It's Official - The New NCAA Transfer Rules | The Boneyard

It's Official - The New NCAA Transfer Rules

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score

Looks like the Golden Domers will be the destination of future grad transfers. :):rolleyes:

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
But this:

The one-time exception will count for athletes who transfer after graduating. Previously, NCAA rules permitted athletes who had graduated to transfer and be immediately eligible.

Now, if an athlete has already use a one-time exception for a transfer as an undergraduate, the athlete is not automatically eligible as a graduate transfer. Athletes can still apply for a waiver to become eligible under certain circumstances.

If you graduate, you are not transferring. It's not that way for non-athletes, why should it be any different for athletes? I mean isn't the NCAA's big theme to assure progress toward graduation? Why penalize those who have been successful?

Reaction Score
But this:

The one-time exception will count for athletes who transfer after graduating. Previously, NCAA rules permitted athletes who had graduated to transfer and be immediately eligible.

Now, if an athlete has already use a one-time exception for a transfer as an undergraduate, the athlete is not automatically eligible as a graduate transfer. Athletes can still apply for a waiver to become eligible under certain circumstances.

If you graduate, you are not transferring. It's not that way for non-athletes, why should it be any different for athletes? I mean isn't the NCAA's big theme to assure progress toward graduation? Why penalize those who have been successful?
I swear this move makes about as much sense as what was before. I was very much a fan of sit for a year as an undergraduate but grad transfer is game on. I do think the grad transfer rule was being exploited and I found it strange so many wanted to go to another school for a year or so because their school didn't offer the degree.

Maybe this is the NCAA's way of clamping down on free agency so to speak. I've been vocal about disliking what was going on with school jumping but it's the way of the world now.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Isn't it helping a grad student by giving them 2 years of scholarship funded tuition to pursue a second degree? I would imagine if they were planning to pursue a career in the WNBA, then they wouldn't even consider staying in college for another year. ?

I realize that this past season there were WNBA quality grad students (Carrington for Baylor, etc) but I guessing that the pandemic had an impact on the decisions.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom