It's always darkest just before the dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Let's pray it's closer to 6am than 3am.....:(

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Earlier this season I thought a new HC or an interim might be able to turn the ship around and get the team to be competitive in a season. Now I think it might take much longer.

Reaction Score
Maybe we can set the clocks back an hour and start over.

Reaction Score
Earlier this season I thought a new HC or an interim might be able to turn the ship around and get the team to be competitive in a season. Now I think it might take much longer.

I don't know what to think anymore. I said in another thread, we look slow, tentative, and confused. Is it mostly coaching? Hard to say. I'm not seeing a lot of talent out there. How many 170 lbs running backs run untouched to third level have the angle on a much bigger safety and can't out run him to the endzone? The defense looks like they don't want to get their white jerseys dirty on tackle attempts.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score

Better late than never I guess....you still have faith that AD Warde Manuel competent to select next HC? Is everyone else?

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Well, an old friend used to tell me that actually it is always darkest just before it gets absolutely black.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Better late than never I guess....you still have faith that AD Warde Manuel competent to select next HC? Is everyone else?
The two statements "I'd like to see who Manuel hires" and "It may take more than a year for a new HC to turn it around" are not mutually exclusive. The reason it could take longer for even a good coach to turn it around is because of PP's ineptitude in coaching and recruiting, and that is still traceable to Jeff Hathaway.

Reaction Score
..................Yeah, and the light at the end of the tunnel is the headlamp of the oncoming train.
I don't necessarily agree with that. I remember back in the late 70's and early 80's when UConn men's & women's basketball could be compared to the current football situation yet once the right people were brought in magical things happened. I think those magical things can happen to UConn in football also as long as UConn Nation believes it can and works hard to make sure it can.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't necessarily agree with that. I remember back in the late 70's and early 80's when UConn men's & women's basketball could be compared to the current football situation yet once the right people were brought in magical things happened. I think those magical things can happen to UConn in football also as long as UConn Nation believes it can and works hard to make sure it can.

Remeber when the women's basketball program in some year somewhere could be compared to UConn's football season?

Actually no. No one anywhere remembers a women's basketball team like this because nobody cares about women's basketball except the handful of people who like the 5 teams that compete.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score

Oh God no. We certainly did not see this season coming and I am certain the Rock Star did not as well. The pretty lady Suzy will be no help now that she has her foot in her mouth with the Allred mess

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Oh God no. We certainly did not see this season coming and I am certain the Rock Star did not as well. The pretty lady Suzy will be no help now that she has her foot in her mouth with the Allred mess

Gloria Allred is a publicity whore at a level close to Madonna, Gaga and Miley Cyrus. I have no clue as to what really happened with the women at UConn who are complaining about how the school reacted to rape accusations but Allred's involvement is doing no favors to their credibility.

As far as SH & WM, if every member of the Boneyard was as good at their jobs as the two of them, the school would already have the billion dollar endowment they are trying to build and the donations for football head coach would put us in position to try to pry Nick Saban from Alabama.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How about Warde fixes the football program before we make ridiculous comments like that.

HE IS THE GUY WHO BROUGHT THIS NONSENSE BACK FOR A THIRD SEASON.

I mean it was only dozens of mere mortals who pointed out that was a blunder.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Gloria Allred is a publicity whore at a level close to Madonna, Gaga and Miley Cyrus. I have no clue as to what really happened with the women at UConn who are complaining about how the school reacted to rape accusations but Allred's involvement is doing no favors to their credibility.

As far as SH & WM, if every member of the Boneyard was as good at their jobs as the two of them, the school would already have the billion dollar endowment they are trying to build and the donations for football head coach would put us in position to try to pry Nick Saban from Alabama.

You have been unmasked, finally, as a Herbst toady. Admit it. You continually state you have inside info you "just cannot reveal."

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Whaler, why are you such a miserable ? Is your life really that bad?

There were many factors (most we may never find out) to be considered before firing someone after their second season at the helm and then trying to tell a competent candidate that he will be given the time necessary to build a winning program.

So WM is a failure because he didn't cam P last December. I imagine that you were one of the many who felt we hired the wrong guy for the basketball program when Penders took URI to the sweet sixteen and then, in the mid 1990's claimed that Calhoun could never win a big game.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
You have been unmasked, finally, as a Herbst toady. Admit it. You continually state you have inside info you "just cannot reveal."

I've never claimed any inside info that I cannot reveal pertaining to anyone beyond a stray player or two. I am beyond impressed with both Herbst and Manuel. I am not alone here, although I am at the moment in the minority on the boneyard. That will change in time. Boneyarders will be in unison about both, similar to how we feel about JC & GA.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whaler, why are you such a miserable ? Is your life really that bad?

There were many factors (most we may never find out) to be considered before firing someone after their second season at the helm and then trying to tell a competent candidate that he will be given the time necessary to build a winning program.

So WM is a failure because he didn't cam P last December. I imagine that you were one of the many who felt we hired the wrong guy for the basketball program when Penders took URI to the sweet sixteen and then, in the mid 1990's claimed that Calhoun could never win a big game.

No this team is that bad.

Let's go back to the post that I replied to.

You inferred that if we collectively were as good as Warde Manuel at his job UConn would be set..

Let's examine two things:

A: Ollie. Warde turned his hire into a debacle. You mentioned Calhoun. Thank God for him and his approach

B: YES WARDE MANUEL IS HORRIBLE FOR NOT FIRING PASQUALONI LAST YEAR THE ENTIRE WORLD KNEW IT NEEDED TO HAPPEN. NOT ONLY DID HE NOT FIRE PASQUALONI HE HIRED WEIST.

I generally like your takes and posts, but ** this nonsense that there are reasons P couldn't go last year and ** the idea that Manuel isn't at fault for bringing Pasqualoni back.

As for your ridiculous Penders deflection... Honestly it's so stupid I can't respond.

Reaction Score
I've never claimed any inside info that I cannot reveal pertaining to anyone beyond a stray player or two. I am beyond impressed with both Herbst and Manuel. I am not alone here, although I am at the moment in the minority on the boneyard. That will change in time. Boneyarders will be in unison about both, similar to how we feel about JC & GA.

I can truthfully, and whole heartedly say that I hope you are right.

Because we might find a way to put a win or two together before the season is out, but to fix this program for the long term, needs to come from leadership above.

There is no doubt about that.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
No this team is that bad.

Let's go back to the post that I replied to.

You inferred that if we collectively were as good as Warde Manuel at his job UConn would be set..

Let's examine two things:

A: Ollie. Warde turned his hire into a debacle. You mentioned Calhoun. Thank God for him and his approach

B: YES WARDE MANUEL IS HORRIBLE FOR NOT FIRING PASQUALONI LAST YEAR THE ENTIRE WORLD KNEW IT NEEDED TO HAPPEN. NOT ONLY DID HE NOT FIRE PASQUALONI HE HIRED WEIST.

I generally like your takes and posts, but * this nonsense that there are reasons P couldn't go last year and * the idea that Manuel isn't at fault for bringing Pasqualoni back.

As for your ridiculous Penders deflection... Honestly it's so stupid I can't respond.

I'll start at the end. You may not remember (and this was before the internet) but there were people everywhere complaining about passing on Penders after he made the sweet sixteen run (the same year we won the NIT no less).

I did not like bringing P back any more than you did. I can however understand the thought process that firing P in December 2013 instead of December 2012 would have its advantages. I don't think anyone could have forseen the disaster that has been unfolding.

On the Ollie hire, we arguably lost out on a couple of recruits who are not eligible (there was no guarantee that we would have landed them) and WM demonstrated that he was in charge of the athletic department (which an AD should be), not a retired HOF coach. I may be the only one who felt this way (I know nearly everyone on the men's hoops board last year felt differently) but I believe WM handles that situation as well as he possibly could have. It didn't bother KO. I don't see why it should have bothered fans as much as it did.

Reaction Score
I'll start at the end. You may not remember (and this was before the internet) but there were people everywhere complaining about passing on Penders after he made the sweet sixteen run (the same year we won the NIT no less).

I did not like bringing P back any more than you did. I can however understand the thought process that firing P in December 2013 instead of December 2012 would have its advantages. I don't think anyone could have forseen the disaster that has been unfolding.

On the Ollie hire, we arguably lost out on a couple of recruits who are not eligible (there was no guarantee that we would have landed them) and WM demonstrated that he was in charge of the athletic department (which an AD should be), not a retired HOF coach. I may be the only one who felt this way (I know nearly everyone on the men's hoops board last year felt differently) but I believe WM handles that situation as well as he possibly could have. It didn't bother KO. I don't see why it should have bothered fans as much as it did.

I actually agree with this 100%.

FWIW: I'm worried about Manuel right now though, because if he really was responsible for bringing in Weist and elevating him, that doesn't give me a lot of confidence, because the film doesn't lie - it's hard to believe it's possible, but in the past 3 games, this team has become even more fundamentaly undisciplined and disorganized that it was before.

Reaction Score
I actually agree with this 100%.

FWIW: I'm worried about Manuel right now though, because if he really was responsible for bringing in Weist and elevating him, that doesn't give me a lot of confidence, because the film doesn't lie - it's hard to believe it's possible, but in the past 3 games, this team has become even more fundamentaly undisciplined and disorganized that it was before.

While true, they are short handed two coaches. But yeah, I stated earlier in another thread the talk about music while stretching and the "energy level" are good, if anything, this team is playing worse than under P.

Reaction Score
While true, they are short handed two coaches. But yeah, I stated earlier in another thread the talk about music while stretching and the "energy level" are good, if anything, this team is playing worse than under P.

it's not IF - they are playing much worse since P was fired. While the offense can run block again, we are producing less points per game, our defense has become pathetic and our kicking game is even more questionable.

Pasqualoni's loyalty to DeLeone is really puzzling. It must really be just some kind of gumba, siciliano, italiano thing that I just don't get.

He may not have been a likeable coach by the players, but who gives a if the players like their coach really, it's about winning. I wonder what P could have done if he never brought DeLeone on staff. Wasn't meant to be.

We are left with this clusterflub season and a football team that is just flat out embarrassing. THe worst BCS conference team in teh country right now, in the last year of the BCS.

They got 5 weeks left, to prove that they are NOT the worst BCS conference team in the country.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Whether Warde is tote right guy or not, time will tell But so far, I can't see how anyone else could have been doing a whole lot better. He comes in with realistically no shot at extricating UConn from the realignment mess. He has a hoops team beset with issue regardless of whether or not it was all of its own creation. The football coach was new. Calhoun basically stuck him with Ollie, a guy who had only been an assistant for a couple of years, and deprived him of the chance to do a nationwide search. A classic damned if you do damned if you don't situation. We hope KO will turn out to be the right guy, but at least WM owns it now, as it should be.

As for PP, I didn't like the hire, but his 2 year record was not wildly different from a lot of RE's records. RE did not leave behind a load if dynamite talent, especially not at QB and PP hadn't had his own recruits pretty much at all until this year. From what I've seen, neither coach has brought in a load if line talent, but I think WM correctly had to give PP this year.

As for SH, while football is a big ticket, running a whole university is a much bigger ticket. If she has to devote a disproportionate amount of time to athletics, she has a problem and so does the school. UConn athletics aside from football are fine. SH has to rely in her AD to do most of the lifting there. WD hasn't shown me yet that he isn't up to the task and it may take some time, like it or not,for it to turn around. Whether that's 3 years or 5, well see. Anything longer than that, I start to feel differently. Whoever is the next coach might need more leeway than PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom