Jalen 3 Point Shooting | The Boneyard

Jalen 3 Point Shooting

Reaction Score
Freshman. 27%. Sophomore. 35%. Junior 32%. Senior 32%
Jalen is a very valuable player for us, maybe our most, but that said, Every year we wait for the improvement in this area over the summer and it hasn’t come. He is extremely nifty and creative getting to the rim and scoring so he is always going to get his 18-20 but this shooting improvement did not happen. No personal knock here because he’s a great team player who is valuable and wants to win so desperately but this hole in his game can’t be papered over and will probably affect his hoop future. I realize that many only thought he was an NBA G league or foreign player but if he had this missing piece he could be in the NBA.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
His form on his three point shot looks a little odd. He barely gets off the floor and his follow-through looks weak.

He should be taking notes on Polley, love his form.
He should take notes from AG! His form is perfect!

Something that both CV and JA struggle with is getting enough bend in their lower body it’s as if their legs are stiff.

Reaction Score
He's much more efficient this year, scoring more points in fewer minutes. Him and Vital barely jump on their threes, and the form is definitely odd. That said, it's early in the season and he had a couple very bad nights from three. I actually think his average will be up to about 35 by year end.

He's 9/28 for the season at 32.1%. Had he made one more three, he'd be 35.7%. If he makes his next three, he'll be at 34.5%. Bottom line it's way too early to start talking about his three point percentage, the sample size is entirely too small to compare it to full seasons. One shot moves the needle too far. And while he's had an 0-2 and 0-4 game, he's also had a 4-6 game.

Let's review this at the end of January.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I am just a casual fan but Jalen looks winded almost all the time to me. He also does not have the muscle you would expect as a senior. When I look at the physical changes in guys like Polley (shoulders) in one year you know that the S & C coach is working these guys including Jalen. Perhaps he has some other physical issues that prevent him from fully developing the strength and endurance he needs. He is as creative as you can get in transition; wish he had the full strength and stamina to go with it. Last year it was the minutes. Not so this year with minutes. Only the staff and medical people might know the answer to this. Hope for his sake he can get to the bottom of it. Not easy fighting with one hand tied behind your back. Is it just me or does he look exhausted most of the time?

Reaction Score
Jalen still pushes the ball when he shoots 3s too, doesn't appear to have a true outside jumpshot

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
He shoots like Purvis. Flat and no elevation. He should shoot his threes like he does his pull up twos

Reaction Score
Freshman. 27%. Sophomore. 35%. Junior 32%. Senior 32%
Jalen is a very valuable player for us, maybe our most, but that said, Every year we wait for the improvement in this area over the summer and it hasn’t come. He is extremely nifty and creative getting to the rim and scoring so he is always going to get his 18-20 but this shooting improvement did not happen. No personal knock here because he’s a great team player who is valuable and wants to win so desperately but this hole in his game can’t be papered over and will probably affect his hoop future. I realize that many only thought he was an NBA G league or foreign player but if he had this missing piece he could be in the NBA.

It probably won't come in college. The fact that he has two separate forms when he pulls up off the dribble (solid, consistent mechanics, particularly from 14-16 feet) and when he catches and shoots from beyond the arc (set shot with a ton of backspin) is really odd.

That said: Kemba Walker's 3pt. shooting stats:

Freshman -- 27%
Sophomore -- 34%
Junior -- 33%

Reaction Score
He shoots like Purvis. Flat and no elevation. He should shoot his threes like he does his pull up twos
Exactly, Jalen shoots a jump shot from 2 and a set shot from 3. That said, I'm not closing the book on him yet. Purvis has been shooting lights out from 3 in the D League lately (44%). Jalen can improve, just not sure we'll see it in college.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
About 50% of his 3s are short. You can see it in his release, it’s low and kinda like a flick shot.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Go to espn.com and click the huge picture of Kemba that covers half of the front page.

You're stretching my personal limits there, but thank you. I got it.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
It probably won't come in college. The fact that he has two separate forms when he pulls up off the dribble (solid, consistent mechanics, particularly from 14-16 feet) and when he catches and shoots from beyond the arc (set shot with a ton of backspin) is really odd.

That said: Kemba Walker's 3pt. shooting stats:

Freshman -- 27%
Sophomore -- 34%
Junior -- 33%
Those numbers are surprising. Looking back It seemed like he was a much more efficient 3 point shooter than those numbers. Especially his last season.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Was 9/24 ( 38%) before going 0/4 last night. This is however including an oddly good 4/6 vs UMKC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom