Jacobs: UConn should use effort against USF as a turning point | The Boneyard

Jacobs: UConn should use effort against USF as a turning point

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The more idiots who proclaim competiting with South Florida means something the worse the rest of the season gets.

It wasn’t a turning point, it wasn’t an inflection point, it wasn’t a sign of huge wins to come.

It was a game against an overrated team who slept through the game.

They got gashed for 611 yards. Stop.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
The more idiots who proclaim competiting with South Florida means something the worse the rest of the season gets.

It wasn’t a turning point, it wasn’t an inflection point, it wasn’t a sign of huge wins to come.

Actually, being able to keep it to a winnable margin against a crappy team is an inflection point. There's now a frame of reference for what can possibly happen when they play other crappy teams.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Actually, being able to keep it to a winnable margin against a crappy team is an inflection point. There's now a frame of reference for what can possibly happen when they play other crappy teams.

Not getting killed one time isn’t an inflection point. They got gashed for 611 yards. South Florida is just inept.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Love stain but I when I was at the Dairy Bar last Sunday I think he tried to have my car towed.

You must have been parked in a private driveway. Cardinal sin.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Not getting killed one time isn’t an inflection point. They got gashed for 611 yards. South Florida is just inept.

When we've gotten killed every single time previously? I beg to differ.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
When we've gotten killed every single time previously? I beg to differ.

They didn’t get killed by Rhode Island.... why wasn’t that an inflection point?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
FCS games mean zilch when near-term prospects are concerned.

Ok... Illinois had South Florida beat and gagged the game away.

Was that an inflection point for them?

Stainmaster

Reaction Score

No. Illinois was trash ever since going down 17-3 to Kent State at the half in their opener. Nothing changed there.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No. Illinois was trash ever since going down 17-3 to Kent State at the half in their opener. Nothing changed there.

So sometimes really bad teams hang with South Florida and you shouldn’t ascribe too much to that result? Thanks.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
So sometimes really bad teams hang with South Florida and you shouldn’t ascribe too much to that result? Thanks.

The Illini's performance against USF was in keeping with their past results. Ours wasn't.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Illini's performance against USF was in keeping with their past results. Ours wasn't.

Illinois sucked prior to almost beating USF and then went back to getting destroyed by good teams after.

We can see what happens the next few weeks but Edsall and the Boneyard pimping a loss against USF where they gave up 611 yards is the reddest of red flags.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Illinois sucked prior to almost beating USF and then went back to getting destroyed by good teams after.

We can see what happens the next few weeks but Edsall and the Boneyard pimping a loss against USF where they gave up 611 yards is the reddest of red flags.

Ah yes, and we'll undoubtedly continue getting destroyed by all of the "good teams" remaining on our schedule. Teams such as...

Bottom line, our competition the rest of the season is by and large hot piss, and this past weekend should convince a reasonable person that the team won't look as bad as they did against teams that are better than USF.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Ah yes, and we'll undoubtedly continue getting destroyed by all of the "good teams" remaining on our schedule. Teams such as...

Bottom line, our competition the rest of the season is by and large hot piss, and this past weekend should convince a reasonable person that the team won't look as bad as they did against teams that are better than USF.

You are just placing way too much weight on one game against an overrated team.

We can revisit at the end. Hopefully they beat UMass.

Reaction Score
Hey, overrated or not, the game was at least reasonably competitive, which is an improvement... and ...no...giving up 600 yards again is never ok. We are seeing a few kids find their sea legs and making a few plays. On the whole, the level of fundamentals remains poor which I put on our illustrious, historically bad DC and staff. How Edsall allows Crocker to remain doing the very worst job in the anals of CFB defies imagination.

Reaction Score
We were 33 point dogs and lost by 8. That's a lot better than being a 30 point dog that loses by 50.

So I agree with both you guys - this was undoubtedly a high point, but I agree with whaler in principle that we should tread with caution regarding anything having to do with South Florida. Even though statistically they're far from the worst team we'll play, I had a weird feeling all week that this game would be competitive.

But you could still sign me up for 1-4 from here on out and I think everyone should take that. The other teams in our league are bad and we're historically bad. Last week was a good first step in making that progression but I'll need to see more before I start expecting a true turning point. That most likely won't come until next year.

Reaction Score

UConn sucks. They’re a tire fire/dumpster fire. We get thats your position. And you have plenty of reasons to believe so. However, there are some here that believe the USF game showed a little more than what the team gave us all season. You can give up tons of yardage in a game but there are teams/defenses that have a bend but don’t break model which can limit a team’s red zone success. I think what everyone enjoyed was giving up all those yards and not having 100 pts hung on our heads. We forced turnovers and limited them to a few field goal attempts that showed, in some instances, a resiliency that wasn’t evident in any game all season. You can say USF is as bad as you want but the reality is they are undefeated and found ways to win games. You can make a case that Cincy and Memphis are overrated and they obliterated us.
Again, you’re entitled. What hasn’t changed is a bunch of young/inexperienced kids went out there to play a game. On paper we were overmatched to the tune of a 31 pt underdog. Good thing that our players don’t see themselves as you see them else we would have gotten blown out. Regardless of the opponent, they went out there and competed. That’s progress for a young team.
The fact that you choose to see the ineptitude of the opponent rather than the progress of the team you allegedly root for is pretty telling. Remember, most of these kids that are taking the field for us have nothing to do with the futility of past years.
Root for the kids guy

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UConn sucks. They’re a tire fire/dumpster fire. We get thats your position. And you have plenty of reasons to believe so. However, there are some here that believe the USF game showed a little more than what the team gave us all season. You can give up tons of yardage in a game but there are teams/defenses that have a bend but don’t break model which can limit a team’s red zone success. I think what everyone enjoyed was giving up all those yards and not having 100 pts hung on our heads. We forced turnovers and limited them to a few field goal attempts that showed, in some instances, a resiliency that wasn’t evident in any game all season. You can say USF is as bad as you want but the reality is they are undefeated and found ways to win games. You can make a case that Cincy and Memphis are overrated and they obliterated us.
Again, you’re entitled. What hasn’t changed is a bunch of young/inexperienced kids went out there to play a game. On paper we were overmatched to the tune of a 31 pt underdog. Good thing that our players don’t see themselves as you see them else we would have gotten blown out. Regardless of the opponent, they went out there and competed. That’s progress for a young team.
The fact that you choose to see the ineptitude of the opponent rather than the progress of the team you allegedly root for is pretty telling. Remember, most of these kids that are taking the field for us have nothing to do with the futility of past years.
Root for the kids guy

Yeah I don’t root for them.

They played better this week than the prior weeks, who said they didn’t. I’m disputing the idea that it’s a big turning point that means things are going to be better immediately for the rest of the season.

If you think that was a repeatable ‘bend don’t break’ performance.... it was not.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score

Whaler, I usually like what you post - but you're wrong on this one. Did you see the Matrix? What made Neo go from being a goth loser who chose the wrong pill to a cyberspace superhero? To quote Morpheus, "He's beginning to believe." Our guys are beginning to believe that they can win. That is the X factor in sports. You can't quantify it, but you can count on it to affect a team. UMass is the perfect team to test their fledging self-confidence. They get a win, maybe a solid win, during that game and things start happening. "Cry havoc! And let slip the dogs of war."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom