Jay Williams Tweet | The Boneyard

Jay Williams Tweet

Reaction Score
I'm sorry I had to make another thread but this has been bothering me all day: this whole firing of Ollie and the reaction from ESPN employees seems to mirror 1:1 when Edsall pulled the kid's scholly scenario from a year ago and Mike & Mike, Finebaum, Taylor Twellman, all the way down the line all tee'd up UConn as the main culprit of this act.

Here's a tweet from Jay Williams I just saw:

Does he and other ESPN employees not realize the program is under NCAA investigation currently? Do they know what the findings of said investigation are?

If there is nothing that comes of the investigation, fine I agree with the premise above but I see every ESPN talking head going off on the university again as if KO doesn't leave the program under scrutiny for potential recruiting violations.

We already know Adams/Larrier both almost didn't play against SMU for who knows what precisely and that there may have been some other recruiting violations for players not even here that are unspecified at this time.

Reaction Score
Jay Williams is a big KO fan. That's all it is - he's covering for his guy. He'll never mention the crap job KO has done the last 2 years.

I find the Hurley thing interesting - what's he implying, that UConn asked Calhoun to check with Hurley on his interest in being the next head coach? I assume the answer to that is yes?

Reaction Score
They like KO. Without knowing the details yet, the "just cause" is going to draw ire. JC had a few brushes with the NCAA and we never heard "Just cause", cause he won.

UConn fans know he had to go. They should have negotiated a buyout behind closed doors. This looks sloppy.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Good luck finding a media guy who coached or played agreeing with a coach getting fired. Most of these guys run in the same circles and end up as colleagues sometimes. I would bet half the national basketball coverage team at ESPN haven’t watched more tha a couple of our garbage efforts in the past two years.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
College sports is a brotherhood/sisterhood obviously those who played or coached will look out for one another .

Reaction Score
College sports is a brotherhood/sisterhood obviously those who played or coached will look out for one another .

I get that and I would understand standing by KO that he was going to turn it around, he's a great coach, etc., etc. but to have issue with the "just cause" aspect when none of us truly know what happened.

I can't stand here and make an argument that UConn going the "just cause" route makes sense or doesn't because we don't know what happened and if there will be any punishment for it.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I get that and I would understand standing by KO that he was going to turn it around, he's a great coach, etc., etc. but to have issue with the "just cause" aspect when none of us truly know what happened.

I can't stand here and make an argument that UConn going the "just cause" route makes sense or doesn't because we don't know what happened and if there will be any punishment for it.

I was strictly talking about Jay Wills tweet

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Jay Williams has always been buddy-buddy with KO and honestly sees himself as a future "player's coach" type mold of individual so it makes sense he continues to push that agenda here.

I don't think there's malice from the upper management or any talking points being pushed just yet, but JW his always been an outspoken fan of KO.

Reaction Score
"Just cause" is just business. As is KO's fighting against it. Both sides knew this was coming. I think UConn ultimately wins, hopefully, but it's wrong to act like the whole investigation is invalid. ESPN is the first to jump on the news of an inquiry.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
IMG_0341.PNG

Reaction Score
Like several posters here, JW doesn't have the information that DB has. None of us does.
He's a big Ollie fan? I'll bet 100 bucks he wouldn't want him to be K's successor.
There's going to be fallout from this because Ollie was a - at first - successful, young black coach. Hard to believe anybody would hire him as a head coach at DI or above. This move - which was required and correct - is going to be seen as the end of his head coaching career.

Also like "paint was already on the wall." Lol. I guess it could have been an unpainted wall. This is a Dook grad, right?

Reaction Score
People on this board are kidding themselves if they don't think we look like huge weasels trying to get out of this contract.

If it's something egregious, then fine. But if they're trying to wiggle free based on some technicality then it's a really bad look for the school.

Reaction Score
Sure, yet Williams' logic appears to remain impaired following his motorcycle-enabled career ending run in of his brain and a immobile stoplight. Other than that, great point Jay!

Reaction Score
It'll interesting to see how this pans out. I tend to agree with J Williams regarding JC's convo with Hurley, although there is no crime in that. It's obvious KO has not performed well as the coach imo. Yeah, the National Championship - but I felt like he got lucky at the right moment and the right players he inherited; and the coaching staff there already. He parlayed that with NBA interest to a huge deal, and subsequently did a horrible job. He really doesn't deserve his current salary much less any future money imo. However the contract was in place and hope it works to for UCONN financially.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom