Jamelle Elliott | The Boneyard

Jamelle Elliott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A Cincinnati message broad said she was let go. The poster said she had a couple years left on her contract. The poster was uncertain if her termination was effective immediately.

Reaction Score
Jamelle is still listed as coach on the Lady Bearcats website.

Reaction Score
1. It takes time to turn around a perennially bad program
2. It does not make sense to let Elliott go with years remaining on her contract. A change in the coaching staff is not going to make an immediate difference at the University of Cincinnati. Stay the course.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I've always been a fan of Jamelle, and UConnNation will forever be grateful to her for her significant contribution to the university's first ever national championship in BB, but she's already had more than enough time to get things turned around with the Bearcats and she hasn't gotten that job done.

If she has been fired, I can't blame the administration at Cincinnati. They are currently in a battle with us and several other schools to gain P5 admission. While women's BB has little to do with that, any place you can improve your overall athletic program is worth the effort in their current position. We are certainly emphasizing our No. 1 women's BB program as a possible addition to any P5 conference's existing or future conference-wide cable TV network. 24/7/365 conference TV networks need a lot of content.

If she has been let go, I wish Jamelle all the best, and hopefully she will have no problem finding another coaching job if that's her preference.

Reaction Score
Seems that I remember a few threads here discussing how Cinnci wasn't really supporting their women's basketball program. Wasn't a priority. True?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
1. It takes time to turn around a perennially bad program
2. It does not make sense to let Elliott go with years remaining on her contract. A change in the coaching staff is not going to make an immediate difference at the University of Cincinnati. Stay the course.
Point 1 is pretty much what UConn Nick said in response. 7 years and the last 2 the worst suggests that you are not going to be successful.

Point 2 is better taken. Sharing our experience here at AZ our well respected AD is expected to be fiscally responsible. So, in spite of a relatively low salary just over $200K, he retained Coach Butts until her contract ended, rather than pay her "not to coach". Then he hired Coach Barnes (alum and experienced Assistant Coach at Washington) at a salary under $300K. In the paper, they were contrasting this with Colorado, that is paying its fired coach to "go away" something like $800K and paying the new coach (head coach at a non P5 school) over twice what we are paying Coach Barnes. It will be interesting (long term) to see which appears to be the better route.

Speaking to your point 2, I would think that Cincinnati (about the same record as AZ) won't turn around all that fast, so retain the coach and save the money if there isn't any urgency - then make the right choice to follow her.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Point 1 is pretty much what UConn Nick said in response. 7 years and the last 2 the worst suggests that you are not going to be successful.

Point 2 is better taken. Sharing our experience here at AZ our well respected AD is expected to be fiscally responsible. So, in spite of a relatively low salary just over $200K, he retained Coach Butts until her contract ended, rather than pay her "not to coach". Then he hired Coach Barnes (alum and experienced Assistant Coach at Washington) at a salary under $300K. In the paper, they were contrasting this with Colorado, that is paying its fired coach to "go away" something like $800K and paying the new coach (head coach at a non P5 school) over twice what we are paying Coach Barnes. It will be interesting (long term) to see which appears to be the better route.

Speaking to your point 2, I would think that Cincinnati (about the same record as AZ) won't turn around all that fast, so retain the coach and save the money if there isn't any urgency - then make the right choice to follow her.

The problem for Cincinnati is they don't have the luxury of ignoring the situation because they're firmly positioned in a P5 conference like Arizona is. They have a much greater sense of urgency involved. Also, they're literally surrounded by high profile, successful WCBB powers (OSU, Louisville and Kentucky). They must be thinking that coaching is the only thing holding them back, considering these other three successful programs are in their immediate backyard. There must be considerable local area talent there that the Bearcats just aren't getting, for whatever reasons.

Seven years is more than enough time for any coach to show some positive results. The contract buyout is relative chump change compared with what schools are faced with in the revenue producing sports. A few hundred thousand won't be given a second thought.

Reaction Score
If IRC, Jamelle's teams have had a plethora of injuries over the years, and at one time only had seven ? healthy players to put on the court. IMO I don't believe that the problem is her coaching ability (or not).

Reaction Score
Jamelle is not the problem in Cincy, its the Administration and there lack of support..........Geno could not win in Cincy........There might be a coach in DC that might want here on her staff.............

Reaction Score
Jamelle is not the problem in Cincy, its the Administration and there lack of support..........Geno could not win in Cincy........There might be a coach in DC that might want here on her staff.............

Reaction Score
I really don't think the suits at Cincinnati are giving WBB a fair shake and therefore not giving Jamille a fair shake!
There are articles in forbes.com only 4 teams reported revenue over $4 million and none had a profit over $500,000
and swishappeal.com tied in that WCBB doesn't get donations like several men's sports do!
swishappeal.com Nov. 12, 2013: figures by Kristi Dosh "Why Women's College BB Operates at a Deficit"
19 schools on list I used those 4 below
Revenue Expenses Net Revenue Contributions
UCONN $4,704,571 $6,037,412 $1,332,841 $389,033
TN $4,538,252 $6,586,982 $2,048,730 $1,079,926
MD $668,528 $2,904,054
$2,235,526 $10,219
L'ville $959,351 $3,279,449 $2,320,098 $193,074
ND & Baylor no report as they are private institutions
no report for SoCar

money.cnn.com Nothing but net:BB dollars by school March 16, 2010

Last edited:

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Jamelle is not the problem in Cincy, its the Administration and there lack of support.....Geno could not win in Cincy...There might be a coach in DC that might want here on her staff...

Auriemma would win in Cincinnati. He has something that Elliott seems to lack - recruiting skills.

Reaction Score
Auriemma would win in Cincinnati. He has something that Elliott seems to lack - recruiting skills.

You forgot the most important thing, LUCK.

If Kerry Bascom and Rebecca Lobo had gone somewhere else, Geno could still be driving a truck today. He is talented and had a chance to show it, Most other coaches don't.

Reaction Score

If Kerry Bascom and Rebecca Lobo had gone somewhere else, Geno could still be driving a truck today. He is talented and had a chance to show it, Most other coaches don't.
why is it luck that Kerry and Rebecca chose UConn? vtcbuff thinks recruiting is a skill--and isn't that's right? the same social and rhetorical skills that Geno uses to coach and inspire his team are what he uses to approach potential recruits honestly and fairly.

Reaction Score
why is it luck that Kerry and Rebecca chose UConn? vtcbuff thinks recruiting is a skill--and isn't that's right? the same social and rhetorical skills that Geno uses to coach and inspire his team are what he uses to approach potential recruits honestly and fairly.

I didn't come to that conclusion. Geno did and mentioned it multiple times. You can Google it.

Reaction Score
I didn't come to that conclusion. Geno did and mentioned it multiple times. You can Google it.
I'm sure he says it was luck. He has to live with his fellow coaches. He's also said that it's not luck that UConn gets such great talent. He's said that it's part of what UConn pays him for: the ability to attract great talent. But I bet that if we sat down and talked it over, we'd find that we pretty much agree on everything but semantics!

Reaction Score
I'm sure he says it was luck. He has to live with his fellow coaches. He's also said that it's not luck that UConn gets such great talent. He's said that it's part of what UConn pays him for: the ability to attract great talent. But I bet that if we sat down and talked it over, we'd find that we pretty much agree on everything but semantics!

No doubt that he can recruit. He also wrote that "there are two types of coaches, coaches who can recruit and ex-coaches". Like I said, without the first two, Kerry and Rebecca, that got him going...

Reaction Score

This reminds me of the line about Sandy Koufax: "He's just lucky, every time he pitches the other team is in a slump.";):p

Reaction Score
7 years and the last 2 the worst suggests that you are not going to be successful.

I love Jamelle, but this sums it up.

If this were any other coach, no one on this board would be making excuses. With the addition of the former C-USA teams, I thought Cinci would move up to the middle of the conference pack, but it hasn't. She has had enough time to get her players and coach them, and they have not produced.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

Auriemma recognized the talents of Bascom and Lobo and he successfully recruited them. That's not luck. He might say that it was luck, but then again Auriemma says lots of things. Consider that he was just being his humble self.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Auriemma recognized the talents of Bascom and Lobo and he successfully recruited them. That's not luck. He might say that it was luck, but then again Auriemma says lots of things. Consider that he was just being his humble self.
You folks are really getting worked up over wording.

Yes, Geno successfully recruited them. He had his pitch (of future success) and of the virtues of UConn and what he was offering and they signed up. The element of luck is that 2 very good players were, in fact, the sort of folks that were willing to accept what he was offering and didn't want instant gratification or a team with a highly successful record. They could have said no.

There is no comparing this to today, when he is offering a proven product. The element of luck is much, much smaller.

Reaction Score
There is not the slightest hint on the Cincinnati women's basketball web site that
Jamelle has been let go.

On the contrary, there is an extensive piece on a newly hired assistant coach who,
it seems to me, would not be getting hired at this time if they were going to let
Jamelle go. There's also a piece touting Jamelle's involvement with Olympic basketball.

Sounds like a bum rumor to me.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I very pleased to hear that Cincinnati has not given up on Elliott. I continue to pull for her and her program.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There is not the slightest hint on the Cincinnati women's basketball web site that
Jamelle has been let go.

On the contrary, there is an extensive piece on a newly hired assistant coach who,
it seems to me, would not be getting hired at this time if they were going to let
Jamelle go. There's also a piece touting Jamelle's involvement with Olympic basketball.

Sounds like a bum rumor to me.
Speaking of rumors I read on another blog that Geno interviewed for the vacant Knicks head coaching position recently and did not get the job. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom