It Takes Guts, Fearlessness | The Boneyard

It Takes Guts, Fearlessness

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
That's what Jeff Jacobs says anyway.

Jeff Jacobs: It Takes Guts, Fearlessness To Play For Geno At UConn

"It takes a lot of courage to play here," Auriemma said. "If you play poorly at Connecticut and you don't live up to expectations, the entire country knows and you're exposed. The upside is if you go to Connecticut and you play great, everybody in the country knows you're a great player. You're proving it in the toughest environment there is."

"This team, when you think about where we were in November and where we are today, man, they really have come miles."

Reaction Score

"It takes a lot of courage to play here," Auriemma said. "If you play poorly at Connecticut and you don't live up to expectations, the entire country knows and you're exposed. The upside is if you go to Connecticut and you play great, everybody in the country knows you're a great player. You're proving it in the toughest environment there is."

"This team, when you think about where we were in November and where we are today, man, they really have come miles."
Geno left out that he is the hardest, most demanding coach with a staff that nearly equals him in demanding. It has been said often--Uconn is not for everyone--it should also be stated --Uconn isn't for the faint of heart--or can't take having their ego's bent in 30 directions. If you survive it, as Chong has, you become great in everything you do. If you don't--you are no less a person--just not top quality beef.

Reaction Score
I don't like him publicly putting all that pressure on Lou; could result in her trying to do too much. We have many stars on our team.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

Huh, where's Geno Auriemma and what have you done with him??? I miss the old irascible Geno with snarky comments! He's become a kinder gentler soul...I am completely confused.:confused:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I don't like him publicly putting all that pressure on Lou; could result in her trying to do too much. We have many stars on our team.
There's a safety net call Napheesa, Gabby, Kia, Soniya and Crystal Dangerfield...

Reaction Score

I think Geno's message all along to her has been that he needs her to do MORE so I don't think he's really worried about her trying to do too much, especially when the more has nothing to do with shooting. She seemed to respond pretty well to being challenged at the beginning of the season. And she seemed to do well from him talking to her before the last USF game.

Reaction Score
He has done this to every great player he has coached. Rebecca, Diana, Maya, Tina, Stewie and others. I think Geno knows what he is doing. He knows what buttons to push.

Reaction Score
He has done this to every great player he has coached. Rebecca, Diana, Maya, Tina, Stewie and others. I think Geno knows what he is doing. He knows what buttons to push.
as I called it in another thread..."Loutivation"...Geno's way to get the very best out of Katie Lou!! I too believe Geno knows what he's doing! I have good feelings about this Team and how they will play over the next 6 games/3 weekends. Go Huskies!!!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It sure looks like she has been wilting under the pressure he has been applying! :eek::) Somehow I think he knows what he is doing!

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

He wouldn't do it unless he's convinced she take it, and she has already throughout this season. KLS said it better than anybody during the HBO special: "He's a master psychologist." She gets why he does what he does and she sees the results. That is one very super smart girl from an unquestionably deep BB family gene pool.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
From the article:

UConn already has beaten the other three No. 1 seeds and Maryland?
"Is that good? Yeah," Auriemma said. "Is it bad? Yeah."

I don't remember seeing this pointed out recently: the last few times UConn has lost in the tourney, and I know it's been awhile, it's been to teams they've played during the season. I assume it's some combination of knowing what's coming (you can never appreciate their pace and intensity till you play them) and desire for revenge.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
He wouldn't do it unless he's convinced she take it, and she has already throughout this season. KLS said it better than anybody during the HBO special: "He's a master psychologist." She gets why he does what he does and she sees the results. That is one very super smart girl from an unquestionably deep BB family gene pool.

Judging by the shape of her nose (still cute, don't jump me) she's also a hard nosed kid!

Reaction Score
In my experience I've noticed that a large percentage of the best players, if they possess a high enough confidence level, have a innate desire to go out and grab a game by the throat. I think he may see that in KLS and is appealing to it within reason. For instance, although still lacking in experience, I think he sees that in Dangerfield as well and it reminds me of that short clip in one of the games where the mike picks him up telling her to go out and win this game. He's very fortunate to be able to bring in this type of kids to his program.

Reaction Score
It sure looks like she has been wilting under the pressure he has been applying! :eek::) Somehow I think he knows what he is doing!
Yep, she just fell apart in the AAC Championship game... couldn't hit the backboard or the rim.... Nothing but Net!!! ;) That Geno... Sly as a Fox! :cool:

Reaction Score

I agree with both these statements. But the problem I have is that this year, with SNY and HBO doing so much behind the scenes reporting, what goes on between them is out in the open like never before.
I can't quibble with Geno's coaching skills, obviously. But I just think that kind of interaction between player and coach should remain between them and the team. I don't think that what sometimes amounts to public "shaming" is productive.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom