OT: Jameis Winston accuser tried to extort him (allegedly) | The Boneyard

OT: Jameis Winston accuser tried to extort him (allegedly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Doesn't necessarily mean anything. Nor does it make it extortion. Her lawyer may well have seen the writing on the wall and realized there was a 0% chance they'd get a fair trial in Tallahassee.

Reaction Score
Of course that's extortion. He was never charged with a crime. She demanded $7 million from him under threat of attacking his character and permanently tarnishing his reputation for something he was never charged with, nevermind convicted of. I know he's been convicted of rape on this board, but the alleged victim had semen from two different men on her clothes, and the alleged assault took place with multiple people in the room, but nobody corroborated her story. Her blood alcohol level was .04 (under the legal limit to drive) and she showed no outward signs of physical trauma. These are the comments from the State Attorney, not Tallahassee PD.

The TPD handled this case poorly, but that doesn't mean she was raped. Did she demand $7 million from the other man? No. She demanded money from the football star in an attempt to extort him.

Reaction Score
Was he a star at the time all of that happened? I thought he hadn't taken a snap yet?

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Of course that's extortion. He was never charged with a crime. She demanded $7 million from him under threat of attacking his character and permanently tarnishing his reputation for something he was never charged with, nevermind convicted of. I know he's been convicted of rape on this board, but the alleged victim had semen from two different men on her clothes, and the alleged assault took place with multiple people in the room, but nobody corroborated her story. Her blood alcohol level was .04 (under the legal limit to drive) and she showed no outward signs of physical trauma. These are the comments from the State Attorney, not Tallahassee PD.

The TPD handled this case poorly, but that doesn't mean she was raped. Did she demand $7 million from the other man? No. She demanded money from the football star in an attempt to extort him.

Agreed. Jameis is an entitled immature punk, but what she did definitely amounts to extortion in my opinion. 4 days AFTER not receiving any money, she went to the media.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Was he a star at the time all of that happened? I thought he hadn't taken a snap yet?

She didn't bring the case until he was a star. It came up last year while he was in the Heisman race, not 2 years ago when the event happened and he was redshirting.

Reaction Score
Admittedly, I haven't kept up with that case from start. But between that incident, the beebee gun thing, the stolen crab legs, and the stading on the table and yelling "fugg her right in the puggy", I don't get the idea he is real good kid. How many kids survive that many incidents at one school? Answer, one good enough to win the heisman and lead you to a national championship.

Now I could be wrong, he may be a really good kid. I don't know enough about as him as a person and while I don't eat em, my mother in law loves crab legs enough to try and sneak some out of the chinese buffet in her purse.

Reaction Score
Admittedly, I haven't kept up with that case from start. But between that incident, the beebee gun thing, the stolen crab legs, and the stading on the table and yelling "fugg her right in the puggy", I don't get the idea he is real good kid. How many kids survive that many incidents at one school? Answer, one good enough to win the heisman and lead you to a national championship.

Now I could be wrong, he may be a really good kid. I don't know enough about as him as a person and while I don't eat em, my mother in law loves crab legs enough to try and sneak some out of the chinese buffet in her purse.

There's a pretty wide gap between not being a "real good kid" and "rapist".

Reaction Score
Don't think you know what extortion means.

If she had said "pay me or I will go tell people you raped me" that is extortion.

She has already done that. What she is saying is that I will let this go if you pay me. Which is standard operating practice anytime someone has deep pockets. I'm not saying she is right. But it isn't extortion.

Reaction Score
The fact that it was coming from her lawyer makes me believe it must have come from a settlement offer for a civil trial. Maybe a lawyer on this board could shed some light on a code of ethics but this being the case couldn't the lawyer be disbarred?

It's tough to tell though the article was pretty poorly written.

Reaction Score
Don't think you know what extortion means.

If she had said "pay me or I will go tell people you raped me" that is extortion.

She has already done that. What she is saying is that I will let this go if you pay me. Which is standard operating practice anytime someone has deep pockets. I'm not saying she is right. But it isn't extortion.

I don't think you read the article. She said "pay me or I will go tell people you raped me." He didn't pay her, 4 days later she went to the media. She didn't demand the money yesterday, this happened over a year ago.

(In fairness to her, her lawyer denies the demand but acknowledged "settlements were discussed".)

Reaction Score

Oh please stop. It is only extortion if she doesn't believe he raped her. If she does believe she was raped, she has every right to bring a civil lawsuit and, in lieu of putting herself through that, of offering to settle the litigation for money.

It must be great to be so omnipotent that we're comfortable not just criticizing a coach's decision not to pass but a woman who claims that she is a rape victim.

Reaction Score
Oh please stop. It is only extortion if she doesn't believe he raped her. If she does believe she was raped, she has every right to bring a civil lawsuit and, in lieu of putting herself through that, of offering to settle the litigation for money.

It must be great to be so omnipotent that we're comfortable not just criticizing a coach's decision not to pass but a woman who claims that she is a rape victim.
Did she ever actually file a civil suit?

Reaction Score

She wasn't drunk, she didn't sustain any physical trauma, and she had semen from two men on her that night.

There's nothing about the allegations that suggests she was raped, which is why the state attorney didn't press charges. So I believe she wasn't raped. I base that on the conclusions of those who have seen more evidence than I have, and are responsible for upholding the law. They believe she wasn't raped. Therefore, I can believe that she was attempting to extort him.

I didn't say she didn't have a right to bring a civil lawsuit against him. You can file a civil lawsuit for just about anything, certainly you know that. Just because you have that right, doesn't mean your immune from criticism for exercising it under false pretenses. I believe that's what she did, just like the woman who accused Kobe Bryant of rape. And I have the right to believe that, and to express that belief. You, of course, are free to disagree.

For the record, I didn't criticize Diaco's decision Friday. I didn't like it, but I understood it. But it must be great to be so omnipotent you can just lump anyone in with any opinion then criticize them for it.

Reaction Score
Did she ever actually file a civil suit?

Yes, with the office of Civil Rights, and Department of Education claiming title IX violations.

If he did rape her, I hope he burns in hell. But I don't think he did, and the State Attorney, who had the national media focusing on his investigation came to the conclusion that he shouldn't be charged with rape. The people that made death threats to her should serve time in jail, there's no excuse for that. But the only place he's been convicted of rape is public opinion, and that charge will follow him the rest of his life. I'd never want to discourage rape victims from coming forward, but I don't think it's fair to ignore the fact his reputation is permanently stained for something he very likely didn't do.

Reaction Score
He is not a very good guy.......he does a nice job acting the part but just the things he's done or not done, positions he's put himself in aren't pretty.

Reaction Score
He is not a very good guy..he does a nice job acting the part but just the things he's done or not done, positions he's put himself in aren't pretty.
You know it's funny, when anyone says that about the girl, it's victim blaming. Now, just what was the position he put himself in? He had sex, with a girl who was not drunk, whom he did not physically harm, and to whom he refused to pay $7 MILLION in order to keep her "quiet." So it's his fault he had what was quite obviously consensual sex (in at least the eyes of the law) with the wrong girl?

Sexist discrimination; applying one set of standards to one group and another to another group on the basis of some arbitrary feature, in this case, sex. It's misogyny as well; you tacitly remove agency from a woman's actions, which essentially equates them to children.

Reaction Score
The accuser has a new attorney...and he is walking into it.

....when some unidentified semen showed up on the accuser's shorts, the accuser said that her roommate had borrowed the shorts and that she took them back without washing.

a....the police and Winston's attorney have depositions that says that this is untrue. Monique (the rommmate) says that this did not happen.

b....the police, on a tip, traced down the DNA to a black football player who was in town (plays for an Ohio college). Who admitted to having sex with the accuser that day.

c,,,Winston's attorney says that the accuser's former attorney attempted to get Monique to lie for the accuser...(I bet he has this deposed as well).

d...the multiple stories...I was drunk and incapacitated, I was drugged, I was hit on the head...just didn't pan out.

e...the witness statements directly contradict the accuser. She ran after Winston and his roommates, jumped in the cab, and willingly went into his bedroom. She got angry when the roommates opened the door to kid them and saw them having sex...she got up and slammed the bedroom door shut.

f...there is far more evidence that this is a false accusation then that this was a valid complaint.

Reaction Score
Billy. You may be right. And she should be prosecuted if she made a false claim. Still not extortion. She went to the cops that night.

Reaction Score
There's a pretty wide gap between not being a "real good kid" and "rapist".
Oh no doubt, he just isn't someone I would give the benefit of the doubt however. There is just to much smoke with this kid. I've spent over 15 years working in the criminal justice system, and we sort of have a saying that the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. Not saying he previously raped someone or that he raped THIS girl. There is just too much smoke with this kid. If he didn't do it, hope he is vidicated and doesn't have to pay a dime, but there are only two people who know if what happened between them was totally consentual. Everyone else is guessing. They will have their civil trial where it will be a preponderance of the evidence vs innoncent without a shadow of a doubt, I remember that being described 51%, vs 95% in terms of whether they believe you did or didn't do something but I am sure that was an oversimplification.

Reaction Score
Billy. You may be right. And she should be prosecuted if she made a false claim. Still not extortion. She went to the cops that night.

Legal definition? probably not...the accuser's attorney approached and said.."we can make this go away for $7 million"...it is what it is...an offer.

All attorneys basically extort when offering a settlement...take this or you may suffer the consequences...kind of like plea bargains aren't really extortion. The DA loads up the charges and threatens unless one pleads out to the lesser charge. Extortion? Not legally.

Reaction Score
You know it's funny, when anyone says that about the girl, it's victim blaming. Now, just what was the position he put himself in? He had s e x, with a girl who was not drunk, whom he did not physically harm, and to whom he refused to pay $7 MILLION in order to keep her "quiet." So it's his fault he had what was quite obviously consensual s e x (in at least the eyes of the law) with the wrong girl?

s e xist discrimination; applying one set of standards to one group and another to another group on the basis of some arbitrary feature, in this case, s e x. It's misogyny as well; you tacitly remove agency from a woman's actions, which essentially equates them to children.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...es-jameis-winston-florida-state-seminoles-get

C'mon. Is he a good guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul