OT: - Jaskson, Mississippi area, things to do there? | The Boneyard

OT: Jaskson, Mississippi area, things to do there?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
anyone lives or visited this area before... reviews, comments, likes and dislikes accepted.

Jackson Airport

thanks!

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I’ve spent more time than I’d care to admit to in Mississippi, and my only must do in Jackson is the new(ish) Mississippi Civil Rights Museum. Very powerful and well done.

Reaction Score
1. Civil Rights Museum
2. MS History Museum
3. Eudora Welty House
4. Natchez Trace

I can give you some restaurants depending on where you are staying? Are you in downtown Jackson?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Ya got me. Though I could probably tell you a bunch of things you shouldn't do there.

Reaction Score
anyone lives or visited this area before... reviews, comments, likes and dislikes accepted.

Jackson Airport

thanks!
Use to be a BBQ place close to airport, some of best BBQ ribs and baked beans I ever tasted, sorry do not remember the name but it was a local favorite.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
1. Civil Rights Museum
2. MS History Museum
3. Eudora Welty House
4. Natchez Trace

I can give you some restaurants depending on where you are staying? Are you in downtown Jackson?
Ridgeland area, I think that’s the name

Reaction Score
The Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame is pretty enlightening as it normally surprises people the number of athletes from the state to include:
Walter Payton
Jerry Rice
Brett Farve
Archie Manning
Jackie Slater
Bailey Howell
Marcus Dupree
Dizzy Dean

That is who I remember off the top of head but there are also several women’s basketball players. They also have some great radio broadcasts from events like Mississippi State’s World Series baseball teams.

The Atlanta Braves AA baseball team is in Pearl, the town adjacent to Jackson. There are often major league players doing rehab stints. It’s a first class park.

There is a gym that belongs to the MBA organization where Mississippi players who play in the NBA and overseas play pickup games. It is sometimes hit or miss who you might see. However depending on the day you could have a couple of NBA guys beating up on some of the local guys.

If you like steak go to Elys restaurant in Ridgeland or for Redfish or Lambchops go to Walkers Drive In downtown. It’s an old fiftys drive in they have turned into a high end restaurant. They have the best wine selection.

For breakfast eat at Primos in Madison. It’s an old bakery from early 1900s that now has three locations in the metro. Get the early bird platter.

For lunch go to Pig and Pint for barbecue, George Street for the bologna sandwich, Babaloos for tacos, Manship, Lous or Pizza Shack.

Reaction Score

Jackson Airport

thanks!

I heard of this scam before, you want us to send money? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

You're probably staying by the shopping center there because that's where the hotels are.

1. Georgia Blue- Southern
2. Primos- blue plates, bakery, breakfast. Best caramel cake I've ever had
3. Local 463- a little more expensive
4. Sombra- Mexican
5. Newk's- this is a chain, but it's only in the South. They have pizzas, sandwiches, salads.
6. Soulshine Pizza

There are the usual chains in that area too because of the shopping center. The really original restaurants we have are downtown.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
If you are interested in government agencies carrying out raids, ICE has been very active thereabouts today. :rolleyes:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think there are some interesting things to do related to Faulkner.

Reaction Score
You're probably staying by the shopping center there because that's where the hotels are.

1. Georgia Blue- Southern
2. Primos- blue plates, bakery, breakfast. Best caramel cake I've ever had
3. Local 463- a little more expensive
4. Sombra- Mexican
5. Newk's- this is a chain, but it's only in the South. They have pizzas, sandwiches, salads.
6. Soulshine Pizza

There are the usual chains in that area too because of the shopping center. The really original restaurants we have are downtown.
I forgot about Local 463. It is great.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Dance on a pony keg. Wreck your health. Teach em what they don't know how.

Reaction Score
I lived in both Ridgeland and Jackson. I liked to visit the Jackson Zoo. Ross Barnett Reservoir is pretty. The minor league baseball games are fun to attend. I was young then, and playing softball and volleyball on city and church league teams were my favorite activities. Any big city like Jackson has great places to eat and shop. My favorite restaurant was called The Whitehouse. Community style seating with lazy susans in the middle of big round tables and GREAT home cooking. Think I heard it closed down years ago.

Jackson is a real nice city. Hope you have a great time.

Reaction Score
I spent the night at the jail there. Needed a place to stay but, being right after the "Freedom Rides" 1963 (and my having a scruffy red beard and driving an MG TD) it got a little dicey. I did not get out at my appointed wake up call and "enjoyed" breakfast on the government. Such that, I never asked to stay free in another jail. Interesting time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom