It's The Aubrey Griffin Masterclass | The Boneyard

It's The Aubrey Griffin Masterclass

Reaction Score
Just stumbled into this gem and hadn't seen it here. Not that it couldn't be right in front of my face I'll grant you. Some of it made me think of Maya.

Ok, that's a fabulous video! Every strength Aubrey has is on full display there. She's an incredible slasher and a defensive disruptor in the paint and at the top of the arc. This is what makes her such a great 6th-woman. She's not as amazing in the half court offense, but if she can get out on the break there's no stopping her. She began developing an outside shot -- and the willingness to take it -- and this is the key to her future, I think. I can't wait to see what she's willing to do in November.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Ok, that's a fabulous video! Every strength Aubrey has is on full display there. She's an incredible slasher and a defensive disruptor in the paint and at the top of the arc. This is what makes her such a great 6th-woman. She's not as amazing in the half court offense, but if she can get out on the break there's no stopping her. She began developing an outside shot -- and the willingness to take it -- and this is the key to her future, I think. I can't wait to see what she's willing to do in November.
Her three-point shot was developed in high school. She does did not shoot it much her first two seasons at UConn. Geno said she showed it in practice.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Being a Connecticut Sun season ticketholder who is very much enjoying the Sun's early season success, I would say that Aubrey reminds me most of Tiffany Hayes. It's been a decade since Tiffany played for Geno, and that was probably the last time that UConn had a player like that. Aubrey's role in the UConn offense is more similar to Tiff's than to Gabby's, since Gabby (despite her 5-11 height) was playing mostly in the paint. She didn't take a lot of jump shots or start drives from the perimeter.

Being the Tiffany of the 2023-24 team is a very worthy and valuable role for Aubrey.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Take that video, add a year of maturity and full time Paige/Azzi. If she has added the rumored 3, she has to be an All American candidate.
Probably not gonna happen with The Kid, Fudd and Edwards on the team. One team can only have so many.

Reaction Score
Probably not gonna happen with The Kid, Fudd and Edwards on the team. One team can only have so many.
But Geno tends to try to highlight his Senior players so as to enhance their attraction to future WNBA
teams. So.....This highlight video makes me want to reassess my starting lineup for January. "WHO'S
ON FIRST??" Maybe: Aaliyah, Paige, Aubrey, Azzi, and Caroline? Nika subs for Paige, ICE for Aaliyah,
and, after that, it would depend on who is the opponent and the score after 5 -6 minutes. Stay tuned!!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
But Geno tends to try to highlight his Senior players so as to enhance their attraction to future WNBA
teams.
True, but The Kid and Edwards are "seniors" (probably) and Griffin isn't beating Fudd to an AA award. (if everyone's healthy)

Reminds me of the poster we had when Griffin was a FR, telling us Griffin was going to be the leading scorer. I told him/her if Griffin was our leading scorer, UCONN was in big, big trouble. (i.e. injuries/transfers/other players well below expectations). Well we were in pretty dire straights last year with injuries and Griffin was still only our #5 scorer. I don't expect her to be any higher this year. Although I do expect her to have a good year, as I expect (hope) UCONN to have a more up-tempo running/defensive game this year. Which will be to Griffin's advantage.

I doubt, I hope, she doesn't have anywhere near the numbers to be considered an AA though. If so, again UCONN will be in some trouble.

So.....This highlight video makes me want to reassess my starting lineup for January. "WHO'S
ON FIRST??" Maybe: Aaliyah, Paige, Aubrey, Azzi, and Caroline? Nika subs for Paige, ICE for Aaliyah,
and, after that, it would depend on who is the opponent and the score after 5 -6 minutes. Stay tuned!!
I've had the fifth starter (Geno's lineup, not mine) between Griffin and CFD, with a smaller possibility of ICE for quite some time.

Reaction Score
I've had the fifth starter (Geno's lineup, not mine) between Griffin and CFD, with a smaller possibility of ICE for quite some time.
It's tempting to think of Aubrey as a starter, since she started many games last year. But that doesn't seem to me to be her best role. She's a disruptor and plays in high energy bursts as in the Baylor game. That says 6th woman to me. I'd start Caroline before her, and that could be what happens on many nights. Also, I don't think there's any way Geno doesn't have Nika starting most games, which means Caroline or Aubrey only start in games where it makes sense to use one of them as a 4, and there will be a few of those. But in games where we want a big front line, I expect Ice will start next to Aaliyah and Aubrey and Caroline will come off the bench.

On the much debated topic of Nika, I can picture her as a rotation player when you want to ratchet up the defensive intensity, maybe entering games with Aubrey -- especially in the 3rd quarter, which UConn has traditionally owned. But I doubt that's how Geno will see her. He has said repeatedly that she makes the team better when she's on the floor, and I think we saw ample evidence of this last season. It's not just the assists, or whatever points she scores, or her defensive intensity. It's that she communicates her intensity to whoever else is on the floor.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It's tempting to think of Aubrey as a starter, since she started many games last year. But that doesn't seem to me to be her best role. She's a disruptor and plays in high energy bursts as in the Baylor game. That says 6th woman to me. I'd start Caroline before her, and that could be what happens on many nights. Also, I don't think there's any way Geno doesn't have Nika starting most games, which means Caroline or Aubrey only start in games where it makes sense to use one of them as a 4, and there will be a few of those. But in games where we want a big front line, I expect Ice will start next to Aaliyah and Aubrey and Caroline will come off the bench.

On the much debated topic of Nika, I can picture her as a rotation player when you want to ratchet up the defensive intensity, maybe entering games with Aubrey -- especially in the 3rd quarter, which UConn has traditionally owned. But I doubt that's how Geno will see her. He has said repeatedly that she makes the team better when she's on the floor, and I think we saw ample evidence of this last season. It's not just the assists, or whatever points she scores, or her defensive intensity. It's that she communicates her intensity to whoever else is on the floor.
Eh, Geno doesn't really rotate his starters based on the team he's facing. If he can get a starting lineup he likes and that works, he'll keep that all year. He usually only rotates based on injuries or somebody not performing (or SR night). But not the other team.

Reaction Score
Eh, Geno doesn't really rotate his starters based on the team he's facing. If he can get a starting lineup he likes and that works, he'll keep that all year. He usually only rotates based on injuries or somebody not performing (or SR night). But not the other team.
That hasn't really been the case the since Paige arrived. November through at least January has been more experimental than what we saw in the Stewie years, for example. Paige's freshman year, there was a bit of shifting in the course of the first half of the season between Evina, Anna, Aubrey, Aaliyah, and Nika, and this didn't settle down until late. Paige, Christyn, Liv were the most constant starters for the season. Paige's sophomore year was marked by lineup turmoil due to injuries, and Paige's junior year was turbulent, too.

I agree with you that Geno has typically settled on 5+2 pretty early on and kept that lineup all season. But when I say that, I'm mainly thinking of the Stewie years, and they may not be truly representative, even though they dominate my memory.

Reaction Score
True, but The Kid and Edwards are "seniors" (probably) and Griffin isn't beating Fudd to an AA award. (if everyone's healthy)

Reminds me of the poster we had when Griffin was a FR, telling us Griffin was going to be the leading scorer. I told him/her if Griffin was our leading scorer, UCONN was in big, big trouble. (i.e. injuries/transfers/other players well below expectations). Well we were in pretty dire straights last year with injuries and Griffin was still only our #5 scorer. I don't expect her to be any higher this year. Although I do expect her to have a good year, as I expect (hope) UCONN to have a more up-tempo running/defensive game this year. Which will be to Griffin's advantage.

I doubt, I hope, she doesn't have anywhere near the numbers to be considered an AA though. If so, again UCONN will be in some trouble.

And Jingo was his name O

Reaction Score
Crap. I though we had a Master and Commander OT thread cranking up.

Never mind.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Regarding Aubs (or anyone else), keep in mind that Kiah Stokes rarely started. She’s now in her 9th year in the WNBA on the league’s best team. She’s not a starter, but she plays a key role off the bench.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Right the Kia Nurse effect; DPOY, Fourth best player on the team never able to get an AA nomination.

Reaction Score

Like I thought… a coach can nominate as many players as he/she wants on their team

Reaction Score
I don't see Aubrey as a starter on a team that is healthy. Geno doesn't like chaos and that is where Aubrey shines. I see her more in a role that comes off the bench to offer a little energy and when her quickness will be an even greater mismatch for tired players on the opposing team.

In my opinion UCONN had a great 5 last year but didn't have the spark off the bench they could count on nightly. When two really good teams are playing that is a huge advantage. Dominate the 2nd and 3rd quarter and you dominate the game. Last year they basically had to hang on in the second quarter to have a chance in the third quarter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom