Jay Wright on Michael Kay | The Boneyard

Jay Wright on Michael Kay

Reaction Score
Hate to admit it but a real likeable guy, great sense of humor and obviously a very good coach. When asked how come he doesn’t go the one and done route like K or Calipari he said “because I can’t get them”. He’s trying just like everyone. He’s already been at Nova 17 seasons which were not always successful for him. Thinking we are starting something similar with Hurley. It takes time.

Reaction Score
17 seasons - wow. I went to his first Nova basketball camp. Doesn't feel THAT long ago...

Reaction Score
Don't know how some people dislike him. Seems very genuine and deferential. Great coach
Wasn’t this the guy that used to negative recruit against Calhoun really bad or am i misremembering? Like he’s sick and going to retire any day, et al. I really thought this was Jay Wright?

Reaction Score
Wasn’t this the guy that used to negative recruit against Calhoun really bad or am i misremembering? Like he’s sick and going to retire any day, et al. I really thought this was Jay Wright?
I believe you're thinking about Calipari when he was an assistant at Pitt.

Reaction Score
It takes a bit to adjust but it's miles better than the buffoon on the other station
I'd settle for equally as bad. The Kay show is corny, generic, and offers very little. Quoting Billy Joel at the end of each show could be the dumbest thing on radio.

Reaction Score
That was cancer / Lou Carnesecca.

But I seem to recall that around the time we lost out on the two Corey’s to him, fisher and stokes. But man my memory is getting hazy. I really think it was Wright, but if no one is verifying, i guess it was someone else.

Reaction Score

No I think rip is on to something, even Fishy pointed out to some back handed recruiting by Jay in his earlier years vs JC. Not sure of the extent but it was negative recruiting if I remember correctly. It sticks with me a little too over the years but listening to him and watching his teams play have endeared me to him as a coach and person. Kind of easy to see why kids go there I'm afraid.

Reaction Score
I met a guy that was recruited by Wright and Boeheim and played for Boeheim. He had some eye opening stories about the two men. He loves Wright and hates Boeheim.

Reaction Score
I'd settle for equally as bad. The Kay show is corny, generic, and offers very little. Quoting Billy Joel at the end of each show could be the dumbest thing on radio.
I don't particularly like Michael or Don, but they've grown on me. Rosenberg is easily the best part of the show though

Reaction Score
My friend's brother in law was Wright's assistant early on and they remain very close, he has spent a fair amount of time with Wright and says he's an awesome guy.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I met a guy that was recruited by Wright and Boeheim and played for Boeheim. He had some eye opening stories about the two men. He loves Wright and hates Boeheim.

Can't post that without details. This is the internet.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
No I think rip is on to something, even Fishy pointed out to some back handed recruiting by Jay in his earlier years vs JC. Not sure of the extent but it was negative recruiting if I remember correctly. It sticks with me a little too over the years but listening to him and watching his teams play have endeared me to him as a coach and person. Kind of easy to see why kids go there I'm afraid.
Confirmed for all the casual and newbie fans. That was expressed on The Boneyard years back. If it’s stated on the Boneyard it has to be true. Of course you should take what I say with a grain of salt.

Reaction Score
My friend's brother in law was Wright's assistant early on and they remain very close, he has spent a fair amount of time with Wright and says he's an awesome guy.
Confirmed. I got to meet Jay in 2013 at Dick Vitale’s V Foundation Gala. That was the year they honored Calhoun. Jay Wright was very cool and down to earth. We talked about the dismantling of the Big East and what crap that was. He is very involved with Vitale on raising $ for children fighting cancer. From my one interaction with him I would agree he’s an awesome guy. I’ve rooted hard for him ever since (except for against us in 2014 Tourney).

C

Chief00

All of the above including Wright. LOL

Those were the days of feuds. I enjoyed the bad blood which further motivated Calhoun.

Other than that I have heard really good things about Wright. Met him a couple times - fun to talk to. I don’t hold the Big East bad blood times against him. It was all good competition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
All of the above including Wright. LOL

Those were the days of feuds. I enjoyed the bad blood which further motivated Calhoun.

Other than that I have heard really good things about Wright. Met him a couple times - fun to talk to. I don’t hold the Big East bad blood times against him. It was all good competition.
Jay Wright looked up to Calhoun and patterned much of what he's done at Nova off of Calhoun.

C

Chief00

Jay Wright looked up to Calhoun and patterned much of what he's done at Nova off of Calhoun.

True.
I wish we had more feuds like that in the AAC. Calhoun always looked for any small thing to motivate him or the team. It’s all good.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
EVERYONE did it
Yes Wright did it but that's the game
Does anyone think JC didn't do any sniping himself on recruiting visits?

C

Chief00

EVERYONE did it
Yes Wright did it but that's the game
Does anyone think JC didn't do any sniping himself on recruiting visits?

So true, it was all part of the competition. Poor old Jim, I hope he surprises the doctors and gets better soon. He is in our prayers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom