Jalen Gaffney has enjoyed a bicep-poppin’ summer | The Boneyard

Jalen Gaffney has enjoyed a bicep-poppin’ summer

Reaction Score
From That Guy.

“Lifting, eating right, sleeping right, I’ve just had a better routine and plan to get my body right,” Gaffney said. “I was getting bumped around a lot last year. I wasn’t playing at a weight that was formidable. I’m getting there.

“I think it will help my game a lot, just being stronger with the ball, getting defenders off me and just playing strong.”

For those without Register access: UConn's Jalen Gaffney has enjoyed a bicep-poppin’ summer

Reaction Score
Jalen Gaffney sent a Snapchat out in late July with two photos. In the one on the left from last year, the UConn guard’s biceps looked like they belonged to Arnold from “Hey Arnold!” In the recent one on the right, his biceps looked like they belonged to Arnold Schwarzenegger.

OK, it’s summertime, and the hyperbole is easy. But those bad boys were poppin’.

*cringe*

With injuries and the Jalen Adams saga, Gaffney started 11 of the last 12 games.

Huh?

Reaction Score
Jalen is a winner. The ankle injury last season really set him back. He will be more athletic and stronger this season. Having him and Cole is the kind of 2 point guard squad that has yielded great results in the past.

PLEASE let there be a season!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
“Jalen and R.J. give us two guys that can play on the ball or off the ball,” Hurley said. “Neither guy overdribbles. They are both efficient ballhandlers that keep that ball moving. I think you will see a lot of them out there together.”

This. UConn has excelled when it has had two guards with decent handles who can distribute. There has been a lot of Cole or Gaffney talk. I've though why not both? The answer of course is you can only play 5 at a time but against teams like Nova who are going pressure the ball, having Gaff and Cole out there together makes sense.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
“Jalen and R.J. give us two guys that can play on the ball or off the ball,” Hurley said. “Neither guy overdribbles. They are both efficient ballhandlers that keep that ball moving. I think you will see a lot of them out there together.”

This. UConn has excelled when it has had two guards with decent handles who can distribute. There has been a lot of Cole or Gaffney talk. I've though why not both? The answer of course is you can only play 5 at a time but against teams like Nova who are going pressure the ball, having Gaff and Cole out there together makes sense.

"Neither guy over dribbles." the antithesis of AG.

Reaction Score
He was so athletic in all his HS videos. Didn't see that last year at all. So excited that part of his game is returning.

We are an instant gratification society and I'm guilty of it like most. He was ok but we forget he was a freshman and tentative. Not all kids hit the ground running like Bouk. He's gonna be terrific and Cole is gonna push him to get the most out of his ability or get minutes cut.

Gotta love competition again. Crazy that Hilton started as a frosh but with all the talent really didn't again til his senior year, right? (or at least later in career). Marcus White played major mins as a frosh and then couldn't get off the bench. This kind of competition was so lacking! Why Jalen Adams was same guy early as late, he was far and away best player in program and had no one pushing him. He coulda been an all-time great under Calhoun no doubt in my mind!

Let's go Jalen!

Reaction Score
I think when DH talks about over-dribbling..It might mean AG's approach to PG.. Both RJ and JG needed to add some bulk/muscle to their bodies for BE play.. When you go to the Hole as a PG.... You have to absorb contact and finish the play.. They are both better prepared for that with the Strength Program at Storrs.. .. All good..

Reaction Score
Didn't Gaffney have a very severe ankle sprain right at the start of practice or am I misremembering?

A bad sprain can take longer to fully come back from than a break sometimes. I thought Hurley even made a few comments that the injury had taken some of his explosiveness away and some of his confidence.

Watched some video of him from last season the last few weeks. I love that his head is up and he's constantly looking for a big man moving underneath. If Whaley, Carlton, and the new guys are willing to move around, he'll find them. If I were I big, I'd love to play with a guard like Gaffney.

Reaction Score
From That Guy.

“Lifting, eating right, sleeping right, I’ve just had a better routine and plan to get my body right,” Gaffney said. “I was getting bumped around a lot last year. I wasn’t playing at a weight that was formidable. I’m getting there.

“I think it will help my game a lot, just being stronger with the ball, getting defenders off me and just playing strong.”

For those without Register access: UConn's Jalen Gaffney has enjoyed a bicep-poppin’ summer
Damn. That would be 25 lbs. of muscle over the summer if Jim was still HC.

Reaction Score
Didn't Gaffney have a very severe ankle sprain right at the start of practice or am I misremembering?

A bad sprain can take longer to fully come back from than a break sometimes. I thought Hurley even made a few comments that the injury had taken some of his explosiveness away and some of his confidence.

Watched some video of him from last season the last few weeks. I love that his head is up and he's constantly looking for a big man moving underneath. If Whaley, Carlton, and the new guys are willing to move around, he'll find them. If I were I big, I'd love to play with a guard like Gaffney.
Agree with you on the impact of his play last year and the ankle sprain.. First half of the year he did not have the quickness and explosion shown on tape in HS.. Second half of the year he was less tentative but still not super quick.. In 2020..I think you'll see his HS speed back along with Strength Program explosion.. In the recent videos coming out of Storrs looks like he's trying to "OutBouk James" on those dunks.. Expecting his play to demand minutes from DH.. Could see he and RJ doing the Shabazz/Boat thing when on the floor together..They'll be a tough matchup for BE teams..Esp. when DH is going small ball..Gaff's game in HS was his speed.. Think you'll see it again now that he's 100%

Last edited:

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I think when DH talks about over-dribbling..It might mean AG's approach to PG.. Both RJ and JG needed to add some bulk/muscle to their bodies for BE play.. When you go to the Hole as a PG.... You have to absorb contact and finish the play.. They are both better prepared for that with the Strength Program at Storrs.. .. All good..
DH is not trying to take some backhanded shot at a player (AG). Maybe it was subconsciously in his mind because it was something that happened a lot last year but he's obviously not interested in disparaging his own guys, as we know from the last few years. That's a Boeheim thing.

Reaction Score
I think Hurley just realizes the two most common mistakes young guards make when the jump to college are over-dribbling and holding the ball. In high school, many of these kids are asked to create offense much more often than trusting the flow of the system.
Sometimes, we can be spoiled by a guy like Kemba who just had/has a freakish combo of a quick first step, acceleration and strength with the ball. Even he struggled at times when he first got to college.

The thing I just want to see the most is players getting better each year while they are in the UConn program. I've said it before. This was one of JC's great strengths as a head coach, and one of Ollie's biggest failures in the same position. That said, I think Gaffney being stronger helps him forward and hoping like crazy there is a season because with unselfish players like Bouk, Gaff, Jackson... and the pool of big men, this could be one of the most exciting and enjoyable teams to watch in a long time. Also, Polley's return will help open the floor up even more.

Reaction Score
DH is not trying to take some backhanded shot at a player (AG). Maybe it was subconsciously in his mind because it was something that happened a lot last year but he's obviously not interested in disparaging his own guys, as we know from the last few years. That's a Boeheim thing.
Wouldn't have brought it up unless DH had re: over-dribbling.. Some PGs are ball dominant..Some are distributors/facilitators.. I agree with DH..Our 2020 guys are more the latter than the former..

Reaction Score
Another article on Gaffney. This one from Mike Anthony of the Courant.

“It was definitely a learning experience,” said Gaffney, who averaged 19.1 minutes, 3.9 points and 2.1 assists in 31 games, 11 starts. “I came in with high expectations and I really wasn’t meeting them, especially at the beginning of the season. It was kind of built-up nervousness and adjusting to the flow of the game and the strength and everything about college basketball. As the season went on, I started getting better, I started learning more, definitely playing better, especially with the role I was given. I think I can build on that. I think there’s a lot more to come for this season, whenever this season will start.”

For those without Courant access: UConn point guard Jalen Gaffney, bulked up and experienced, should help stabilize Huskies’ backcourt play

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom