James Madison | The Boneyard

James Madison

Reaction Score
They are very good. They get the most out of their players. Their problem is that UVA and VT are close neighbors.

Reaction Score
They are very good. They get the most out of their players. Their problem is that UVA and VT are close neighbors.
True - it will be difficult going toe to toe with the other two you mentioned, but they have a nice on-campus stadium (expandable) and strength facilities, great game-day experience, and are a football-first AD. So, along with being a state school and their recent success/momentum they have a good chance at continually climbing the ladder.

Reaction Score
That program seems to be ready for FBS football... already

Can the school afford it???? Maybe another Villanova “let’s think about this”. With an endowment of $116 million, I think they’ll think it over. It’s like Marist fielding an FBS football team.

Reaction Score
What’s to think over @ this point?
Having a good team this year vs no money to fund it at the FBS level. Will they have the same team next year or the year after that? FBS or not, something to think over. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Can the school afford it???? Maybe another Villanova “let’s think about this”. With an endowment of $116 million, I think they’ll think it over. It’s like Marist fielding an FBS football team.
They're a state school (don't let their name fool you) and have strong support in the Legislature. They have a campus second to none - hundreds of millions of dollars spent on academic buildings, dorms, rec and athletic complexes/stadiums in the past 10 years or so. They get lots of academic research grants being close enough to DC... Their pockets are deep enough - no worries.

Reaction Score
They're a state school (don't let their name fool you) and have strong support in the Legislature. They have a campus second to none - hundreds of millions of dollars spent on academic buildings, dorms, rec and athletic complexes/stadiums in the past 10 years or so. They get lots of academic research grants being close enough to DC... Their pockets are deep enough - no worries.
I just don’t buy it. The endowment is only $116 million, and they have UVA, UM, and UWV as neighbors. They’ll always be a small fish.

Reaction Score
I just don’t buy it. The endowment is only $116 million, and they have UVA, UM, and UWV as neighbors. They’ll always be a small fish.
“Even with the volatility created by the pandemic, the endowment was able to achieve a record 32.0% growth during FY21 for a year end market value of $154.7 million.”

They made the jump from FCS to FBS in one year and fully funded the 85 scholarships.

Reaction Score
Fine if you want to think that it'll be difficult to compete against those schools, but it's not a true comp - you're comping against programs that have 50 years+ of D1 football background. No one said they'd be in that level, only you brought that up. I don't put much stock in the endowment angle, otherwise the Ivies would be at the top of college football. Endowments don't win football games.

Reaction Score
“Even with the volatility created by the pandemic, the endowment was able to achieve a record 32.0% growth during FY21 for a year end market value of $154.7 million.”

They made the jump from FCS to FBS in one year and fully funded the 85 scholarships.
Have they upgraded the stadium yet and other facilities? The endowment is listed now at $116 million which can only mean the jump to FBS dropped the endowment by around 30%. They will need some donations from rich benefactors to keep this going. I hope they succeed and maybe they will but I have my doubts.

Reaction Score
They spent the last twenty years as one of the better programs in FCS and will be competing against ODU and Marshall not UVA and WVU. Facilities and endowments place them in the middle of the Sun Belt, and it is an attractive school. Our endowment sucked/sucks compared to everyone in the Big East and ACC save maybe WVU and there is no correlation between endowment size and past Sun Belt champions. They applied and have been accepted to a FBS conference where both parties think they will be competitive. Only time will really tell.

Reaction Score
JMU competes in the Sun Belt so it's proximity to UVA and VPI is not a problem, I don't think.

Reaction Score
Spent the night in Harrisonburg last night traveling down south. I played in the Valley League (collegiate baseball league) for the Harrisonburg Turks in the mid 70s, so I am very familiar with the area.

Drove around the campus last night and I must say it is a great looking campus. The football team was practicing while I was there at their complex on the east side of I-81. It was the first time I have seen their new sports complex and I was highly impressed. Good looking football stadium as well as a brand new basketball arena. Lots of money has been invested in the program. It may take them a couple of years to adjust to FBS, but talking to a few people I know around here, they are all in. Plus, immediate built-in rivals in Appalachian State, ODU, and Marshall in the Sun Belt.

Reaction Score
JMU is not close to DC. Their town is nice but theyre no closer than UVA

Reaction Score
Have they upgraded the stadium yet and other facilities? The endowment is listed now at $116 million which can only mean the jump to FBS dropped the endowment by around 30%. They will need some donations from rich benefactors to keep this going. I hope they succeed and maybe they will but I have my doubts.
Can you provide a link that shows the endowment is “now at $116 million” when the link I gave you shows it is @ $154.7m @ end of FY21.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Can you provide a link that shows the endowment is “now at $116 million” when the link I gave you shows it is @ $154.7m @ end of FY21.
I have no pony here, but I expect everyone’s endowment will take a bit in current market (unless contributions outstrip losses).

Reaction Score
I have no pony here, but I expect everyone’s endowment will take a bit in current market (unless contributions outstrip losses).
No doubt… but I can’t find any reference to the $116m he continues to reference other than for back in 2020. (“The endowment is listed now at $116 million which can only mean the jump to FBS dropped the endowment by around 30%.”)

Reaction Score
If we've learned anything over the last 20 years it's that while money is certainly important, smart leadership and a singular commitment to succeed are what really matter. If the boosters, legislators, the JM President and Board are all in for FBS--why not them? Plus, they're on our schedule. We need to be competing against an FBS rather than FCS James Madison. Our FCS opponents should be local.

Reaction Score
JMU is not close to DC. Their town is nice but theyre no closer than UVA
Correct, but because they are in VA and have ties to DC, etc., they get much more than their share of research grants, etc. Look it up. :)

Reaction Score
No doubt… but I can’t find any reference to the $116m he continues to reference other than for back in 2020. (“The endowment is listed now at $116 million which can only mean the jump to FBS dropped the endowment by around 30%.”)
I wouldn't worry about the endowment and that poster's great concern that it makes any difference. They aren't adding many scholarships because they were already operating near 85 due to COVID rules, so that expense will be minimal with the move. In fact in a few years the move is making them money. Bumping the athletic budget up a million or two before those revenues balance it out is not going to affect the endowment of a place that already has a 60 million dollar athletic budget and 700 million dollar yearly budget.

Reaction Score
within the sun belt conference wiki, it referenced the 2020 year published Feb. 19, 2021
edit: They probably received a bump in donations moving up to FBS

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom