Jalen Gaffney | The Boneyard

Jalen Gaffney

Reaction Score
IMO Gaffney put together a very nice game. Ran the offense better than he has ever before in the minutes he received. Solid over the head delivery to the open man during double teams he tempted Grambling to make on him and very nice aggresiveness to the rim with a few put back layups. We keep seeing this from him and we are starting to become a much more complete team.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Gaffney is not nearly the stiff some BYers make him out to be. So he’s not a star or a starter and has some flaws in his game . He’s got a decent number of assists for a back up, is one of our most accurate 3 point shooters and a good foul shooter. He gets out of control sometimes but so do some of the others. Jackson should shoot so well.(no I’m not comparing his game to Jackson.). Diggins is being anointed by some already and maybe he winds up getting a lot of time and becoming a star. But I don’t cringe when Gaffney is playing.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
ol jmoney could be leading the boys into the 2022, 2023, 2024 ncaa tourney, tho it feels like rj might be done after this season, sooooo prolly
jmoney palms it for us leading into the 2023 one as well.
the old guys love him becuz he delivers the ball to them when then can do something with it, and the new guys always look and listen when he speaks. watch their faces in the game.
everybody watches when he goes showtime.

coach has a plan and a system. he wants to win a championship. lots of 'Atlanta braves' investing and compiling type of stuff going on here.

delicious.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Gaffney is not nearly the stiff some BYers make him out to be. So he’s not a star or a starter and has some flaws in his game . He’s got a decent number of assists for a back up, is one of our most accurate 3 point shooters and a good foul shooter. He gets out of control sometimes but so do some of the others. Jackson should shoot so well.(no I’m not comparing his game to Jackson.). Diggins is being anointed by some already and maybe he winds up getting a lot of time and becoming a star. But I don’t cringe when Gaffney is playing.
In the half court sets, Jackson should constantly cut towards the rim and never stop moving because he is good at nothing else other than rebounding or dunking. Makes zero sense for him to ever stand at the three point line. I cringe when I see him standing there.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Things like dribbling into two defenders at the top of the key for a TO and later throwing a bullet from that same spot to nobody but the stanchion are things a junior guard shouldn't be doing against an inferior team. Does Gaffney have value? Yes. Should Diggins be eating into his minutes? Also yes.

Reaction Score
The Gaffney hate is so bewildering to me.. I guess this is what we do when things are good, we have to nitpick and find a problem when there isn't one there. He is what he is, I think he's a fine player. Solid off the bench and gives us what we need.

Was at the game yesterday, biggest takeaway was how impressed we were with Johnson. Active, LONG, and springy

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Things like dribbling into two defenders at the top of the key for a TO and later throwing a bullet from that same spot to nobody but the stanchion are things a junior guard shouldn't be doing against an inferior team. Does Gaffney have value? Yes. Should Diggins be eating into his minutes? Also yes.
Diggins might be the second coming, but we have about 5 minutes of playing time to reach ultimate conclusions. I’ve seen really good pros make terrible passes like every game. I’m not against Diggins, but for some reason some folks act like Gaffney is a total stiff which he isn’t.

Reaction Score
Diggins development is critical for next year so he needs some quality minutes. I don’t want to have him come in next year feeling inexperienced. That’s just my selfish take. I want to win big next year.

Gaffney is a good player with some mental issues to work through. He just lacks confidence. I still feel like he could turn a corner at some point and start playing really well on a regular basis.

Given our roster, both guys need to be in the rotation. I’m not going to bash anyone on this team. It is a group of really good, nice and hard working kids. This is a team to be proud of and support in every way. The staff has done an amazing job recruiting talented and decent guys that I can cheer for. I feel really positive about the program win or lose.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Sure, he played fine vs Grambling. The issue is when he plays top 25 teams with fast guards.
Betcha there are some all American guards who have trouble with talented really fast talented opponents. Seriously, Gaffney gets analyzed play by play like almost no other player. He just is not a total liability the way some posters make him out to be. I’m one who would like to see more Diggins, but Gaffney gets crapped on as if he’s horrible. He isn’t.

While coaches certainly can make personnel mistakes and have player biases (see Jim Calhoun and a pretty decent Marcus White who he rarely used), I’m
pretty sure none of them are suicidal when it comes to player rotations.

Reaction Score
Considering JG has a 3-1 A/To ratio this year in about 20 minutes per game, and 4-1 yesterday against that inferior team, not sure that is a fair comment.

Reaction Score
Gaffney just needs to be consistently good at the very least, he’s to up and down and his ups come mostly against inferior teams. I expected a good season from his this year ( which may still happen) because to me he was our best player in the Maryland loss last year.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Gaffney just needs to be consistently good at the very least, he’s to up and down and his ups come mostly against inferior teams. I expected a good season from his this year ( which may still happen) because to me he was our best player in the Maryland loss last year.
The thing is, he’s a sub. For example, Jackson was hyped way beyond Gaffney and Jackson can’t do the one thing a player with his hype should be best at. Score. Jackson is a plus in general, but betcha he gets stripped or drives to nowhere more than Gaffney does.

The real point is, I too would like to see more of Diggins and maybe he winds up taking a lot of minutes from Gaffney. But just taking Gaffney for what he is in the role he plays, I don’t see him being a big issue.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
IMO the most effective way to use Jalen is not as a backup PG. I’m comfortable with Diggins in that role. Jalen should be used as a jolt of offense and go full attack mode when he’s in. His decision making is a bit suspect when he tries to run the offense. However, he is pretty good attacking the rim and shooting off the catch. Take any mental aspect of the game away and tell him to go get buckets.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom