It's Confusing - Who's on First | The Boneyard

It's Confusing - Who's on First

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"It wasn't necessarily pressure," Nurse said. "It was just an understanding that it's a different role for me and there's a different level that I had to take my game to. And to understand that I'm back in the point guard spot, which I haven't been in in a while. So it was making sure that every single day, that when things are starting to fall off or go wrong on the offensive end, I had to make sure that I was that person to kind of pull the group together and say, this is what we need to run, get a basket and we'll be back on track. That's my role."

Operation Goes Smoothly With Nurse, Newest Member Of UConn’s 1,000-Point Club

I do know that UConn's style of play often makes who is PG largely irrelevant, but honestly has it seemed that Kia is the PG? Do I care> Not much. But what she goes on to say sure says she is the floor leader of this club.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
"It wasn't necessarily pressure," Nurse said. "It was just an understanding that it's a different role for me and there's a different level that I had to take my game to. And to understand that I'm back in the point guard spot, which I haven't been in in a while. So it was making sure that every single day, that when things are starting to fall off or go wrong on the offensive end, I had to make sure that I was that person to kind of pull the group together and say, this is what we need to run, get a basket and we'll be back on track. That's my role."

I do know that UConn's style of play often makes who is PG largely irrelevant, but honestly has it seemed that Kia is the PG? Do I care> Not much. But what she goes on to say sure says she is the floor leader of this club.
Ummm, she doesn't always bring the ball up the court, but I think it's more she's the leader when she's out there. Maybe not always "run the point" but it is always "run the team". From the earlier Geno Shows, it was made pretty clear this was Nurse's team. (with I think some help from Williams).

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I agree that Kia appears to be the leader on the floor, particularly when the Huskies get a little out of sorts and need someone to settle things down, but she's not a pg in the traditional sense. She does appear to be the one talking when the team huddles up before foul shots and at other times during the game, but she doesn't have the ball in her hand all the time like Mo.

Ultimately, on a team that assists on over 70% of all made baskets, with 8 players averaging 1+ assist per game, and 6 players averaging 2+ assists per game (Lou, Pheesa, Kia, Gabby, Saniya & Danger), everybody is a pg.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I agree that Kia appears to be the leader on the floor, particularly when the Huskies get a little out of sorts and need someone to settle things down, but she's not a pg in the traditional sense. She does appear to be the one talking when the team huddles up before foul shots and at other times during the game, but she doesn't have the ball in her hand all the time like Mo.

Ultimately, on a team that assists on over 70% of all made baskets, with 8 players averaging 1+ assist per game, and 6 players averaging 2+ assists per game (Lou, Pheesa, Kia, Gabby, Saniya & Danger), everybody is a pg.
Well Jefferson was/is true PG. Nurse, as has been noted is more a combo guard. Same with Chong. Now Dangerfield on the other hand is probably more a true PG in the Jefferson mode.

Reaction Score

Kia is the right person, regardless of what you may call her position, to run this team!! She has been bringing the ball up the floor in the last 2 or so AAC games. KLS--said we can all bring the ball up the floor--so opponents can't beat us up the floor (or words to that effect) . I like Kia running things--even when Dangerfield returns. No one, not any one on this team or many others are as tough and tough minded as Kia--have you ever seen her rattled??
No who's on Second, What's on first====short stop---I don't know!! And I don't give a dam.

Reaction Score

In a recent (last 3 weeks) interview--KLS said we can all bring the ball up the floor, making it hard for opponents beat us up the floor --or similar words. When Shea was Captain and Sue was point Guard.
Shea ran the team. according to some minor media stuff--Sue said she was tasked by Geno to be responsible for every action on the floor--if someone missed a pass that was Sues fault--she had some "minor" discussion with Shea--who thought she "ran the team".as Captain.

Reaction Score
Ummm, she doesn't always bring the ball up the court, but I think it's more she's the leader when she's out there. Maybe not always "run the point" but it is always "run the team". From the earlier Geno Shows, it was made pretty clear this was Nurse's team. (with I think some help from Williams).
Kia has been, in the last 2 or 3 AAC games, bring the ball up the floor--no one always brings it up--not if they want to work the fast break. Some times the Geno shows are created weeks prior--and with this team what's happen is fluid. I like Kia leading this team, good call Geno!! (but I wish he'd check with me first).

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I've always thought of Kia as a combo guard and Saniya as a point. But Saniya was a prolific scorer as well as a prolific passer, so she can also be a combo guard. I think they're working very well together, trading off 1 and 2 responsibilities as they or the coaching staff see fit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom