Jacobs Article on Lashlee Hire | The Boneyard

Jacobs Article on Lashlee Hire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn Raises Profile With Big-Time Football Hire

>>>>>>>
This was a fascinating night to ask Benedict about this, because only minutes earlier it was announced that UConn had hired Rhett Lashlee, 33, the offensive coordinator at Auburn the past four seasons, as its new offensive coordinator under Randy Edsall.

"This is a big-time hire for us," Benedict said.

This is a coup for UConn football.

It demonstrates the pull Benedict, who served as the chief operating officer at Auburn from 2014 to last February, has with people at his former places of employment. It makes you optimistic about UConn football. The offense Lashlee brings is built off a power running game, but it is spread with a lot of tempo. In 2013 when Auburn went to the national championship, you may recall that's the year all the national debate arose over tempo.

After a bad three-game start to the 2016 season, Lashlee reportedly took over the play-calling from coach Gus Malzahn and the turnaround landed Auburn in the Sugar Bowl. There was much speculation Lashlee would get a head coaching job. His name even popped up briefly after Bob Diaco was fired.

"Timing is everything," Benedict said. "There was an opportunity to visit with Rhett about our head coaching job. He went off and coached at the Sugar Bowl and we went on to hire Randy. We followed up about the OC job.

"I know people are going to give me a lot of credit for this, but all I really did was hook Rhett and Randy up and they took care of the rest. I'm excited they found a connection and believe in each other."

Lashlee and Malzahn have a long, long standing relationship. Benedict pointed out Lashlee was Malzahn's high school quarterback. In UConn's release, Malzahn said, "This is a great opportunity for Rhett to implement and run his own offense." In other words, this is Lashlee's chance to get the keys to his own car.

Lashlee made $600,000 last year. His new three-contract at UConn calls for a base salary of $350,000. That begs for an explanation.

"Rhett's a young guy, he has got a long career ahead of him," Benedict said. "While it's a pay cut, he has a healthy salary with incentives. The performance bonuses are tied to Randy's for offense. Those two are equally aligned on that point."

Lashlee also can be a head coach some day.
>>>>>>>>>>>>

Reaction Score
Good job by Jeff with this one. In the right place at the right time to get the interview. As he quotes AD Dave, "Timing is everything."

Reaction Score
So it seems that Benedict had Lashlee higher on his HC list than Edsall....not knocking Edsall at all....is just an interesting piece that I'm sure we'll stow away and see in the next couple years (i.e., head in waiting)

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
the one thing that pisses me off about this article is he brings up the G5 playoff and conference realignment and all that again. I get that its an important issue but my God can't we just have a positive article about who we hired and encourage fans to show up to the Rent rather than briefly touch on hiring Rhett Lashlee and then ramble on about playing football in the Mountain West and putting basketball in the Big East?

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Everyone thought that Diaco being dismissive of Kill as OC was what pushed ADD over the edge to fire him. But maybe it was actually Lashlee that ADD was trying to bring in as OC that Diaco balked on.

Would make sense, as Diaco would not want a young-hot shot OC who would be an easy replacement for him if he struggled--especially with the strong ties to ADD from Auburn. It would basically be like hiring your replacement and ensuring your demise. Maybe this is actually the root of the Diaco blow up with ADD that eventually got him canned.

Either way, it worked out well for us in the end.

Reaction Score
the one thing that pisses me off about this article is he brings up the G5 playoff and conference realignment and all that again. I get that its an important issue but my God can't we just have a positive article about who we hired and encourage fans to show up to the Rent rather than briefly touch on hiring Rhett Lashlee and then ramble on about playing football in the Mountain West and putting basketball in the Big East?

Turned a positive piece into gobbledygook at the end - lol

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Everyone thought that Diaco being dismissive of Kill as OC was what pushed ADD over the edge to fire him. But maybe it was actually Lashlee that ADD was trying to bring in as OC that Diaco balked on.

Would make sense, as Diaco would not want a young-hot shot OC who would be an easy replacement for him if he struggled--especially with the strong ties to ADD from Auburn. It would basically be like hiring your replacement and ensuring your demise. Maybe this is actually the root of the Diaco blow up with ADD that eventually got him canned.

I would love to get Diaco's candid reaction to this entire situation. His shocking dismissal, the return of the adult coach in Edsall and now Lashlee. Lashlee represents so many things - but principally for Diaco its a 'stick it in your face' moment on how an adult HC assembles a coaching staff. You take the best people, even when they maybe better than you, because they will make you and the team better in the process. A rising tide lifts all boats.

And you know this coaching crew is going to coach, not run a feel good camp. They are also going to deploy real strategy and in game adjustments. No more simplicity of Eating Right + X = profit.

Reaction Score
I would love to get Diaco's candid reaction to this entire situation. His shocking dismissal, the return of the adult coach in Edsall and now Lashlee. Lashlee represents so many things - but principally for Diaco its a 'stick it in your face' moment on how an adult HC assembles a coaching staff. You take the best people, even when they maybe better than you, because they will make you and the team better in the process. A rising tide lifts all boats.

And you know this coaching crew is going to coach, not run a feel good camp. They are also going to deploy real strategy and in game adjustments. No more simplicity of Eating Right + X = profit.

Diaco is not out of money and he has no interest in going out of football. He is not going to say anything negative about anyone, because that only makes it harder to get the next job.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Diaco is not out of money and he has no interest in going out of football. He is not going to say anything negative about anyone, because that only makes it harder to get the next job.
Confused here - did I suggest he is out of $?

That said, I know he wont say anything, but I just would love to get a "candid" response which is what I started out by saying.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score

Ding ding ding

Reaction Score
Confused here - did I suggest he is out of $?

That said, I know he wont say anything, but I just would love to get a "candid" response which is what I started out by saying.

No, of course you didn't say that. My point is that he's generated enough wealth from his coaching that he is smart enough to want to rinse and repeat, and not say anything that will get in the way of the next gravy train. He's not desperate, where he will want to lash out publically.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
No, of course you didn't say that. My point is that he's generated enough wealth from his coaching that he is smart enough to want to rinse and repeat, and not say anything that will get in the way of the next gravy train. He's not desperate, where he will want to lash out publically.

We are good.

And yes, of course he wont say boo - but man I would love to hear something. Mr Clean never thought this would happen to him.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
OK, I give a mea culpa after reading Athletic Director Dave's comments. Lashlee was suggested and Randy approved.

One thing about Randy is that he's never balked at bringing in talented coachs. I mean Joe Moorhead is a perfect example of that. It also leads me to believe that the delayed draw is Lashlee's favorite play. :D

Reaction Score
Benedict talked to Lashlee about the HC job. I'm surprised Lashlee didn't dig in his heals and still decided to take the OC job after talking to DB about the head job. He was smart to do it this way. Let Edsall guide him on how to win at a challenging job and just run the O for now. If Edsall goes up in flames, he'll still be marketable and if Edsall succeeds, he'll have all kinds of offers.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It's called a referral and is how most upper level jobs are filled.

Hey, Randy you should talk to this guy Rhett. I think the two of you will get along. He's a guy I think highly of. If you like him let me know and I'll make the deal.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
It's called a referral and is how most upper level jobs are filled.

Hey, Randy you should talk to this guy Rhett. I think the two of you will get along. He's a guy I think highly of. If you like him let me know and I'll make the deal.

Well, right. But I was thinking after the news of the Kill Diabacle that AD Dave's mindset coming into the offseason was that he wanted a certain offensive gameplan and was going to hire whoever he wanted as OC, head coach's opinion be damned.

Reaction Score
Well, right. But I was thinking after the news of the Kill Diabacle that AD Dave's mindset coming into the offseason was that he wanted a certain offensive gameplan and was going to hire whoever he wanted as OC, head coach's opinion be damned.
That would be the deathknell for an AD. No head coach worth having would allow the AD to dictate an offense or an OC

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
That would be the deathknell for an AD. No head coach worth having would allow the AD to dictate an offense or an OC

So does that make Diaco a HC worth having?

I kid.

Reaction Score
Surprised he didn't work a Whalers angle. He typically does.

Reaction Score
Lashlee represents so many things - but principally for Diaco its a 'stick it in your face' moment on how an adult HC assembles a coaching staff. You take the best people, even when they maybe better than you, because they will make you and the team better in the process.
This is so true. Diaco is narcissistic. It was above him to higher anyone with credentials, who could possibly steal his spotlight (or his job). Instead, he surrounded himself with coaches that had lesser to limited resumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom