkevb amazing to hear JG say he saw DHam "multiple" times that summer when I only saw JG watch my Belmont Shore team play 1 time then

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN Nov 30
@ctkevb @trigonis30 Dinos has no idea how many times I saw Hamilton.

KevB ‏@ctkevb Nov 30
@GoodmanESPN @trigonis30 pretty strong tag to put on a kid in 1 weekend

KevB ‏@ctkevb Nov 30
@GoodmanESPN @trigonis30 you are a great personality Jeff, you take strong opinions and interact w the fans, but you don't own your misses

@ctkevb @trigonis30 Whatever, man. I say I am wrong all the time.

KevB ‏@ctkevb Nov 30
@GoodmanESPN @trigonis30 just not on Hamilton chucker/ucla or uconn overrated last year.

@ctkevb @trigonis30 UConn had a great couple weeks in the tourney -- but they were overrated for the regular-season.

KevB ‏@ctkevb Nov 30
@GoodmanESPN @trigonis30 only Syracuse plays for wins in November Jeff, you called bazz boat and Daniels not uconn good

KevB ‏@ctkevb Nov 30
@GoodmanESPN @trigonis30 this is where you admit you were wrong

@ctkevb @trigonis30 Of course I was wrong -- there's no way I thought UConn would win it all. I'm still shocked seven months later.

KevB ‏@ctkevb Nov 30
@GoodmanESPN @trigonis30 thank god, now we can all move on.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
And the exchange where Trigonis calls out goodman:

@trigonis30 @ctkevb Because Napier is better than all of them.

Dinos Trigonis ‏@trigonis30 Nov 30
@GoodmanESPN @ctkevb Napier is a champion but u love him because u are emotionally connected to him lol you don't know the other kids

@trigonis30 @ctkevb I actually don't even know Shabazz that much. However, your bias comes from being financially connected to the kids.

Dinos Trigonis ‏@trigonis30 Nov 30
@GoodmanESPN @ctkevb lol yes I spend money helping kids reach their dreams. You get paid for being a p-r-i-c-k lol

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He blocked me (CTkevb) following that exchange. It lead to him getting into it with Dinos Trigonis who was the promoter of the tournament Goodman supposedly did the bulk of his Hamilton watching.

Here's the full exchange:
How was UConn ever overrated last year? We were ranked when we played well and not when we didn't. Then we won it all. Rated properly throughout.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
How was UConn ever overrated last year? We were ranked when we played well and not when we didn't. Then we won it all. Rated properly throughout.
We were ~ 10th in the country early days when he made it a point to call us out as overrated where we were. He defends that stance by suggesting we were largely the team we were throughout the season instead of the team that ended the season, thereby making him correct for putting the spotlight on us in December after our 8-0 start. This of course is BS, but beyond that, doesn't excuse the article he wrote in 2012 when KO took over where he called the core of our talent "not Uconn good" suggesting Ollie was set up to fail. When I finally put that on him, he admitted he was wrong.

Reaction Score

just sayin
Goodman's opinion came from one AAU game he saw Hamilton play. I know because I had an exchange with Eric Bossi, the lead recruiting analysts at TOS, about it. Bossi and Goodman sat together at that game. They used to work together. Bossi said Goodman kept bringing up how Hamilton was shooting too much but Bossi thought it was fine. Goodman kept going on and on about what a gunner Hamilton was and finally Bossi said he told Goodman he didn't see anything wrong with it and thought Hamilton was a "monster talent".

Goodman might have seen Hamilton more after that game, I don't know, but his opinion was formed from that one game and whatever he saw after that, if he did at all, wasn't going to change his opinion. Which, by the way, is the thing I hate about Goodman the most. He forms strong opinions, which he is not shy about sharing, from very little information and doesn't seem to admit he was wrong. He's very arrogant. But whatever, it got him a gig at ESPN which seems to be way above his head so I guess it all worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom