Jalen, Purvis, & Gibbs as a combo | The Boneyard

Jalen, Purvis, & Gibbs as a combo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They looked good. A lot of open looks from 3. Whipping the ball around pretty fast, and if you close on them, they can penetrate and dump it off to Brimah or Miller.

Reaction Score
It's what we envisioned the offense doing before the season started; just wish they'd be able to execute offense like that against teams not named USF.

I think this is different than what could have been earlier. Jalen is grown/growing up. This means Gibbs is off the ball. Rodney is Rodney. But the person not mentioned is DHam. And that is a big difference over what might have been earlier in the year. While DHam has a nice handle, I don't think he excels in that point forward role. Last night he was much more effective getting the ball in open space, and immediately making a move which allowed him to do what he does best--find the open man.

Reaction Score
I think this is different than what could have been earlier. Jalen is grown/growing up. This means Gibbs is off the ball. Rodney is Rodney. But the person not mentioned is DHam. And that is a big difference over what might have been earlier in the year. While DHam has a nice handle, I don't think he excels in that point forward role. Last night he was much more effective getting the ball in open space, and immediately making a move which allowed him to do what he does best--find the open man.
Thought about that but personally I never wanted DHam to be out on the perimeter a lot for us. Step out for an unexpected wide open 3, sure, but I've always wanted to see him at the free throw line as much as possible. He's only a great offensive facilitator once he gets to that level with the ball, and he has had some trouble getting there with the ball on his own.

Besides since DHam wasn't mentioned in your title/OP, I'm talking about how the offense was expected to work when he is out of the game or playing the 4 when one of the above comes in off the bench

Reaction Score
Thought about that but personally I never wanted DHam to be out on the perimeter a lot for us. Step out for an unexpected wide open 3, sure, but I've always wanted to see him at the free throw line as much as possible. He's only a great offensive facilitator once he gets to that level with the ball, and he has had some trouble getting there with the ball on his own.

Besides since DHam wasn't mentioned in your title/OP, I'm talking about how the offense was expected to work when he is out of the game or playing the 4 when one of the above comes in off the bench

Yes, like I said in my post, the lineup obviously has Hamilton on the bench.

I was just riffing off that to talk about why Hamilton in the game prevents the kind of danger of an Adams/Gibbs/Purvis lineup. The offense gets clogged up at the top of the key.

Reaction Score
I loved seeing Adams drive and dish something our guards haven't done all year its usually DHam passing to bigs. Need Adams to run the point and Purvis and Gibbs hitting open threes. Gibbs and Purvis drive and never look to dish to a big always try and score or kick it back out.

Reaction Score
Hamilton would still be a weapon, especially against the zone, if he was to receive the ball near the free throw line and look to pass/lob to a big while still having his dribble.

DHam just doesn't have the handle to penetrate, keep his dribble going and look to pass or score at the same time. I think it was a mistake to let him be the primary ball handler in the half court offense as much as we have (75% of our total minutes played this year).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom