It's Bad, But... | The Boneyard

It's Bad, But...

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I'm still 10 toes.

I'm still 10 toes in because even though Ollie has been a successful head coach of a blue chip program he's still got to go through his share of "firsts". You can dismiss that he has been successful by saying it was with Calhoun's players, but Bazz became Bazz under Ollie, Boat became Boat and Kemba improved immensely while KO was an assistant here and I refuse to believe he had nothing to do with that. We know KO can develop guards.

Ollie needs to go through his first "rebuilding year." Calhoun went through cycles, and while his lows weren't as low as 0-2 to the likes of Wagner and Northeastern, there were some tough years when our core was young and ill prepared. The most talented players on this team are Freshman and Freshman +2 games. Adams and Gilbert will be great players, they pass the sniff test. Enoch shows upside. KO can recruit.

Game management remains an issue.

The lack of development of bigs remains an issue.

Sometimes these seasons can be fun if the improvement comes. Staying patient.

Adams needs to recognize this is his team. Gilbert needs a few games under his belt.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I agree with you I am still with the Huskies. But I want to counter your points to create a level-headed argument - something that has been missing from the BY since the Wagner tip.

• With less talent and arguably a harder schedule, Calhoun started 11-0 in 2006-2007.
  • I believe Shabazz became "Shabazz" when he hit the game winner vs. Villanova in 2011-2012. KO was a mere by-product of his success. Its showing quite clearly that Shabazz is not an everyday NBA guard like he could have been. Does this lack of success at the next level fall on the lack of preparation he got under Ollie?
  • Game management is huge - it is abysmal. I agree there.
  • Lack of development is also abysmal, often time players get worse. See: Brimah, Purvis, Facey, Boatright (?), Terrence Samuel.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately KO himself hasn't looked 10 toes in and for some time I might add. As far as I'm concerned the problem is not personnel (8 top 100 players) but coaching. Every single play on offense is one on five. In terms of player development no one at any position has improved, and it's not just that our bigs are incredibly soft and have stone hands. No question Ollie was a terrific assistant coach, but he's making 3 million a year to coach a blue blood and this isn't a lifetime deal. I'm rooting for him because UConn hoops means everything to me, but his seat will be very warm if he doesn't turn this around next season.

Reaction Score
This isn't about Ollie. This isn't about the bigs. Or youth. Or Purvis. Nah, it's bigger than that. It's about UConn basketball. UConn should never lose at home to the likes of Wagner or Northeastern. There is simply no excuse or reason that can justify that.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
This isn't about Ollie. This isn't about the bigs. Or youth. Or Purvis. Nah, it's bigger than that. It's about UConn basketball. UConn should never lose at home to the likes of Wagner or Northeastern. There is simply no excuse or reason that can justify that.
Brimah

Reaction Score
I agree with you I am still with the Huskies. But I want to counter your points to create a level-headed argument - something that has been missing from the BY since the Wagner tip.

• With less talent and arguably a harder schedule, Calhoun started 11-0 in 2006-2007.
  • I believe Shabazz became "Shabazz" when he hit the game winner vs. Villanova in 2011-2012. KO was a mere by-product of his success. Its showing quite clearly that Shabazz is not an everyday NBA guard like he could have been. Does this lack of success at the next level fall on the lack of preparation he got under Ollie?
  • Game management is huge - it is abysmal. I agree there.
  • Lack of development is also abysmal, often time players get worse. See: Brimah, Purvis, Facey, Boatright (?), Terrence Samuel.
Yeah boat sucked his senior year.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I'm still 10 toes.

I'm still 10 toes in because even though Ollie has been a successful head coach of a blue chip program he's still got to go through his share of "firsts". You can dismiss that he has been successful by saying it was with Calhoun's players, but Bazz became Bazz under Ollie, Boat became Boat and Kemba improved immensely while KO was an assistant here and I refuse to believe he had nothing to do with that. We know KO can develop guards.

Ollie needs to go through his first "rebuilding year." Calhoun went through cycles, and while his lows weren't as low as 0-2 to the likes of Wagner and Northeastern, there were some tough years when our core was young and ill prepared. The most talented players on this team are Freshman and Freshman +2 games. Adams and Gilbert will be great players, they pass the sniff test. Enoch shows upside. KO can recruit.

Adams needs to recognize this is his team. Gilbert needs a few games under his belt.
This is all 100% valid...

if it was actually a meltdown over several different "firsts", but quite frankly none of these things people seem upset about are firsts, they are actually seemingly become the "norm".

Reaction Score
I'm still 10 toes in. Might miss the dance this year but we'll be fine in the long run.

Bottom line is that you can't have four straight subpar recruiting classes and keep up as an elite program. Now that we're getting elite recruiting classes again I've little doubt we'll survive this year's dip (which looks like it'll be real and spectacular).

Reaction Score
I'm still 10 toes.

Daniels improved a lot too.

This is a real mystery. The magic of the first 2 years seems to be gone. And no way can people argue that the 14 team was more talented.

Could it be that Ollie is trying to jam his players into an NBA system, whereas the 14 kids were adept at running offensive sets?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I'm still 10 toes in. Might miss the dance this year but we'll be fine in the long run.

Bottom line is that you can't have four straight subpar recruiting classes and keep up as an elite program. Now that we're getting elite recruiting classes again I've little doubt we'll survive this year's dip (which looks like it'll be real and spectacular).
How do you explain the actual game of basketball though. Go rewatch the game last night, Northeastern and even Wagner were moving the ball with flow, getting guys open shots and just playing good basketball. Our guys didn't string together 2 straight possessions like that all season so far. Are you saying Wagner and Northeastern have been recruiting at an elite level the last 4 years?

Reaction Score
Are you saying Wagner and Northeastern have been recruiting at an elite level the last 4 years?
No, but veteran teams -- and both are that -- tend to play better at the start of the season. Witness Yale's win over Washington for another data point.

I'm 100% disappointed in how we've started this year, and believe we should be 2-0. I also believe Ollie needs to improve as an in-game coach, and the lack of game awareness developed by our bigs (Facey and Enoch especially) troubles me. It's a long-term concern.

But there's context for everything. This is our time in the desert and I can live with that, because I know what'll happen if we keep stringing together classes like this year's and 2017's.

Reaction Score
Our first goal should be winning conference Championships, including first place. We really need some level of consistency there or if you will domination. We have not yet proven that we don't belong in the AAC, it actually seems like we fit right in.

2014 was a wonderful and attractive statement but its now becoming a footnote in history. Let's get back to Conference domination and make the best of the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom