Jacobs - What Should UConn Do? Sit Tight | The Boneyard

Jacobs - What Should UConn Do? Sit Tight

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Jacobs makes a good case for why playing BBall in the C7 is a dumb idea (emphasis added):

Remember the ACC supposedly looking to Georgetown to balance its basketball league? Didn't happen. It never was going to happen.

They all pay homage to the football gods. I would argue splitting programs would give major conferences pause to wonder about UConn's priorities.

You know how tough it is to make a go of it as a football independent? MAC or C-USA? Forget it. MWC? Sending a football team five times a season across the country is an unwieldy concept. Boise State is great, but does anybody think Nevada, Wyoming, Colorado State is the permanent solution for UConn football?

While we're at it, how great do you think those Catholic schools will be in 15 years in basketball?

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
It isn't often that Jacobs is right. But this article is well thought out and well written. Now it's up to the lunatic fringe that populates this board to take issue with what is clearly the most effective strategy to move forward. And believe me they will.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It isn't often that Jacobs is right. But this article is well thought out and well written. Now it's up to the lunatic fringe that populates this board to take issue with what is clearly the most effective strategy to move forward. And believe me they will.
Not so much. It recounts the disucussion on this board, makes an apple to oranges comparison of BB onlies current deal, which is, obviously, dated vs. the ACC, without noting that theat contract includes football. The whole join the BB onlies was always a throw away BS thing by Blauds anyway. In my view it is a typical Jacobs mash up of a blogger's material and Boneyard commentary, with a straw man target BS target that no is seriously considering. It is a space filler.

Reaction Score
This complements Pudge's post well.

What else is their to do really? I thought that forging a new national conference might have been a good thing for all involved. But that is dead idea now.

Go Indy is tantamount to throwing a temper tantrum. Splitting the department between two conferences is just a bad model.

Reaction Score
This complements Pudge's post well.

What else is their to do really? I thought that forging a new national conference might have been a good thing for all involved. But that is dead idea now.

Go Indy is tantamount to throwing a temper tantrum. Splitting the department between two conferences is just a bad model.

That damn Jacobs often steals my thoughts & crazy wild-ass guesses.

Reaction Score
LOL'd @ this one...

"UConn fans are understandably worried. They are antsy. They have one hundred scenarios and one million suggestions for what the school must do. They are nervous and bothered and vexed. They are the girl who keeps waiting for the call for a prom date. And those handsome ACC and Big Ten devils just won't pick up the phone and dial."

"They want to blame Mike Tranghese and John Marinatto. They want to blame Jeff Hathaway. They want to blame Warde Manuel. They want to blame Susan Herbst for being too aggressive and not aggressive enough. They want to blame Richard Blumenthal for suing schools. They want to blame Jim Calhoun for bad report cards. They want to blame the NCAA. They want to blame Donna Shalala, BC and everybody from sea to shining sea. And they want action. Now!"

Reaction Score
except for mentioning HFD, he seems to have this board well figured out. I just hope Uconn isn't sitting tight for two years. That will be painful.

It will be way longer than two years. And either we'll persevere and prosper in this framework or wither and blow away.

Hopefully this is the nadir, and we're going to get better. Of course, in football terms we are going to have to wait for the new coaching staff to get in place next Dec/Jan.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Do those two paragraphs have us pegged or what?! It's like he reads the Boneyard!
He does.

Reaction Score
It will be way longer than two years. And either we'll persevere and prosper in this framework or wither and blow away.

Hopefully this is the nadir, and we're going to get better. Of course, in football terms we are going to have to wait for the new coaching staff to get in place next Dec/Jan.

2 years?

We just watched Syracuse PINE for the ACC from 2003-2011. Gosh ... I am hoping there is some resilience in some of you guys. It might be a long slog.

Reaction Score
2 years?

We just watched Syracuse PINE for the ACC from 2003-2011. Gosh ... I am hoping there is some resilience in some of you guys. It might be a long slog.

2 years is a pipe dream. I think it will 5-7 or forever.

Reaction Score
I've been a season ticket holder longer than 'ive known my wife. OK so I've only known her 8 years, but one of the conditions of getting married was that she would never ask me stop my season tickets. I think I can tough out our league situation. And as much as I fear our program getting left in the dust by our football peers namely RU, SU, BC, AND PITT, I've gained comfort in resigning myself to the fact that it is Susan and Wardes job to worry about this, even if I feel they have less skin in the game than us fans.

Reaction Score
I don't think it will be 2 years. This conference nonsense will shake out once MD and the ACC settle.

Reaction Score
My hope is that everyone gets greedy and scared about the playoffs and the feeding frenzy ensues. The ACC will be what is for dinner, unless the ACC schools do something unprecedented and say no!

4 big conferences really makes sense in the new structure. If this playoff is as financially lucrative as is expected, the big 5 will become the Big 4. The ACC will endure, but it it will be in Big East type situation.

This is probably why Herbst has the aim point set on the B1G. Even if is a long shot, it doesn't hurt to try.

Getting into the ACC is better than what we have now, but it won't be the wonderful land of rainbows and unicorns that Syracuse always thought it would be.

Reaction Score
That damn Jacobs often steals my thoughts & crazy wild-ass guesses.
he steals Jason Whitlock's ideas too (see Whitlock's Jan 18th column on the 'lie of amateurism' and compare it to Jacob's article a week or so later).

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
LOL'd @ this one...

"UConn fans are understandably worried. They are antsy. They have one hundred scenarios and one million suggestions for what the school must do. They are nervous and bothered and vexed. They are the girl who keeps waiting for the call for a prom date. And those handsome ACC and Big Ten devils just won't pick up the phone and dial."

"They want to blame Mike Tranghese and John Marinatto. They want to blame Jeff Hathaway. They want to blame Warde Manuel. They want to blame Susan Herbst for being too aggressive and not aggressive enough. They want to blame Richard Blumenthal for suing schools. They want to blame Jim Calhoun for bad report cards. They want to blame the NCAA. They want to blame Donna Shalala, BC and everybody from sea to shining sea. And they want action. Now!"
And since Jeff Jacobs reads this board, I want him to know that I blame him. His negative harangue of JC was not helpful in any way to UConn. He's a short sighted idiot who couldn't keep things from becoming personal between himself and JC. Anyone keeping tabs with how the Cuse press reported problems with their sports programs would understand my sentiment. I don't validate his articles by clicking the little button that sends me to his site. He's irrelevant to me. And people are probably correct that he canvased this forum for ideas.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
2 years?

I don't think UConn will be the next school to leave. Cincinnati will join the Big 12 before UConn joins another conference.

Reaction Score
Of course Jacobs gets ideas here. This place is gold for ideas. How could you blame him?

Reaction Score
Love him or hate him, Jacobs is right on the money this time. Any chance we have of an athletic future comes from having football and any chance of having successful football comes from being in the same league with every other sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom