Jacobs | The Boneyard

Jacobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ah, good ole Jacobs. The boneyard chill? Nah. Very few want Ollie out of town. All we want to know is why in gods name did he not foul with one to give, tied, with 12 seconds left and temple having no timeouts! Maybe if Jacobs asks him that, the boneyard can chill.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
dude's an idiot, JC knew this

he's a sports reporter that didn't have access to the only game in town, he's still bitter, he never achieved greener pastures

and he's great at ignoring substantive arguments

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Wasn't he the guy who trashed Calhoun?

Reaction Score
Since everybody here "knows" that Jacobs is a bum and is never right, is it the concensus that Ollie must be gone, before Saturday if possible? Or is this a case of the broken clock?

Reaction Score
I clicked on it then got that stupid pop up that wants me to actually pay for a Courant subscription. Hilarious.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Jacobs calls out Fishy for his post Tulsa thread.

BcGMTAg.gif

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
The article could have been written in three sentences.
1. The Boneyard has a bunch or reactionary lunatics, especially after a loss
2. KO is a good defensive coach, just like JC
2. This team has no leader, probably because of all the transfers

Reaction Score
I clicked on it then got that stupid pop up that wants me to actually pay for a Courant subscription. Hilarious.
Jeff Jacobs: Chill, UConn Fans. Kevin Ollie's Doing All Right

HARTFORD — It took two Melvin Frazier three-pointers in the final two minutes Tuesday night, but the Tulane basketball team managed to match the lowest offensive output against UConn since March 14 when Tulsa scored 42 in a five-point loss to the Huskies at the XL Center.

The last time a team scored fewer than 42 against UConn? USF fell 83-40 before 10,553 fans at the XL Center on Feb. 12, 2014.

In other words, let's talk about how lousy the Huskies' offense is.

With Omar Calhoun scoring 12 points in 20 minutes, Kentan Facey getting eight in 12 and Rodney Purvis seven in 23, the UConn bench not only outscored Tulane 27-10 in this 60-42 victory before 9,516 fans. UConn's bench produced 15 more points than in any of its six previous American Athletic Conference games. Games have been littered with six-point bench outputs this season.

In other words, let's talk about how lousy the Huskies' offense is.

No, no. That's wrong. What we really should be talking about is what a lousy job Kevin Ollie has done coaching the offense.

No, no. Even that's wrong. What we really should be talking about what a lousy coach Kevin Ollie is.

He's awful.

He won 20 games his first season when UConn had nothing to play for because of NCAA sanctions over lousy academic performance.

He's awful.

He won the national championship in 2014 by winning 32 games and beating Michigan State, Florida and Kentucky.

He's awful.

He helped get the program out of the APR mess and fitted into graduation gowns and national championship rings.

He's awful.

After patching together what should be a Top 25 season with graduate transfers, Ollie scored major recruiting coups in the last year that should put the Huskies on a good run the next three-four years. But you just wait until they all decommit, right?

He's awful.

I'll be honest. I've been a little afraid to open up my email the past two weeks. I've been afraid to look at my direct messages on Twitter. When I do, they read something like this: When are you going to have the courage to go after Ollie …

This guy can't coach games. This guy won the national championship with Jim Calhoun's players. This guy is 85-38 since he took over late in 2012 only because he had be-all, end-all floor generals in Shabazz Napier and Ryan Boatright. This guy not only coaches through games like he's an NBA coach on an 82-game schedule, he wants to be an NBA coach …

What? He has eschewed going to the NBA, you say? He signed a long-term contract to stay in Storrs, you say? Doesn't matter. He'll jump to the NBA first chance he gets.

I've told myself this many times over the years, "Stay off the Boneyard, Jacobs. And if you go on the UConn fans' website, make sure the wife hides all the sharp objects. Cause it's going to be a rough ride."

Do I listen to myself? Of course not. I'll hold out for a few weeks, but then I give in to the worst angels of my masochism. It's just so entertaining being exposed as a nitwit by the fanatics. I also am the first to admit sometimes there really is strong, legitimate provocative thought. Sometimes — sometimes — there is some rational discourse.

Having said that: Stay off the Boneyard, Kevin Ollie. They're killing you. Some of them have gone off the deep edge.

Look, UConn had a bad finish in the loss to Temple, a very bad one.

The offense in the second half in the loss at Tulsa was putrid. The ball movement wasn't good. Guys were settling for three-pointers right and left. Guys were missing three-pointers left and right. Daniel Hamilton and Rodney Purvis combined to hit 1-for-14 from outside the arc that night, and worse Ollie left them out there to keep missing. Afterward, he called that a mistake. It wasn't like Ollie held himself unaccountable. "I've got to coach better," he said.

Has Ollie had an A coaching season so far? Of course not. But what bothers me is how quickly so many seemed to have gone after offensive problems in a finite number of games and made these sweeping generalizations that diminish what he has accomplished and diminish what he can accomplish in the future.

It's unsettling.

Asked what still was missing from his offense after this 60-point output, Ollie answered, "Just make some shots."

Do you like the shots you're getting, "No," he said. "No. We need to move the basketball. I want to play on the third side. I don't want to play on the first or second side. When we move the basketball great things happen for us. That's the bottom line.

"Our offense is good. When it got down to seven [in the second half], we ran a nice little horns play. Daniel got to the free throw line and missed a one-and-one. We came down and ran the same thing, ran it side to side and Rodney got an open three. That's the kind of movement I want. That ball is getting stuck on one side. Or it gets to the second side, 'It's time to make my play.' I just want the guys to pass the ball and enjoy playing with one and another."

Oh, you knew this was coming.

"But the thing I'm loving is our defense, especially without the big guy … We're just playing some awesome defense right now. That's what we hang our hat on. We'll correct this offense, but I really want to focus in on the defense."

Amidah Brimah, the premier shot blocker in college basketball, has missed nine games. The Huskies are 7-2 without him. Awful. Fire the coach.

When Jim Calhoun talked about defense, everybody wanted to hoist him on their shoulders and shout how much blood and guts he had — which he did. Calhoun was one of the best motivators of the past 30 years in college basketball. Nobody was better than building momentum through a season either. His teams played defense like their hair was on fire. They gave it all. But ask yourself this: Do you think Calhoun belongs on the Mount Rushmore of college offensive coaches? If you do, you have drank too much of the national flag blue Kool-Aid or have amnesia.

"We made them [Tulane] turn the basketball over. We rotated. We dealt with [Dylan] Osetkowski, kept him to seven points and five rebounds, one offensive rebound. We took him out of the game and I think that was a real, real big key."

No, the real key is UConn is 4-2 and isn't 6-0 in the AAC. The real key is UConn is 13-5 and isn't 15-3 right now and ranked in the Top 15. No, no, the real key is Ollie is awful.

In November, did I think the scoring would be better? Absolutely. I thought this team was capable of an Elite Eight. There was one problem in Ollie calling for "alpha dogs" at the beginning of the season. Too many alpha dogs like trying to take the game over with their shots.

Purvis certainly is guilty of that. And at various points, so are others. Leadership can mean moving the ball with speed and precision until a man shakes loose for the best shot. It's on the coach. It's on the players, too. This is a team with two graduate transfers and three transfers in all. This is not a team grown from seedlings and, ultimately, these older players have got to figure this out, too. Maybe the answer really is to bring Purvis off the bench — yes, Ollie has made an adjustment — along with Calhoun for energy. Maybe it is good to get Jalen Adams the minutes he needs to mature. Certainly, it would be good if Hamilton regains his touch.

This is a crazy game, this AAC. There were some great UConn teams that had some stinkers in the Big East, but there were so many chances to rebound for quality victories that those stinkers are forgotten. You lose in the AAC a couple of times and you can find yourself in the NIT. You lose a conference game in an XL Center in front of only 9,516 fans and people start getting squirrely about the future.

That is a tightrope not of Kevin Ollie's doing, but one he must walk.

In the meantime, UConn fans, chill.

The man hasn't forgotten how to coach.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
What's the defensive stop efficiency in the final 5 minutes of games in the last two seasons?

My intuition tells me that it's way less than with JC's teams.

That's how excruciating & ugly games have been won in the past, and that has led to 4 National Championships. That's the mental toughness that compensates for and even alters shaky basketball IQ as the season progresses. Knowing that the other team simply cannot catch up is what has given me my greatest joy, and soothed my anxious feelings the most. I know I'm not the only one who recognizes when it's missing.

Made free throws and reduced turnovers help too.

Here's to hoping it comes. I don't think JJ can argue well that I'm missing it.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Let's not mistake playing crap offensive teams with awesome defense.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Actually, Jacob's remarks show a profound ignorance of the purpose of any board of this nature. In truth, it is a mild debating society in which people hold different perspectives and represent them. If everyone agreed and no one was provocative then we might as well have a town hall meeting in Amish county America. How boring would that be?
Sports fans argue sports. It's part of the fun.

Reaction Score
It is all about the defense. Last NC run something happened in the second half of the Louisville debacle.
We found our defense. Calhoun would occasionally say, " Tonight we found an old friend, Defense."
It is all about defense ladies and gentlemen. When we find it and are consistent with it, this season will
take a new turn

Reaction Score
Personally I find his calling out an internet forum hilarious. As if it's in any way representative of the fan base as a whole, to which he is writing. I mean what's next, quotes from Huskymagic and freescooter? Interviews with Palatine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom