It's Time To Scrutinize The Big 12 (J. Jacobs) | The Boneyard

It's Time To Scrutinize The Big 12 (J. Jacobs)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Because going behind the back of the girl who doesn't want you, poking for skeletons in her closet and generally acting creepy always leads to having a better reputation and more positive relationships going forward. SMH.

Reaction Score
Because going behind the back of the girl who doesn't want you, poking for skeletons in her closet and generally acting creepy always leads to having a better reputation and more positive relationships going forward. SMH.
That's a great Roosevelt quote... have you read it?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That's a great Roosevelt quote... have you read it?

Yes???

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
-Theodore Roosevelt

PS- Except on the Boneyard

Reaction Score
Yes???

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
-Theodore Roosevelt

PS- Except on the Boneyard
wasn't a trick question... not sure how to reconcile your quote with what you think Uconn should do going forward.
do you disagree that Uconn will need to challenge ESPN and the P5 structure? possibly take a lead in that movement?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
wasn't a trick question... not sure how to reconcile your quote with what you think Uconn should do going forward.
do you disagree that Uconn will need to challenge ESPN and the P5 structure? possibly take a lead in that movement?

I'd say once the battle (trying to get in to the B12) is over, you shake hands and move on. Trying to publicly harass the suitor that left you (or never accepted your advances) is a loser mentality.

Move on to the next fight for inclusion in to the P5. I actually think UConn came out better than any other AAC school being that UConn did their lobbying behind the scenes and had a top notch presentation. Plus, it appears the hired consultants had UConn ranked favorably too.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Jacobs to Big 12 and ESPN:
watching-you.jpg

Big 12 and ESPN to Jacobs:
pointing-and-laughing.jpg

Reaction Score
Big 12 stands pat, but will see new money

ESPN paid the B12 NOT to take UConn.

Tweets are saying ESPN paid $10m a year, or $1m per B12 school. The pro-rata clause I believe was for $20m for each school split between Fox and ESPN. So ESPN saved $10m by doing this, per year.

However, Fox gave no money. It is still on the hook for the pro-rata clause if they ever expanded.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
because Jeff has not thought much about nor written much about CR and how UConn does or does not fit in, he is still in the reactionary/emotional phase.... The only way to get into the P4 club is to keep on showing people on and off the field that UConn makes 100% sense to be included. Gotta start winning 60% of football games over a three year period, fill the stadium, and keep on doing/improving everything else that the university is currently doing.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
UConn needs to do whatever it can to make up the revenue difference. It that means diverting ESPN's tax credits to support the University then it should be considered.

If that means distributing it's media rights on its own, then consider it.

If there is a winnable tort case against any number of entities, that would result in a desirable outcome in ethier cash, standing or access, then consider that.

Reaction Score
because Jeff has not thought much about nor written much about CR and how UConn does or does not fit in, he is still in the reactionary/emotional phase.... The only way to get into the P4 club is to keep on showing people on and off the field that UConn makes 100% sense to be included. Gotta start winning 60% of football games over a three year period, fill the stadium, and keep on doing/improving everything else that the university is currently doing.

It's not going to happen. We're living in an era when fans aren't going to these stadiums of mediocre teams. Look around, attendance is terrible even in the P5.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
So for $10M more a year, ESPN could have just pushed for UConn as team 11?

Instead they are paying $10M for the same exact thing as before?

Can't blame ESPN for acting in their own self interest's but just as the Big12 didn't expand due to damaging long term relationships with current and future partners, the state of CT should take notice here as well.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn needs to do whatever it can to make up the revenue difference. It that means diverting ESPN's tax credits to support the University then it should be considered.

How exactly would this work? The state would take the tax money that ESPN didn't pay us, and use it to fund football? Oh wait we don't have it....

Nor could we cancel the ESPN tax credit. I feel certain that there was no congency in there for screwing over state-U.

The tax credit is a done deal, it can't be changed, but that doesn't mean that we forget that ESPN has, time and time again looked after it's interest to detriment of UConn. So after the state gave ESPN $200 million of tax relief ESPN came back to, in effect, take $100s of millions more from state taxpayers by funding the destruction of the Big East (in three stages) and then paying Big 12 not expand. In anyone of those four instances ESPN could have stated a preference for UConn as a prerequisite to opening their checkbook. They did not. Likewise, they could have made UConn a precondition to the ACC network, they did not.

That's five times they screwed us over. That needs to be remembered the next time they ask for anything.

The answer is no.

Reaction Score
Our beef lies with ESPN and the market forces that convinced the Big 12 to stand pat. Going after the Big 12 would be self sabotage.

Reaction Score
He's not wrong about going after ESPN/Disney. Time for the state to quit playing footsie with Iger, Skipper, etc.

Reaction Score
I have a great idea! Lets get the AG to file some lawsuits against some BIG 12 presidents, their commissioner and ESPN. I'm sure that will work in UConn's favor in the future.

Reaction Score
I have a great idea! Lets get the AG to file some lawsuits against some BIG 12 presidents, their commissioner and ESPN. I'm sure that will work in UConn's favor in the future.

Next time?

Reaction Score
I must be missing something here...but I don't quite understand why some posters find negativity in whatever Jeff Jacobs writes. You may not agree with his approach but he remains one of the few voices looking out for Uconn's interests ( whether or not he's late in doing so). That's more than can be said for our CT corporations ( including the losers at ESPN) our politicians and many of our fans who"d rather just sit on their hands and bitch. No one is doubting that the game, for now, is over, but Jacobs sounds as pissed and frustrated as the many of us. The difference is he has a "pulpit " he can use to let it be known and he hasn't hesititated in expressing his feelings. Personally, I see no problem in banging on every door, now and in the future, and until somebody comes up with something better to advance our cause, I applaud those who do!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom