It wasn't all bad... | The Boneyard

It wasn't all bad...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tailgating was great...

Weather was fantastic...

Had shots with MikeDog10 and his crew - handed off his season tickets...

Stopped by to meet Butch and his girl...

Jimmy Serrano stopped by to say hello...

---------------------------------------------------

As to the football...I saw some things I liked. But we have a long way to go. BYU was clearly the better team. Stomping Stony Brook next week will be CRITICAL to how this team is viewed and can set us up for a good matchup against what looks to be a very beatable Boise St. team. If we get to 2-1 I think we will all be pretty happy.

Reaction Score
It was good to meet you. I feel the need the throw in the obligatory line you use at funerals, "I'm sorry it had to be under those circumstances."

Maybe it's because I had such low expectations, but I'm not on the ledge like others. Yeah, last night sucked. But it's not the first time I've had a miserable experience at the Rent. And it won't be the last. The good:

Barring injury we have our LT spot locked down for the next 4 years. I haven't heard anyone mention Levy yet. I thought he played REALLY well for his first collegiate game.

Newsome is explosive. We need to utilize him more. Johnson & Marriner ran well. After the fumble Max ran well too.

Puyol and Wain accounted for themselves well.

The things that concern me: our pass rush, or lack thereof. Not a finger on Hill all night. I think we also have DT's playing on the ends, which is why we're seeing Frank and Ormsby with their hands on the ground so much. We don't have the personnel needed to run the D that Diaco wants to run. Unlike the last 3 years, it doesn't appear that we're trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

The QB nonsense, just needs to stop. Whitmer is outright skittish with the slightest hint of a pass rush. Good kid. But just let Cochran take charge here.

Reaction Score
Alec Bloom looked good too. He is going to be a player. I really wondered who the heck that Ryan Griffin clone was.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the shots and tickets, J, very nice to meet you.

Reaction Score
I was a little disappointed but I'm not ready to jump off the ledge either. It was the first game with a new coach, new offense and new defense and the opponent was a good team. After dropping behind 14-0 right out of the chute they steadied things and didn't look outclassed -with one exception- the rest of the way.

The exception was Hill. My biggest concern was the complete lack of pass rush, but I think some of that was caused by Hill. The defenders had no confidence they could bring him down so even when they beat their man they didn't charge forward with reckless abandon because he'd leave them grabbing air. Then it was just a matter of Hill buying time until someone eventually got open - the DBs couldn't cover forever.

As for our offense, we did get 355 yards. That's not bad although it should get you more than 10 points (or 13 if not for the inexplicable fake and run on 4th and 14). Let's just pick a QB, which I think should be Cochran, and see if, with a couple of games under their belts, the boys can turn in a 60 minute effort against Boise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom