It's Time To (Again) Talk About Expanding The NCAA Tournament Field | The Boneyard

It's Time To (Again) Talk About Expanding The NCAA Tournament Field

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
It's time again to think about expanding the NCAA tournament field

In college basketball's offseason, I think about what the selection committee got wrong, about what I got wrong and about my annual misevaluation of Syracuse.

But I think mostly about the NCAA tournament selection and seeding process. Is it the best that it can be? Are we using the right data? Is it fair and open and inclusive?

Something is wrong when Illinois State can go 17-1 in a top-10 league and still, from recent selection committee experience, know that its NCAA chances aren't good. Or that Monmouth can beat UCLA, Notre Dame, USC and Georgetown but miss the NCAA tournament because of a few bad bounces in a conference tournament.

It's a simple reality: Good teams from major conferences have margin for error; good teams from mid-major conferences do not. Modest expansion can correct this.

Instead of the current combination of First Four participants, let's investigate using the opening round for a floating number of regular-season champions who are not otherwise selected. If a variable number doesn't work for TV (and it probably wouldn't), determine a fixed number of said wild-card selections based on predetermined criteria that also adds needed value to the regular season.

For argument's sake, let's say we expanded the field by four to 72 teams. The additional wild cards -- last season's could have been regular-season winners Illinois State, UT Arlington, Monmouth and Belmont -- would play the last four at-large selections in what would be true "Bracket Buster" contests, typically matching power conference schools against smaller conference schools in compelling fashion. Winners become the four No. 12 seeds in the main bracket.

On the automatic qualifier side, we need to make the current one-bid league participants less isolated. Instead of four teams playing for two spots, make it eight for four. This would lead to a true tournament atmosphere at dual sites -- say, Dayton and someplace Midwest or West -- and give twice the number of non-major champions the thrill of advancing. Winners move on as the four No. 16 seeds, respectively.

So I say "yes" to expansion, but not for its own sake or to save a few coaching jobs. Let's be judicious and achieve a greater good. All we need is one more site and a second network.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Hey we've got the best events in sports.

Let's try and ruin it! Whatta got

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
The at-large selection process for tourney is such bs and I think that's why Lunardi is advocating for some type of expansion. He mentions Monmouth from two years ago and Illinois St. from this year. They both did more than enough to be in the tourney yet it was common knowledge going into selection Sunday that they were both out. I don't see the selection process changing so I would be ok with adding 4 more teams to the play-in games. It doesn't change the structure of the tourney that starts on Thursday night. It gives the selection committee some cover and it gives some smaller conference teams a chance to get into the big dance.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
They could expand to 108 and UConn still won't make the NCAA tournament for the foreseeable future. Amirte?

After the season coming up (because I think this year we could make a field of 108) , most definitely.

Reaction Score
I was never in favor of expansion but if is what needs to be done to get away from the garbage in garbage out selection system they use now. When you have a system where "good losses" are more valuable than any win it is by definition silly. So now I favor expanding to 128. Play a full first round.

Reaction Score
FIFA voted to expand the World Cup from 32 to 46. Wouldn't be shocked to see that from the NCAA. Both organizations definitely do what they do for the good of the game...

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Hey, let's take the greatest thing in sports and ruin it.
You think it's great until you think UConn was screwed because some other less deserving bubble team got in. The bubble is a stupid thing. Basically the tournament is structured to say that dozens of D1 leagues aren't really D1. Says more about doing what Football did and have D1A leagues and drop the pretense.

If all the leagues that qualify as D1 now are involved in the tournament, get rid of the bubble altogether by adding one round, make a cut off winning percentage of say 60%, the tournament will still be lots of fun and the NIT can survive or not. Keep league tournament winners in so a team without the 60% can still get in without knocking out a bubble team.

Reaction Score
You think it's great until you think UConn was screwed because some other less deserving bubble team got in. The bubble is a stupid thing. Basically the tournament is structured to say that dozens of D1 leagues aren't really D1. Says more about doing what Football did and have D1A leagues and drop the pretense.

If all the leagues that qualify as D1 now are involved in the tournament, get rid of the bubble altogether by adding one round, make a cut off winning percentage of say 60%, the tournament will still be lots of fun and the NIT can survive or not. Keep league tournament winners in so a team without the 60% can still get in without knocking out a bubble team.
That would be absolutely horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky