" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
It was the third of June
On that younger day
Well I became a man
At the hands of a girl
Almost twice my age

I like Neil Diamond's experience more than Bobby Gentry
Odd , but I just noticed your avatar photo is The Bridge Bar, and the post is about a bridge. Serendipitous!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
It was the third of June
On that younger day
Well I became a man
At the hands of a girl
Almost twice my age

I like Neil Diamond's experience more than Bobby Gentry
Thanks. I was trying to place the third of June in my mind and you did it for me.

Saw Neil once every US tour from 1987 till his last. Living most of those years in NJ helped, with a multitude of venues to choose from.

We do have a performer at a local theatre named David Fanning that does a tribute show most years. Forget the "schtick" and he is his own unique performer on the stage, but he is a true fan and does a wonderful job with the songs. Typically does all the hits ("made the charts?", based on something) which is most of the best known plus he adds "Come Dry Your Eyes" that Neil did in his last tour and which is one of David's (and my) favorites.

Reaction Score
Thanks. I was trying to place the third of June in my mind and you did it for me.

Saw Neil once every US tour from 1987 till his last. Living most of those years in NJ helped, with a multitude of venues to choose from.

We do have a performer at a local theatre named David Fanning that does a tribute show most years. Forget the "schtick" and he is his own unique performer on the stage, but he is a true fan and does a wonderful job with the songs. Typically does all the hits ("made the charts?", based on something) which is most of the best known plus he adds "Come Dry Your Eyes" that Neil did in his last tour and which is one of David's (and my) favorites.

Great live version of “Come Dry Your Eyes” on The Last Waltz, Neil and The Band.

Reaction Score
Another sleepy dusty delta day, This morning in 1967 we found out about Billie Joe McCallister and the Tallahatchie Bridge.
Bama, the burning questiion in my life for the past 53 years has been, "What the heck did they throw off the bridge?"

Knightbridge, Thank God for my Ipod. I would have worn out any record, tape or cd playing Morningside over and over and over.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Bama, the burning questiion in my life for the past 53 years has been, "What the heck did they throw off the bridge?"

Knightbridge, Thank God for my Ipod. I would have worn out any record, tape or cd playing Morningside over and over and over.
@Steelerone, in the song there is no clue as to the detritus; however in the movie it is a rag doll Bobbie Lee Hartley tosses into the Tallahatchie River. The original bridge is in rural Mississippi and was quite close to the spot where Emmett Till, a 14 year old black child, was lynched for allegedly whistling at a white woman. At some point Ms Gentry said the death of Till inspired the song. To my knowledge she never said what was tossed.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Great live version of “Come Dry Your Eyes” on The Last Waltz, Neil and The Band.
Yes, and he never released the song otherwise, or performed it particularly. During his final tour, he performed it as a tribute to the folks that were killed in that bombing in Manchester a few years back. Very moving. It also appears on his huge 5 CD book / album that he released last year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom