It'll look like a W in March. | The Boneyard

It'll look like a W in March.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
1) A duplication of today's effort is a loss against Dayton.

2) On paper, we're loaded with off-guards. On the court, it's not working yet.

None of the three are really great ballhandlers and two of them simply are not great shooters. Both are obviously still feeling their way into their roles, but right now, I'd like to see them moving towards the basket and not settling for long jumpers.

3) Rakim Lubin is very important - we need him to progress quickly as the season goes along because...

4) Phil Nolan isn't very good. Not a good rebounder, a pure liability with the ball in his hands. And....

5) Amida is still a lousy rebounder. Ryan Boatright led the team in rebounds today. (No other complaints about Amida today...just freaking rebound better.)

6) The defense wasn't great today, but not worried - Ollie will have that clicking down the road.

7) I'll feel a lot better if we see 2013 Omar Calhoun in a couple of weeks.

I'm not concerned about any of the above because they'll sort themselves out. The only urgency is that our bigger matchups are in the preseason because of the corpse of a conference we're in - we're playing for a seed a lot earlier than other teams who have the luxury of using the preseason as a preseason.

Reaction Score
Too much negative, I would ban yourself

It felt like CofC shoot 80% in the second half. Our defense needs a lot of work

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Get out of here with your rational thoughts.

Good post. Especially agree about the following:

The only urgency is that our bigger matchups are in the preseason because of the corpse of a conference we're in - we're playing for a seed a lot earlier than other teams who have the luxury of using the preseason as a preseason.

Reaction Score
Win is a win let's move on and work on our weaknesses. I agree wholeheartedly with Fishy that PN needs to see less playing time and the rock needs more. PN is worthless besides a couple flops to get us fouls.

Reaction Score
Pretty important stretch coming up. We have 6 non-cupcakes out of conference and you could argue that the 3 most winnable games of the bunch are the next three on the schedule. (I know Texas is better than Stanford and probably Florida too, but we get them in Gampel at least.)

In other words, it would be really nice to win this tournament and bank a couple of solid resume wins.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Adjusted.

Nope.

Tell you what, 2013 Omar Calhoun was better than 2013 Rodney Purvis.

Eleven points, four rebounds, he got to the line four times a game...and he played 32 very solid minutes a game. Give me that guy back.

Purvis will be what he'll be once he shakes off the rust and the adrenaline wears off - not worried about him in the slightest.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Glad someone else can see Nolan is just not good. Seems like a nice kid, but not basketball player

Reaction Score
Glad someone else can see Nolan is just not good. Seems like a nice kid, but not basketball player

Nolan is good when he has zero expectations on him beyond making sure the opposing center doesn't go off offensively. I feel like he came in this year with an increase in weight expecting a marginal increase in his role on the team. Phillip, we simply need you to play solid defense, rebound at a shooting guard's rate, score literally one or two buckets a game and, probably most importantly, provide five fouls and a breather for Brimah.

I love the kid, but he's got a Duke-like obsession with looking for the charge. Somewhere Coach Rat Face is watching tape of us and underlining his name as the key cog to our production.

Reaction Score
Phil is great a taking a few offensive charges a game. He really would fit in great at Duke.

Reaction Score
Spot on Fishy. RP definitely looking to fit in. It is a bit concerning his handle. In the second half he attempted to go to the hole a weakly put it begin his back and turn it over.

I agree about Rock being key for our bigs. But I also think SVJR is also key. He has to find range from 3 . SCJR and when OC come back are going to get alot of open looks.

If our other guards can't handle I think we will start seeing Hamilton getting more picks and roll and isolations plays.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
@Fishy

We we're +10 on the glass and generated 12 more FT's.

Maybe you are crediting CofC's 47% from 3 with poor perimeter defense, but that kind of shooting will keep lesser teams in games.

They had a good gameplan, they didn't attack to the third level, they did their damage from deep and mid range. That kept us from blocking shots and starting our break as did the 50 fouls called in the game. Not many transition points to be had.

I agree on the chemistry at the 2 guard and some of the redundant skills but any time you can keep a team at arms length while they shoot the lights out is a pretty good sign.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Charleston made damn near every 3 they took in the 2nd half, but a big part of the reason why is our closeouts were abysmal. I'm not worried about the defense, because I know we have a lot of very good individual defenders and that Ollie will whip them into shape. But the offense may take some time to come together.

Reaction Score
1) A duplication of today's effort is a loss against Dayton.

2) On paper, we're loaded with off-guards. On the court, it's not working yet.

None of the three are really great ballhandlers and two of them simply are not great shooters. Both are obviously still feeling their way into their roles, but right now, I'd like to see them moving towards the basket and not settling for long jumpers.

3) Rakim Lubin is very important - we need him to progress quickly as the season goes along because...

4) Phil Nolan isn't very good. Not a good rebounder, a pure liability with the ball in his hands. And....

5) Amida is still a lousy rebounder. Ryan Boatright led the team in rebounds today. (No other complaints about Amida today...just freaking rebound better.)

6) The defense wasn't great today, but not worried - Ollie will have that clicking down the road.

7) I'll feel a lot better if we see 2013 Omar Calhoun in a couple of weeks.

I'm not concerned about any of the above because they'll sort themselves out. The only urgency is that our bigger matchups are in the preseason because of the corpse of a conference we're in - we're playing for a seed a lot earlier than other teams who have the luxury of using the preseason as a preseason.
To your second point about our off guards not being great ballhandlers, I would have to disagree. They don't have the handle of Bazz and Boat, that's why they are off guards but TSam, Cassell and Purvis are certainly better than average in this area. Purvis looks to be the weakest with the rock but I'm convinced so much of it is rust with him. They are all better ballhandlers than Omar. Also Daniel Hamilton handles it better than pretty much any small forward you will see.

Reaction Score
And ...

#1 on CoC A. Baru will be one of the better Big guys you'll see at a CAA level. 6'9 250 & moved well. He's a major college talent a level or 2 down. He has nice post moves & good touch.

Our #10 Sam Cassell Jt is now in a Funk. Don't know why. He circles around the outside of the offense & we haven't found him for the kick outs. His Defense is adequate ... Unless the 6'4 guy he's facing is freaky athletic ... Then he looks like he is the Old Guy from the Y league.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Nolan is good when he has zero expectations on him beyond making sure the opposing center doesn't go off offensively. I feel like he came in this year with an increase in weight expecting a marginal increase in his role on the team. Phillip, we simply need you to play solid defense, rebound at a shooting guard's rate, score literally one or two buckets a game and, probably most importantly, provide five fouls and a breather for Brimah.

I love the kid, but he's got a Duke-like obsession with looking for the charge. Somewhere Coach Rat Face is watching tape of us and underlining his name as the key cog to our production.
I actual thought Phil would make a jump this year. He's been disappointing so far.

Boy Hamilton just drips with potential. Once he gets his confidence and comfort with our offense he will do some significant damage.

Reaction Score
its a little misleading saying brimah is a poor rebounder because boatright led the team. its not boatright is down there boxing out the bigs. IMO brimah looks much better this year than last, he establishes post position well on both ends.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
To your second point about our off guards not being great ballhandlers, I would have to disagree. They don't have the handle of Bazz and Boat, that's why they are off guards but TSam, Cassell and Purvis are certainly better than average in this area. Purvis looks to be the weakest with the rock but I'm convinced so much of it is rust with him. They are all better ballhandlers than Omar. Also Daniel Hamilton handles it better than pretty much any small forward you will see.
I can see why Purvis may have some rust in competition, but his handle shouldn't have suffered. It's not like he missed a year with a torn ACL.

Reaction Score
If we make more free throws not sure we'd be critiquing much. I still can't believe Berry shoots granny free throws

Reaction Score
Too hard on Nolan. Boatright is going to get to another level this year. If Facey isnt scoring and isnt rebounding why is he getting minutes over Lubin and Nolan? Our guard situation will work itself out. I think the 3 and 4 position are what is worrisome. Purvis and Brimah will get a lot better and Hamilton is awesome.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
If Facey isnt scoring and isnt rebounding why is he getting minutes over Lubin and Nolan?

It was one game. Facey had 11 rebounds in 24 minutes against Bryant.

Reaction Score
Boat and D-Ham are going to be electric in March. Only prediction I am willing to make after two games.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
One thing we do need is more production from our 4 spot. Facey just completely disappears for long stretches and Rock is ineffective right now. I've nicknamed Facey "Casper".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom