Jaylin Hunter | The Boneyard

Jaylin Hunter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I tried to add to the old post on this kid, but it was locked for some reason. I went to the East Catholic game tonight and a Providence assistant was there (Jeff Battle). I asked another lower D-1 coach in attendance who Battle was looking at. He said the Providence guy was looking at Jaylin Hunter. This guy said that Hunter is more likely an A-10 level player, but pretty interesting that a Providence coach would take the trip to see him. May not be a bad walk-on choice at all. He’s really athletic, has a pretty good handle and a nice lefty jumper. He didn’t have a great game tonight, but I certainly wouldn’t steer him away if he wanted to walk on. Why not?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I tried to add to the old post on this kid, but it was locked for some reason. I went to the East Catholic game tonight and a Providence assistant was there (Jeff Battle). I asked another lower D-1 coach in attendance who Battle was looking at. He said the Providence guy was looking at Jaylin Hunter. This guy said that Hunter is more likely an A-10 level player, but pretty interesting that a Providence coach would take the trip to see him. May not be a bad walk-on choice at all. He’s really athletic, has a pretty good handle and a nice lefty jumper. He didn’t have a great game tonight, but I certainly wouldn’t steer him away if he wanted to walk on. Why not?
Whose steering him away if he wants to walk on? Why are we assuming he even wants to be a walk on?

Reaction Score
Maybe he doesn't want to play for his dad?

Or maybe his dad won’t be at uconn for the next four years. Assistant coaches move around a lot and if we have some success he could be a head coaching candidate as well.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Or maybe he's interested because he can play a higher level of college basketball and still get free tuition since his dad is an employee of the university?

Reaction Score
Or maybe his dad won’t be at uconn for the next four years. Assistant coaches move around a lot and if we have some success he could be a head coaching candidate as well.

Good point. I recall Danny saying that he wanted to hire coaches who were on the cusp of being head coaches. On the other hand, I doubt Jaylin wants to go play at Fairfield or Quinnipiac or wherever it's realistic that Kenya gets a head coaching job, unless of course that is on par with his skill set.

Reaction Score
I don't know what he's thinking either way, but it's not crazy to think a kid wouldn't want to play for their dad. That being said, if you ever want to get into coaching down the road, walking on here and getting the ins and outs from your dad and a staff like this sets you up pretty good.

Reaction Score

He does. But that was before he got some D1 offers.

I have scouted Jaylin a few times this year for my team. We're not beating East... just part of our coaching practice.

Unlike Mcguirl he won't score just because he can. Recognizeswhen he needs to take over. Mike was a little selfish in that way. Jaylin is really good at recognizing the hot hand on his team, and getting high percentage shots for himself. Solid high energy defender. He does a little bit of everything (not a great shooter yet), but isn't a pure PG despite being 6'1.

Shooting form is wonky (@Walker11 )--turns his body sideways. Would need to change that to be more consistent and successful D1.

All of this is in the CCC not Nepsac. So who knows how he translates. It's hard to jduge.

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score

I have scouted Jaylin a few times this year for my team. We're not beating East... just part of our coaching practice.

Unlike Mcguirl he won't score just because he can. Recognizeswhen he needs to take over. Mike was a little selfish in that way. Jaylin is really good at recognizing the hot hand on his team, and getting high percentage shots for himself. Solid high energy defender. He does a little bit of everything (not a great shooter yet), but isn't a pure PG despite being 6'1.

Shooting form is wonky (@Walker11 )--turns his body sideways. Would need to change that to be more consistent and successful D1.

All of this is in the CCC not Nepsac. So who knows how he translates. It's hard to jduge.

Given Alterique's uncertain health and the scholarship reduction next year, Jaylin would be huge as quality depth at PG for UConn.

Reaction Score
Given Alterique's uncertain health and the scholarship reduction next year, Jaylin would be huge as quality depth at PG for UConn.

Give brocke a chance!

Reaction Score
This would be the perfect walk-on but what are the odds he walks on at UConn if he can get a scholarship somewhere else? I’d think low.

Reaction Score
This would be the perfect walk-on but what are the odds he walks on at UConn if he can get a scholarship somewhere else? I’d think low.
Second this, not even thinking about playing time, but if he can get a full ride somewhere, thats a lot more money than just free tuition. Not sure how Connecticut works, but at least in MA, it’s super easy to get free tuition to the state flagship. I think like more than half my graduating high school class got free tuition because they scored a good enough score on the standardized testing (which is saying something since my school was extremely average, if not below average).

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
We’re calling him a walk-on because he is the son of a full time university employee and gets free tuition.
I know that. Why are we assuming he wants to backup here? He’d have a lot better of a chance of playing at one of these lower level schools that he’s receiving offers from.

Reaction Score
Second this, not even thinking about playing time, but if he can get a full ride somewhere, thats a lot more money than just free tuition. Not sure how Connecticut works, but at least in MA, it’s super easy to get free tuition to the state flagship. I think like more than half my graduating high school class got free tuition because they scored a good enough score on the standardized testing (which is saying something since my school was extremely average, if not below average).

His dad is making 315,000 this year. He made MORE when he was at Nebraska. Money isn't an issue. His basketball future is priority #1. He has a chance to make a lot of money playing professionally or coaching if he makes the right career decisions. Kenya will help him make the right decision--whether it's uconn or not.

Reaction Score
I know to us it sounds crazy to want to go be under your father's watch in college, but it seems to me that we've played against a number of sons of head coaches, why not an assistant? Why not us!?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I know that. Why are we assuming he wants to backup here? He’d have a lot better of a chance of playing at one of these lower level schools that he’s receiving offers from.
I’m not sure anyone is assuming that. Just thinking it’s a possibility

Reaction Score

I watched him play once. Very high BBIQ, tight handle, unselfish and his shot when I saw him looks promising (will become consistant at the next level). I was pleasantly surprised. He defended well (good lateral quickness) and I think he has several things going for him that could translate well at UConn in a specific role. I am buying stock as a contributor down the line.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
Unless he doesn’t want to play for his dad, he’s coming to UConn. He’s basically getting a scholarship, it just won’t take away one. Anyways, UConn is better than any school looking at him so it’s a no brainer.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Basically it comes down to:
He has a place on the UConn team next year if his father is still AHC
If he has a chance to get more PT at a school in a less competitive environment he likes - he's going there
It's up to him and to a lessor degree, his parents

BTW - if PC thinks he can play at that level then it's crazy he would not play at UConn (unless he doesn't want to be affiliated with his father but talking to kids at East Catholic, it doesn't sound that to be an issue)

Reaction Score

Do you think he is the best player on East?

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Do you think he is the best player on East?
One of my friends coached against East last week and he said Jaylin was their best player. Although Joey Reilly is also really good, but not a D1 prospect to my knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom