Jacobs to the rescue | The Boneyard

Jacobs to the rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
While I'm sure 99% of the folks he says he will call/email will ignore him, I don't mind someone in the media drilling down on this story and attempting to find out what the reality of our situation is.

Reaction Score
Well, let's see if he does it.

I think his timing is wrong, though. He probably should wait to see what happens after the January 15 vote. He's waited this long, after all. I don't think that it is wise to involve politicians at this time.

I found that Ken Dixon, who writes for the Connecticut Post, tried to get some information from UConn about conference realignment back in 2011 under the Connecticut Freedom of Information laws, but his request was denied by UConn and the denial was upheld by the Freedom of Information Commission.
http://www.ct.gov/foi/lib/foi/ho_0711/2011_577_dixon.pdf
http://www.ct.gov/foi/cwp/view.asp?a=4162&Q=508030

Reaction Score
My only question, why now? This should have started when we were passed up in favor of Louisville.

I guess now with the rumblings of the Big 13 expanding it might be a good time.

Reaction Score
My only question, why now? This should have started when we were passed up in favor of Louisville.

I guess now with the rumblings of the Big 13 expanding it might be a good time.
Noey...he should have started this when guys like Thamel used their national pulpit to slam UCONN any chance they got. IMHO...too little too late...it will be what it is going to be.

Reaction Score
I think the timing is perfect. In two weeks it may be clear that the Big 12 needed to expand. He is doing his part to make sure the UConn is on the public opinion short list.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Love the fire but there is a reason these other league's TV deals are larger.. there is simply a larger demand for their product. Its one thing to find out how UConn can better its profile and to try to uncover the reasonings for other schools being selected over us in the past and its another to complain about the $$ being thrown to these conferences for their TV rights.

I hope like hell that UConn gets into a P5 league but Jacobs better be careful he doesn't ruffle the wrong feathers here. No need to nag the hell out of influential XII conference administrators just because you're looking for a story.

Reaction Score
At this point, I'd be in favor of letting this playout with the Big 12 for now. I think they're going to pluck a couple of G5 schools. Lets hope were one. There isn't a more attractive overall option.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
The old news will just hurt too much- but it would be validating to see what we have all lived and suspected. Moving forward, I don't know how successful Jacobs will be. Getting someone on record to talk about the future hopes will be difficult.

Reaction Score
This is Jeff Jacobs were talking about....when's the last time this guy publicly rooted for UConn? This guy loves being right? Conspiracy Kitty thinks we're already in and Jeff Jacobs wants claim he had something to do with it.

Either that or the JI article got a ton of views. Whatever works.

Reaction Score
I've seen 2 jacobs articles in a matter of weeks that are very good. Seeing one, anytime, is like seeing a bald eagle in the wild. I've remarked the same elsewhere. Now 2?!! Strange things afoot at the circle K.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'll go on record as saying this will end up with no effect on UConn's realignment prospects and Jacobs ends up with a shorter Rolodex due to people he pisses off.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
So out of the blue Jeff decides that he's going to take a stand on this issue? Well I guess he could have spontaneously decided that he's going to help ol' state U after sitting on the sidelines for so long. Or maybe he's decided that there is something a bit different about the buzz this go round, so he wants to hop on the Husky bandwagon?

Yet another piece in the puzzle, boys.

Reaction Score
I'm really tired of the "negative nellies" on this board. I, for one, felt it was about time Jacobs, someone, anyone wrote this message and took on the charge. How did any of you ever become successful in your profession by folding your hands and retreating when things got tough. Whatever Jacobs motives are who gives a * as long as he's helping us get into a power 5 conference. I think more "fans" from this board should be emailing university presidents, sending letters, pushing our Congressmen, Governor and Senators ( yes even Blumenthal. Give him a chance to redeem himself by calling in favors) taking out billboard, newspapers, advertisements in Ohio and Michigan pronouncing that UConn is and deserves to be recognized as a B1G school. We should flood the tv and radio with advertisements proclaiming our P5 worthiness. Change the public perception cuz that's all it is, perception, not reality. The longer CT allows this perception to persist the more entrenched it becomes. It's really time to believe in yourself, your university and your state!!! Take charge of our predicament and change it!!! If your not ready to take an active role in changing the message, get out of the way of the train because it's rolling and will run you over!!

I've lived in CT most of my life and I've consistently seen this negative message over and over again about all kinds of initiatives in this state. And when they've proven to be successful everybody starts jumping in. We are our own worst enemy. If we can not demonstrate that we believe in ourself why the h**l would anyone else believe in us. Come on stop it!!! It's time...

I don't know about you... But I see the boat is sinking and I'm just not going down without kicking, screaming and fighting all the way to the bottom...

Reaction Score
I have not been a Jacobs fan over the years. To me he was just to the right of Ken K of not one dime back fame. It seems to me that big time college athletics was something he frowned upon. Maybe he finally sees where we are heading and how bad the future is

To me this was the best column of his career and may actually help. I do believe Malloy needs to talk to ESPN and maybe even take a stab at luring Fox sports to Stamford. Ugh, more taxpayer money. The only part that makes me nervous is bringing the press conference senator and our junior senator into the equation. Those guys live to pontificate without actually having a solution. It might feel good to hammer the NCAA, Delaney, Swoffie et al before a committee, but I don't know what good would come of it.

Reaction Score
Hell, if he wants to improve his own lot he better help with this. Would he rather report on a G5 or P5 school?

Reaction Score
I'm really tired of the "negative nellies" on this board. I, for one, felt it was about time Jacobs, someone, anyone wrote this message and took on the charge. How did any of you ever become successful in your profession by folding your hands and retreating when things got tough. Whatever Jacobs motives are who gives a * as long as he's helping us get into a power 5 conference. I think more "fans" from this board should be emailing university presidents, sending letters, pushing our Congressmen, Governor and Senators ( yes even Blumenthal. Give him a chance to redeem himself by calling in favors) taking out billboard, newspapers, advertisements in Ohio and Michigan pronouncing that UConn is and deserves to be recognized as a B1G school. We should flood the tv and radio with advertisements proclaiming our P5 worthiness. Change the public perception cuz that's all it is, perception, not reality. The longer CT allows this perception to persist the more entrenched it becomes. It's really time to believe in yourself, your university and your state!!! Take charge of our predicament and change it!!! If your not ready to take an active role in changing the message, get out of the way of the train because it's rolling and will run you over!!

I've lived in CT most of my life and I've consistently seen this negative message over and over again about all kinds of initiatives in this state. And when they've proven to be successful everybody starts jumping in. We are our own worst enemy. If we can not demonstrate that we believe in ourself why the h**l would anyone else believe in us. Come on stop it!!! It's time...

I don't know about you... But I see the boat is sinking and I'm just not going down without kicking, screaming and fighting all the way to the bottom...
Well if getting banned on twitter by guys who continually on UCONN like Pete Thamel count..I am doing my part.

Reaction Score
I have not been a Jacobs fan over the years. To me he was just to the right of Ken K of not one dime back fame. It seems to me that big time college athletics was something he frowned upon. Maybe he finally sees where we are heading and how bad the future is

To me this was the best column of his career and may actually help. I do believe Malloy needs to talk to ESPN and maybe even take a stab at luring Fox sports to Stamford. Ugh, more taxpayer money. The only part that makes me nervous is bringing the press conference senator and our junior senator into the equation. Those guys live to pontificate without actually having a solution. It might feel good to hammer the NCAA, Delaney, Swoffie et al before a committee, but I don't know what good would come of it.
If GE leaves Fairfield...there is a complex that can be sold to Fox Sports as a place to move. Come to CT and compete with your competition who are coated in Bristol and Stamford (NBC Sports is located at Chelsea Piers) on their home turf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom