OT: Jay Wright | The Boneyard

OT: Jay Wright

Reaction Score
Watching them play Tennessee. Theyre losing right now, but I was just thinking I'd love to see Ollie build a team like his over the last few years.

Not a lot of 5 star talent, but they are fundamentally sound with a roster full of winners, usually. They're 4 out offrnse with secondary cutters, post ups, etc. Is really effecient. They have some really nice sets. They jump stop, pivot, and pass sooo naturally compared to some of our players in years past. Almost no swinging on the perimeter

On D their 2-2-1 is similar to what we're going for now, actually. We might have some more length up front though.

Unfortunately, Ollie didn't have 7+ years at a low-major to work out the kinks, and we're seeing that result now.

Reaction Score
I always had a lot of respect for Jay Wright. He seems like a genuinely nice and down to earth guy. Theres certain players/coaches that you don’t “boo” when they come into your buliding and Jay Wright is one of them.

Reaction Score
Watching them play Tennessee. Theyre losing right now, but I was just thinking I'd love to see Ollie build a team like his over the last few years.

Not a lot of 5 star talent, but they are fundamentally sound with a roster full of winners, usually. They're 4 out offrnse with secondary cutters, post ups, etc. Is really effecient. They have some really nice sets. They jump stop, pivot, and pass sooo naturally compared to some of our players in years past. Almost no swinging on the perimeter

On D their 2-2-1 is similar to what we're going for now, actually. We might have some more length up front though.

Unfortunately, Ollie didn't have 7+ years at a low-major to work out the kinks, and we're seeing that result now.

Go back and look at Jay Wright's history for Villanova.
He's had a great many down years and they stuck with him.
He's had time to work out the kinks AT Villanova.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Go back and look at Jay Wright's history for Villanova.
He's had a great many down years and they stuck with him.
He's had time to work out the kinks AT Villanova.

He had the conference to fall back on though. And less expectations to deal with.

Reaction Score
Crazy to think where they are now compared to when Nova fans wanted to fire him when they bottomed out with that Malik Wayns/Dominic Cheek team that had a losing record

Reaction Score
^ Yeah, Wright has always been the comforting tale I've gone to when arguing in favor of Ollie. In fairness, Wright had more sustained success before he bottomed out than did Ollie, but it goes to show how, when you're not at a blue blood, all it really takes is one down cycle on the recruiting trail to steer things off course for a few years. Boeheim, Pitino, Donovan, etc. have had this happen as well.

Reaction Score
Happy they pulled off the W. We need Nova ranked as high as possible when we beat them. Too bad AZ and WSU took a dump, but they’ll bounce back.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
^ Yeah, Wright has always been the comforting tale I've gone to when arguing in favor of Ollie. In fairness, Wright had more sustained success before he bottomed out than did Ollie, but it goes to show how, when you're not at a blue blood, all it really takes is one down cycle on the recruiting trail to steer things off course for a few years. Boeheim, Pitino, Donovan, etc. have had this happen as well.

Even blue bloods go through it ... See UCLA, UNC, UK.

Reaction Score
Yea after some of his high end recruits didn't live up to expectations and the team underperformed Wright switched up his whole recruiting approach, something that we're seeing KO do now. Hopefully we see a similar turnaround, I do like the guys he's brought in with the last class and upcoming class, as the OP pointed out KO didnt have the luxury of learning how to build a team at the mid major level before jumping up to the high level.

Reaction Score
Even blue bloods go through it ... See UCLA, UNC, UK.

Right, but usually when a blue blood goes through a lull it means it's time to change coaches. Everywhere else, you could have a great coach and still struggle for a couple years just because that's life. UNC has been roaring ever since they canned Dohrety and brought in Roy, Kentucky needed to fire Tubby and bring in Cal, Indiana just fired Crean, UCLA just fired Howland, etc. Duke and Kansas have had stability for a while and they've been the most consistent programs in the country in that span.

Reaction Score
Great coach but all he did was cry about every single call when Nova was down in the first half against Tenn. I thought it was such a bad look I felt sorry for the guy. He'll be crying a lot in Hartford when UConn is taking it to his team.

Reaction Score
Hmmm

It wasn't Tubby to Cal. But if it makes your narrating ... frogging go for it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom