It Was A Shoe In | The Boneyard

It Was A Shoe In

Reaction Score
As stunning as MSU beating UConn was, for me THE Upset will always be Holy Cross beating BC 55-12 in 1942, keeping BC out of the Sugar Bowl and the Coconut Grove fire.

JS

Reaction Score
Kib? What say you to "shoe in?"

You put your right shoe in, you take your right shoe out . . .

No, that's not how it goes. Let me think . . .

Sorry, Rocky.

Reaction Score
The irony about this is if you go back to the beginning of the year, it wouldn't have been considered an upset.
Your right. That's what makes the achievement of last years team that much more impressive. That was a tough loss to take but the team should be justly proud of what they accomplished.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

Sorry, Rocky.

Twist it all around and we all begin to shout--
Shoe-in or Shoe in has been used, and accepted via aggravated usage--\
A time when one word was acceptable over another, in casual usage, has long since ended.

Reaction Score
As stunning as MSU beating UConn was, for me THE Upset will always be Holy Cross beating BC 55-12 in 1942, keeping BC out of the Sugar Bowl and the Coconut Grove fire.
Fortunate loss--this is why some people --go doo doo -doo doo do! Can it just be luck?? The fire that set many of the standards used in clubs and restaurants --too many died who second before were living life to the limit.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score

Sorry, Rocky.

I've always seen it spelled shoo-in...as shooing a cat out of the kitchen, I guess you can shoo things in, too.

Reaction Score
This is my all-time favorite upset- January 9, 1971

"Maryland, which led by 4‐3 at the half, scored 6 points in the last 14 seconds, including Jim O'Brien's jump shot at the I buzzer, to stun once‐beaten South Carolina, 31‐30, in over time tonight.

"In an almost unbelievable finish to a much‐publicized re match of Atlantic Coast Con ference basketball rivals, the Terrapins tied the game at 23‐ all with four seconds left in regulation time and converted two out‐of‐bounds turnovers into baskets for their final 4 points....The game was a classic, part of the intense tradition that has become synonomous with bas ketball in this region of the country....
South Carolina had whipped Maryland by 26 points in a con troversial meeting last month that had produced several fights, reprimands and threats of reprisals. Maryland decided to change its style of attack tonight and slowed the game to a standstill. The teams took only four shots in the first half, and the Terps won this war of nerves, when Howard White, a slick ball handler, hit a 13‐foot pump shot from the baseline at the half time buzzer."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom