It's Talent and It's Recruiting | The Boneyard

It's Talent and It's Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sometimes it's not as complicated as we make it out to be: this team does not have enough talent, and it comes down to who we are successful in recruiting.

Since the Boat/Daniels/Drummond class, we have failed to consistently bring in UConn-caliber talent.

2012:
Omar Calhoun was highly rated, was good his freshman year but a disaster since then.
Nolan was a nobody and has played like it.
Tolksdorf never contributed.

2013:
Samuel and Facey were unheralded -- for most of our recent history guys like this would not scratch the starting lineup.
Brimah is a project with potential, but is a liability in some ways.

2014:
Hamilton is a stud, no qualifiers.
Purvis was considered a top recruit, but did not blow anyone away at NC State. Uncertain how good he'll be here.
Lubin is not a high-major talent.

Over the last 3 years, more than half of the guys we've brought in are not up to snuff relative to the level this program was at 5-10 years ago. Not every class has to have 3-4 studs, but there have simply not been enough.

There is reason to believe the recruiting situation has gotten and will get better, but if it does not improve we could be looking at a lot more of the same.

Reaction Score
Facey was top 60 I thought. But he has a game that doesn't translate beyond HS. If you're 6-9 200lbs you better have a handle, quickness and a perimeter game. He has none of these.

Reaction Score
I think some here are hesitant to admit we have a problem but in this case OP is right. Yes I'm sure he posted it instinctively after a bad loss but it's still true.

Reaction Score
Facey was top 60 I thought. But he has a game that doesn't translate beyond HS. If you're 6-9 200lbs you better have a handle, quickness and a perimeter game. He has none of these.

The OP is obviously relentlessly negative about everything but he makes a valid point about the talent level of this team. Your post about Facey is just ridiculous though. I would count him among the guys that - while he wouldn't beat out Kevin Freeman at the four spot (probably even today) - can be a very good player, and sooner rather than later.

Reaction Score
I'll believe it when I see it. He has a lanky 3s body with virtually zero skills and can't play a legit 4.

M
The OP is obviously relentlessly negative about everything but he makes a valid point about the talent level of this team. Your post about Facey is just ridiculous though. I would count him among the guys that - while he wouldn't beat out Kevin Freeman at the four spot (probably even today) - can be a very good player, and sooner rather than later.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
This post is true and I have said it before, but there will always be people who are too proud to admit it, hence all the people who will come in here and bash OP. The fact is, you need good players to develop to the level of a contender, and this team currently only has 2, maybe 3 of those guys, everyone else is simply filling a position on the roster and can really bring very little on their own without a man to set them up.

Reaction Score
We have championship hangover, it has happened after every championship. We have never had a real good season after a championship run. I still think we will make the tournament. Having the AAC tournament in Hartford is certainly looking like a major blessing.

also need to get healthy.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Terrance Samuel, Phil Nolan and the current Rodney Purvis do not belong in a high major rotation. Facey and SC Jr would be role players coming off the bench with limited minutes in most rotations. We cant have guards who cant dribble or shoot and bigs who cant rebound playing major minutes, but we don't have anyone else. It's sad.

Reaction Score
Terrance Samuel, Phil Nolan and the current Rodney Purvis do not belong in a high major rotation. Facey and SC Jr would be role players coming off the bench with limited minutes in most rotations. We cant have guards who cant dribble or shoot and bigs who cant rebound playing major minutes, but we don't have anyone else. It's sad.

If TSAM and Purvis aren't going to be part of the rotation then just cancel the season because we are going nowhere. Both need to be major contributors.

Reaction Score

Well what happened to Samuel? He was a very solid contributor off the bench for a National Champion team. He just all of a sudden regressed?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
If TSAM and Purvis aren't going to be part of the rotation then just cancel the season because we are going nowhere. Both need to be major contributors.

Agreed. Sometimes you're just stuck with who you have. All one can do is hope/pray for some miraculous improvement.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Well what happened to Samuel? He was a very solid contributor off the bench for a National Champion team. He just all of a sudden regressed?
I think what happened was we had lethal shooters all over the court which opened up lanes for him to drive and teams didn't really have a good scouting report on him at that time. He's good in space driving to the hoop, with his right but cant do much more offensively.

Reaction Score
A lot of our recruiting recently was hurt by our academic scandal and suspension. Ollie has a good reputation and will get good recruits. I do not feel OP was particularly negative just making some valid points. Also, remember, Brimah had a wasted Summer. He normally would have played or gone to big man camp. He was rehabbing this Summer and explains why he looks no better to me than he did last year. This is just a weird disjointed team. It has many young players, some veterans and experienced transfers. They have no idea how to play together at this point. It's going to be a challenging year.

Reaction Score
Samuel played with guards who were a real threat shooting wise, not so much now.

Reaction Score
Recruiting is the lifeblood of a program. Every great coach has said this. The OP is correct. There have been too few high level recruits over too many years. Add to that injuries, possibly leading to confidence issues, has caused two of our better players to play at a low level. There is not enough talent to pick up the slack. It is just that simple. We don't have 9 McD and 10 5 star players to work with. Not even close. Whether we have beaten UK and Duke recently is irrelevant. We need a better influx of talent to stay relevant. We have a huge need in the front court...have for a few years...and still can't get good players...really good players...to yes. That's a problem

Reaction Score
Sometimes it's not as complicated as we make it out to be: this team does not have enough talent, and it comes down to who we are successful in recruiting.

Since the Boat/Daniels/Drummond class, we have failed to consistently bring in UConn-caliber talent.

2012:
Omar Calhoun was highly rated, was good his freshman year but a disaster since then.
Nolan was a nobody and has played like it.
Tolksdorf never contributed.

2013:
Samuel and Facey were unheralded -- for most of our recent history guys like this would not scratch the starting lineup.
Brimah is a project with potential, but is a liability in some ways.

2014:
Hamilton is a stud, no qualifiers.
Purvis was considered a top recruit, but did not blow anyone away at NC State. Uncertain how good he'll be here.
Lubin is not a high-major talent.

Over the last 3 years, more than half of the guys we've brought in are not up to snuff relative to the level this program was at 5-10 years ago. Not every class has to have 3-4 studs, but there have simply not been enough.

There is reason to believe the recruiting situation has gotten and will get better, but if it does not improve we could be looking at a lot more of the same.
Yup that's why we lost to Yale, those Ivy leaguers clearly have more talent.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
2012: Coach Calhoun was basically on his last leg. Most recruits aren't going to commit to a coach who may not even be healthy enough to coach them. Not to mention, the Nolan and Tolksdorf adds were late adds because of players leaving.

2013: KO's first recruiting months as the head coach. IIRC, Facey and Samuel were Calhoun commits coming into the season. Calhoun basically strongarmed Warde into giving KO the job by retiring a couple of months before the season started. In addition, Warde only gave KO a 1-year deal effectively making him a lame duck. Top recruits aren't considering a coach who may not even coach them. Once KO got the 5-year deal, he was able to snag a sleeper in Brimah who obviously wasn't a strong rebounder with his frame.

2014: 6 games isn't enough to declare anything.

Reaction Score
NY state player of the year.

Reaction Score
2012: Coach Calhoun was basically on his last leg. Most recruits aren't going to commit to a coach who may not even be healthy enough to coach them. Not to mention, the Nolan and Tolksdorf adds were late adds because of players leaving.

2013: KO's first recruiting months as the head coach. IIRC, Facey and Samuel were Calhoun commits coming into the season. Calhoun basically strongarmed Warde into giving KO the job by retiring a couple of months before the season started. In addition, Warde only gave KO a 1-year deal effectively making him a lame duck. Top recruits aren't considering a coach who may not even coach them. Once KO got the 5-year deal, he was able to snag a sleeper in Brimah who obviously wasn't a strong rebounder with his frame.

2014: 6 games isn't enough to declare anything.

Yes, we were definitely paddling upstream in terms of recruiting for a few years there. That's why I expect the situation to improve, with many of those issues resolved (although the conference situation could be an anchor around our neck).

That said, it's clearly a contributing factor to our struggles both last year during the regular season and this year.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
I think he was like ranked 80-100 on most sites. Still a 4 star top 100 player so he was a pretty good get.

Reaction Score
Yup that's why we lost to Yale, those Ivy leaguers clearly have more talent.

They looked more talented tonight. Game should not have been as close as it was. They got literally every open look they wanted.

Reaction Score
I agree there is not much margin for error on this team.
If we can get healty.,this team will end up surprising some people.
The key is RB and Purvis.,this team is very similar to early 2011 ,
Could you imagine that team with Kemba and SN injured.
Lamb emerged but if he was the primary ball handler ,they wouldn't have beaten anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom