It's Official - Werth Family | The Boneyard

It's Official - Werth Family

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From the Courant

Apparently, none of the former Huskies in the NBA donated money to the facility costs. Donor names are sprinkled throughout the facility and one sign listed all former players who donated. Former men's players who donated include Steve Pikiell, but none of the NBA alumni.

Former women's players who donated include Rebecca Lobo, Sue Bird, and Diana Taurasi, among others.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Congratulations to them. Their initial contribution was a big momentum shift for this project.

Reaction Score
Mind blowing that not a single UConn Men's player donated even a dime besides Coach Ollie! It didn't have to be a gargantuan amount, but at least the gesture of giving some nominal amount would have made a difference. I mean melo, a one and doner, ponied up millions for cuse....The place needs decorations so I hope they step up now.

Reaction Score
Calhoun was always adamant he didn't think the. Nba guys should be asked to give.

And I agree with Calhoun, but I think it should've been a gesture they wanted to make on there own accord. The program seems to treat them right and they are always still around at games and practices.....Ray Allen is even at this event. As an alum I don't need to be asked to bolster my alma mater, it's something I enjoy and get to brag about. I would think being apart of a basketball dynasty would instill that same sense of pride.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I agree with Calhoun...but I'd be shocked if he thought that'd mean almost NONE of them would give ANYTHING.

Isn't my money. Not up to me how to spend it. But it's very disappointing, at the least, as a visual. And, they're still missing a significant percentage of the total cost, about $7 million.

Reaction Score
It seems weird to me that people have feelings about where the money is coming from or how much the named sponsor gave... Who cares as long as the building is completed? I loved watching Ray Allen. But he's not the future of UConn basketball. The kids who practice in the building are. The kids who are commit because of that building are. Life's too short man.

Reaction Score
Do you think the Uconn alum (mens) have become selfish. And forgotten it was their school along with their coaches that got them to where they are. Our most successful alum (Ray Allen) didn't give a dime. Hell Carmelo gave Syracuse 1M.

Reaction Score
Do you think the Uconn alum (mens) have become selfish. And forgotten it was their school along with their coaches that got them to where they are. Our most successful alum (Ray Allen) didn't give a dime. Hell Carmelo gave Syracuse 1M.

I think their own individual talents also had a good deal in getting them where they are. I find it a bit surprising that there aren't reports of anyone donating besides the release of KO donating last year, but let's not act like the school didn't make millions off the players as well.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Isn't my money. Not up to me how to spend it. But it's very disappointing, at the least, as a visual. And, they're still missing a significant percentage of the total cost, about $7 million.

Yep, I didn't want to use the word disappointing initially, but that's what it will be if none of the former star players donate something.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Just a thought, maybe Ray Allen feels his money is better spent donating to his work with child diabetes then a basketball gym.

It would be cool if every guy thought to donate, but that's an awkward position to put Calhoun in to ask.

The players don't owe UConn any money for everything they've brought to the school. Feel like every fan that says they should've, should look in the mirror and say how much they've donated before casting a cloud on the players.

zls44

Reaction Score
They don't have to donate. Just saying its not the best visual in the world. Especially when you have former walk-ons, team managers and WBB players making six-figures at most donating.

Plus, couldn't these guys use the tax shelter? Maybe not, might not be something that can be written-off anyway.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Man you freaking guys. How about not working so hard to find something to gripe about? Today is a great day for the program. The Champions Center was all funded by private contribution, so it's not like the state had to pony up. How 'bout we give the bitching a rest, just for today?

zls44

Reaction Score
I added up the career to-date earnings for 15 of their biggest NBA alumni. It's over $886,000,000.

Can they spare $1,000? Is that a ridiculous expectation? They don't need to cover ALL of the missing cash, but I'll be that guy here and say that a grand each is a reasonable expectation.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I added up the career to-date earnings for 15 of their biggest NBA alumni. It's over $886,000,000.

Can they spare $1,000? Is that a ridiculous expectation? They don't need to cover ALL of the missing cash, but I'll be that guy here and say that a grand each is a reasonable expectation.

I prefer to think they've all donated but asked their donations remain anonymous.

Reaction Score
Man you freaking guys. How about not working so hard to find something to gripe about? Today is a great day for the program. The Champions Center was all funded by private contribution, so it's not like the state had to pony up. How 'bout we give the bitching a rest, just for today?

^ This. Thank you, CL82.

On a side note, we could be the Cuse today;)

Reaction Score
I prefer to think they've all donated but asked their donations remain anonymous.
I have to assume players donated anonymously, it just doesn't make any sense otherwise. Moving on, tonight should be awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom