OT: It's amazing how some names become almost immortal. . . | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: It's amazing how some names become almost immortal. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Many awards are named after a player who did things being mimicked in the present day.

But is any award more appropriately named than the one in honor of Cy Young?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Many awards are named after a player who did things being mimicked in the present day.

But is any award more appropriately named than the one in honor of Cy Young?

The Lombardi Trophy?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Many awards are named after a player who did things being mimicked in the present day. But is any award more appropriately named than the one in honor of Cy Young?

You reminded me of my favorite "guaranteed-to-win-a-drink-at-any-sports-bar" baseball trivia question:

"Who is the only pitcher that won 20 games (season) in both the American League and the National League -- but never won the Cy Young Award?";)

Okay, let's see who gets it first.

Go!

Reaction Score
You reminded me of my favorite "guaranteed-to-win-a-drink-at-any-sports-bar" baseball trivia question:

"Who is the only pitcher that won 20 games (season) in both the American League and the National League -- but never won the Cy Young Award?";)

Okay, let's see who gets it first.

Go!
Could it be Cy Young?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Could it be Cy Young?

BINGO!

OK. now you got that one, tell me what (pair or group of) brothers hit the most MLB home runs (collectively)?

Reaction Score
Concerning the perpetuation of Rube Goldberg, every year the freshmen class of my son's high school (a small, magnet Technology High) are broken up into random groups of four who have to invent and build an actual, working Rube Goldberg invention. They also have to create a computer-generated presentation describing the engineering, including a recording of a successful outcome.

This year's class had about 100 kids, so there were 25 groups. Amazingly, each group produced a successful model. There was a parents' night in which all the inventions were on display and the kids described their projects. Parents filled out judging forms provided by the teacher.

My son's group came in second, because it was in the spirit of a Goldberg creation. His design would eventually pour milk into a single-serving cereal box- which they passed out to the crowd.

Concerning immortals, how about Wrong-Way-Corrigan and the the mythical Casey
at the Bat?

Reaction Score
I was discussing with my 4-5 yo Catechism class last week how some of their names were the same as saints. After a few names, one of the little ones asked what was God's father's name. A few minutes later, a response from the back replied "Art". She explained, " you know..Our father who is Art in heaven." Good enough for me.

Reaction Score
Here in CT high school football we have the "Jack Cochran Rule".
If a team beats an opponent by 50 or more points the winning coach is suspended for the next game.

Reaction Score
Here in CT high school football we have the "Jack Cochran Rule".
If a team beats an opponent by 50 or more points the winning coach is suspended for the next game.
Not like the Steve Spurrier rule (while coach at Florida): "We're gonna go out there and beat 'em as bad as we can beat 'em and, if they don't like it, tell 'em to get better."

BTW (Jack Cochran Rule), shouldn't the losing coach be suspended for the following season?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Not like the Steve Spurrier rule (while coach at Florida): "We're gonna go out there and beat 'em as bad as we can beat 'em and, if they don't like it, tell 'em to get better."

BTW (Jack Cochran Rule), shouldn't the losing coach be suspended for the following season?

My knowledge is a couple of years outdated from living 27 years in Groton and Ledyard, but, I believe that this isn't "cut and dried". If a coach clearly substitutes liberally, keeps the clock running, keeps the offense pretty "bread and butter", etc., then, upon review or appeal, the penalty is waived - particularly if the opposing coach or AD, when asked during the review, says that the "offending" coach didn't try to run up the score. The reason the rule is known as the Jack Cochran rule is kinda obvious. He did leave his starters in, ran an aggressive offense, and try to run up the score.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I was discussing with my 4-5 yo Catechism class last week how some of their names were the same as saints. After a few names, one of the little ones asked what was God's father's name. A few minutes later, a response from the back replied "Art". She explained, " you know..Our father who is Art in heaven." Good enough for me.
It thought was, 'Harold," as in "Harold be thy name."

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Committing a Shan, or Shanning. Happens on here quite a bit.

ABachelor6CR

Time Traveler
Reaction Score
Lyle Alzado rule....Thou Shall not use thy helmet as a weapon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads