It's 5 v. 3 on the court | The Boneyard

It's 5 v. 3 on the court

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Even though we have one of the most talented back courts in the country opposing coaches know they don't have to defend our big men. As we saw last night even when the bigs are pretty open they do not have the skills, confidence or physical strength to do much on the offensive end. So the other team can plays defense close to half court, which eliminates a lot of what our guards can do.

Also I think it may take some time for HCKO to transition to college style offense with more screens and less jumpers. We are playing a more NBA style offense, which can only be sustained if we consistently shoot above 55%.

Agree, disagree, discuss....

Reaction Score
Part of the season is suppose to be used to develop the big men. Unfortunately, we never put away opponents early enough to get our bigs playing time where they are the focus of the offense.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
If our backcourt is as talented as people think, they should find some easy buckets for our bigs in their development process. Right?

Reaction Score
It's all on Daniels. He's the only threat from say 10 feet in, so he needs to go down there and do what he did to Porter, or pass it out so that Npaier, Giffey and Boatright can nail 3 pointers.

Reaction Score
It's all on Daniels. He's the only threat from say 10 feet in, so he needs to go down there and do what he did to Porter, or pass it out so that Npaier, Giffey and Boatright can nail 3 pointers.
Completely agree, we have 4 guys constantly on the perimeter with only the 5 down low and we know all our 5's provide next to no offensive threat. Daniels has to try and play more down low and create mismatch with his speed and athleticism and kick out for more open looks.

Reaction Score
I agree the offense is nba style, it's predicated on all 5 guys being to do things when their man over helps. Our offense isn't overly dynamic because napier isn't healthy. First game of the season we had some sweet offensive possessions @ Barclays. I'm hoping kromah gets the green light to slash at any moment, terrific athlete. Once he beats his man daniels gotta get a pair of hands, snag passes and finish.

Reaction Score
If our backcourt is as talented as people think, they should find some easy buckets for our bigs in their development process. Right?

I think that Bazz would have to basically bounce the ball off Nolan or Brimah's forehead and into the bucket to make sure they're going to score.

Reaction Score

DD is shooting 44% from the arc.

Reaction Score

Giffey and Napier and Boatright can shoot at that clip too with better looks

What they can't do is post up down low

Reaction Score

Right. And he probably shoots less than that from the post. He really doesn't have much of a post up game. So unless the staff can improve his post up game by a significant amount in the next 6 weeks, this isn't gong to help us at all. I'd rather see him outside where can create his own shot because of his size, whereas Giff hasn't shown he can create his own shot and seems hesitant to even take a shot the last couple of games.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Right. And he probably shoots less than that from the post. He really doesn't have much of a post up game. So unless the staff can improve his post up game by a significant amount in the next 6 weeks, this isn't gong to help us at all. I'd rather see him outside where can create his own shot because of his size, whereas Giff hasn't shown he can create his own shot and seems hesitant to even take a shot the last couple of games.
He actually had a lot of decent looks in the post recently that haven't gone in. DD has the type of personality that struggles to play through things when they go wrong. If he makes a couple early than it is rare for him to become ineffective. If he starts off badly it is hard for him to become effective. Actually a lot of this team struggles with mistakes. Same with a lot of us Boneyarders.

This team needs DD to continue to work the post. What makes him lethal is the combination of his inside outside game.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see him low post and have a wing pass it in for a jump hook. If it's not there throw it back out and try it again.

Reaction Score

So, he lost his game from last year? He posts people up, doesn't necessarily make moves around them, but he shoots over them. No one else can set up down low and score. No one. So, I guess he'll just stand around the perimeter more.

Reaction Score
He actually had a lot of decent looks in the post recently that haven't gone in. DD has the type of personality that struggles to play through things when they go wrong. If he makes a couple early than it is rare for him to become ineffective. If he starts off badly it is hard for him to become effective. Actually a lot of this team struggles with mistakes. Same with a lot of us Boneyarders.

This team needs DD to continue to work the post. What makes him lethal is the combination of his inside outside game.

I don't even want to see him do spin moves (though I imagine he's 40% on those). I want to see him shoot over people from between 10-15ft.

Reaction Score
So, he lost his game from last year? He posts people up, doesn't necessarily make moves around them, but he shoots over them. No one else can set up down low and score. No one. So, I guess he'll just stand around the perimeter more.

He hasn't been effective this year posting up regardless if he shoots over them or tries to take it to the basket. Maybe in the beginning against the cupcakes, but not recently. He doesn't get great position and forces his shots. He's not adept at kicking the ball back out either. You're right that no one else can post up and score down low. It's one of the underlying flaws of this team.

Reaction Score
He hasn't been effective this year posting up regardless if he shoots over them or tries to take it to the basket. Maybe in the beginning against the cupcakes, but not recently. He doesn't get great position and forces his shots. He's not adept at kicking the ball back out either. You're right that no one else can post up and score down low. It's one of the underlying flaws of this team.

I haven't seen him try.

That's all I'm saying.

Have you seen Daniels shoot over people from down low much? I haven't. I saw him do it once all season, and it was just recently. AND, most importantly, the shot was all net.

Reaction Score
Last year he would pop that 15 footer from baseline alot or from free throw line. Now he seems to just want to post up and try a low post move or shoot threes. Last game few games he threw up Oriaki style bricks. When he gets the ball in the post he has blinders on and does not look to pass.

Reaction Score
Last year he would pop that 15 footer from baseline alot or from free throw line. Now he seems to just want to post up and try a low post move or shoot threes. Last game few games he threw up Oriaki style bricks. When he gets the ball in the post he has blinders on and does not look to pass.

Exactly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc