It's Time To Look Ahead | The Boneyard

It's Time To Look Ahead

Reaction Score
Worried about the roster. Maybe I'm the only one seeing problems even with players back next year. Durham and Enoch are going to be our bangers down low? We need strong men like Cincy had. I think we need 2 rebounding transfers not one. Gilbert is a talented little guard, too small to get to the rim all the time. Larrier will help but can he hold up? This is no lock NCAA team or even top 25 as we stand now. I hope KO gets some urgency here.

Reaction Score
Worried about the roster. Maybe I'm the only one seeing problems even with players back next year. Durham and Enoch are going to be our bangers down low? We need strong men like Cincy had. I think we need 2 rebounding transfers not one. Gilbert is a talented little guard, too small to get to the rim all the time. Larrier will help but can he hold up? This is no lock NCAA team or even top 25 as we stand now. I hope KO gets some urgency here.
Alterique is the real deal. There should be no excuses with the backcourt next year we will have a junior year Jalen and 2 other dynamic ballhandlers. We are set at small forward with Vance and Larrier. The frontcourt scares the out of me. We desperately need a legit post rebounder scorer and we could also use another three point shooter.

Reaction Score
Alterique is the real deal. There should be no excuses with the backcourt next year we will have a junior year Jalen and 2 other dynamic ballhandlers. We are set at small forward with Vance and Larrier. The frontcourt scares the out of me. We desperately need a legit post rebounder scorer and we could also use another three point shooter.
The front court should scare you since well, we don't really have one. Next years team is seriously flawed. I am shocked by the optimism but hopefully I am wrong.

Reaction Score
I was told by someone close to the program that watched some preseason practices that Alterique was the best player on the floor.

BUT I agree we need bangers, that is such a glaring need, don't understand why KO banked the ships at the beginning of the year and esp now! Love KO but let's get some bangers. Gotta have a 5th year guy!

Reaction Score
If we don't beat our cupcakes next year. This will be a long slog back to respectability.

We were out-talented more in 2016/17 than in many, many years. And when we had the talent advantage, we rarely played well. I know many don't want to hear it but Ollie must learn to work the refs. He must learn how and when to get a technical foul to HELP his team. His general feel for the game must also improve. He needs to use his time outs more strategically especially to stop runs before they reach 12 points. And do not sit the player with the hot hand.

Part of the reason we get killed on the offensive glass is that Ollie is more concerned with transition defense that offense boards. On more than one occasion, our players actually ran away from offensive rebounds because they were running back to get set on defense. Cinny has a different philosophy, they crash the glass after every shot. We don't because Ollie is more concerned with stopping fast breaks. Our poor shooting makes the problem worse.

Next year we will have four bigs again. I'm not as concerned about their play as I am about not having a real big man coach. These guys are not developing. Their fundamentals don't get much better and they never progress to the 200 level.

I fear that Gilbert will never have a full season. He was injured twice just falling to the floor. I know we had a rash of injuries this year, it could be bad luck, it might, just might, reflect on the training staff. Everything should be looked at.

Fingers crossed on Gilbert but Adams must improve. We know he needs to work on his left hand and three point shooting. What concerns me more is that he doesn't draw fouls the way he should. He needs to find contact in the lane rather than avoiding it. He only shot 79 FTs all season. That is 2.6 a game. And since many of those were two shot fouls the actual number of fouls he drew was much less. Kemba had 7.5 FTs per game and Bazz had 6 a game in their championship seasons. Heck, Kemba had 258 points on free throws in 2011. Adams has to learn to get to the line. Ollie should be be able to teach him how.

There's a bunch of other stuff like slow starts, stepping out of bounds, live ball TOs, lack of steals.... but if you could grant me one wish to change our fortunes -- put the ball in the hoop. 42% shooting from the field for 66 points a game will not regularly beat good competition. Let's find some shooters.

Reaction Score
The front court should scare you since well, we don't really have one. Next years team is seriously flawed. I am shocked by the optimism but hopefully I am wrong.
Larrier at his size can be considered a frontcourt player? Don't get me wrong. Alterique is an outstanding talent and will do great things for us but his size gives him limits as far as attacking the rim on drives. What worked in high school, not so much at this level and we saw that a bit early on. Is he a knock down shooter as he should be at that size? I don't know. I think he is capable of making 3's but we need him to be better than that. I agree with you that this optimism that some have stated because of 2 good recruiting classes is open to question.

Reaction Score
Feel like we've said this almost every year since he left, but man, what would a Jeff Adrien type do to the outlook for next season.

Miss his rebounding, competitiveness and toughness.
Diarra if his knee issue resolves

Reaction Score
I was told by someone close to the program that watched some preseason practices that Alterique was the best player on the floor.

BUT I agree we need bangers, that is such a glaring need, don't understand why KO banked the ships at the beginning of the year and esp now! Love KO but let's get some bangers. Gotta have a 5th year guy!
I heard the same thing regarding Gilbert. If healthy, I think he is a potential game changer next year. He may be small, but he is lighting quick. You saw the impact he had early in the season with his ability to get by people. My hope is that with him and Adams facilitating, we can get good looks for guys like Vital and Jackson on the wings. This then will open up driving lanes for everyone else.

One thing to consider this year. Other than Adams, we don't have anyone who can really create their own offense. Against decent teams, they have been able to crowd Adams because everyone else is pretty much catch and shoot.

If healthy, next year we will have at least 4 guys who can this. Adams, Gilbert, Larrier (who has a good handle for someone his size) and MAL. You could potentially play those 4 guys at once as a small lineup. Very hard to guard.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Whether any of us agree, our four point guards (Adams, Gilbert, Vital & MAL ) will average 90-95 combined minutes a game next year, which will give us a few stretches each game with three guards, Larrier or Jackson and one true big. We will also see a few minutes each half with two guards, Larrier, Jackson and one true big.

I will wager heavily that we will average fewer minutes with two of Enoch, Durham/, Diarra and any other 4/5 we may bring in than we will with only one of them and TL or VJ at the four.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Not worried. Just need to get quality with the last two schollies. Hopefully a big. If Enoch and Carlton along with Durham can just rebound, not foul, and score the easy buckets our wings and guards should be left to score

Reaction Score
I'm a little more optimistic than you and probably most. If you look at the roster, assuming decent health, they should be ok.
PG: Gilbert/MAL
SG: Adams/Vital
SF: Larrier/Polley
PF: Jackson/Diarra
C: Enoch/Durham/Carlton

Polley at 6-9 could probably play the 4 some. Jackson could play the 3 some. There is a bunch of flexibility in the roster. I am a little nervous about the three centers like some. A grad student bruiser who could play solid D and rebound would be welcome. And we could use a shooter for sure but with Gilbert and Larrier on the roster we should have fewer problems scoring. Jackson and Vital gained valuable experience this year. It wouldn't shock me if the team started Adams and Vital at the beginning of the season with Alterique and Mal getting significant minutes off the bench.

Reaction Score
Starting 5 right now for 2017-2018.

Gilbert at the 1, Adams at the 2, Larrier at the 3, Durham at the 4, Enoch at the 5.

Factoring in 6 to 8 months of working the program.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

This and guys who can focus on defense for 40 minutes. I expect Durham to make a jump, don't know about Enoch. There were minutes to be had this season and he was relegated to Brimah's foul trouble caddy. Bright side is both guys know they are expected to carry a heavier load next season and both saw Facey turn himself into a legit threat, or enough of one to keep defenses honest. I think both have more talent, if they adopt his offseason program we could be surprised.

I would absolutley look for a stud post player either frosh or juco. I'd take a one and done. Next year should be the better of the next two.

Reaction Score
I'm a little more optimistic than you and probably most. If you look at the roster, assuming decent health, they should be ok.
PG: Gilbert/MAL
SG: Adams/Vital
SF: Larrier/Polley
PF: Jackson/Diarra
C: Enoch/Durham/Carlton

Polley at 6-9 could probably play the 4 some. Jackson could play the 3 some. There is a bunch of flexibility in the roster. I am a little nervous about the three centers like some. A grad student bruiser who could play solid D and rebound would be welcome. And we could use a shooter for sure but with Gilbert and Larrier on the roster we should have fewer problems scoring. Jackson and Vital gained valuable experience this year. It wouldn't shock me if the team started Adams and Vital at the beginning of the season with Alterique and Mal getting significant minutes off the bench.

I would be very surprised if Vital started over Alterique. I think Alterique is a special player. People forget Alterique was inserted into our starting lineup 3 games into his freshman year, and he was by far the best player against Loyola.

Alterique can create his own shot, while Vital is more of a catch shoot player. Alterique is fantastic in driving to the rim and finishing while Vital struggles to make layups. Alterique is quicker and more athletic. Vital has a better 3 point shot but that's something Alterique can improve similar to how Vital improved on his 3 point shooting through this year.

Alterique is special. Most excited for his return next year.

Reaction Score
I would be very surprised if Vital started over Alterique. I think Alterique is a special player. People forget Alterique was inserted into our starting lineup 3 games into his freshman year, and he was by far the best player against Loyola.

Alterique can create his own shot, while Vital is more of a catch shoot player. Alterique is fantastic in driving to the rim and finishing while Vital struggles to make layups. Alterique is quicker and more athletic. Vital has a better 3 point shot but that's something Alterique can improve similar to how Vital improved on his 3 point shooting through this year.

My thinking is that Vital now has much more experience, is a decent defender, is hard-nosed with the loose balls, creates steals and does a lot of the little things and therefore would earn the starts early in the season particularly since Alterique is essentially still a freshman and Mal will actually be a freshman. I have no doubt Alterique is a better player and I wouldn't be at all surprised if his 15-20 minutes off the bench turned into the starting job in short order. You could certainly be right though. I would guess KO would base it on practices and Alterique's health prior to the season starting.

Reaction Score

Alterique can create his own jump shot off the bounce but he had trouble ala Rodney getting to the rim for layups. This is not to say he didn't make some but he is small. Yes he will be an assist machine. I also think he can make the 3. I would like to see him take about a thousand 3's a day this summer and hope his shoulder hold up.

Reaction Score
Would be nice if Josh Carlton could develop into a role player next season and give us a few minutes in the paint.

Reaction Score
Alterique can create his own jump shot off the bounce but he had trouble ala Rodney getting to the rim for layups. This is not to say he didn't make some but he is small. Yes he will be an assist machine. I also think he can make the 3. I would like to see him take about a thousand 3's a day this summer and hope his shoulder hold up.
I feel like people never realize that our players don't get shots at the rim because our spacing and offense are so bad, and we have no inside-out game. Teams that move the ball well and have a free flowing offense get looks at the rim very often, if Durham or Carleton can be a threat to pass as well from the post/elbow, AG, Jalen, Makai, etc. will get many more looks at the rim.

Reaction Score
Alterique Gilbert is a pure point guard that can also score and he's going to play 30 minutes a game with the offense running through him. That is how it would have shook out this year. Like KO said, you can't stay in front of him. He can create, drive, dish, shoot, and provide stability. He is a floor general with leadership qualities. Jalen played really well at the point and expanded his game tremendously but he is not a natural point like Gilbert.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day, if they're gonna be successful next season they need to get their focus back and start playing smart basketball again. Towards the end of the season, and especially in the Cincinnati game, it seemed every single decision they made was the wrong one. I'm hoping the graduation of this years disappointing senior class will help with that, but it will definitely take a full team effort.

I'm hoping Ollie goes into this offseason with an open mind and really examines the offense they run... this year it seemed so slow and so far away from the basket at all times. Every team seemed to get open shots against us, and every shot we took seemed contested. More transition and penetration is needed, maybe next years projected smaller/more athletic lineup will help that. With that said, they need to get a big guy to transfer here who will be tough inside and grab some boards.

There is no doubt the talent is there, but the preparation by both the coaching staff and the players seemed to be lacking this season. If that doesn't change then we'll see the same results we saw this season.

Reaction Score
Diarra if his knee issue resolves
How do we know this?

Is he a 'rebounding machine' due to his skills or his body looks like one?

I'm only asking because I've never seen him play although I've heard the hype.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom