It still comes down to rebounding. | The Boneyard

It still comes down to rebounding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For the Huskies to go Jerry World, they need someone to clean the glass. They gave up over 400 offensive rebounds last year. That is 400 extra offensive possessions for our opponents. UConn had about 270 OR, a deficit of 130 over the season.

The numbers are deceptive because we only lost the rebound battle by 3 a game. We actually won the defensive rebounds numbers by 25. But that number also needs to improve.

With Facey in limbo and Brimah an unknown, Nolan and Olander were not very stout last year. So where do those boards come from? If we can stay close on the rebounding numbers, we should make up the difference with a positive differential in TOs.

Reaction Score
Let TO come off the bench. He's a better bench player than starter...

Reaction Score
Our guards have rebounded well but until we see different we are weak down low.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
DeAndre actually stepped up his rebounding towards the end of last year... he lead the team in rebounds. He needs to keep doing that since he plays the 4 a lot.

Our guards rebound pretty well. Shabazz (who's MAYBE 6 feet in shoes) was second on the team in rebounding and Omar was 3rd, not far behind.

Facey needs to be eligible. Brimah has the height but that doesn't always translate to rebounds. Hopefully one of these 2 guys can be good at defending and grabbing boards because that's all we need.

Nolan is probably going to start at center for us and was very average at rebounding in his low number of minutes (49 rebs in 249 minutes = ~ 1 rebound every 5 minutes).

Olander was simply HORRIFIC at rebounding last year and should only see the floor in case of foul trouble. He was our worst rebounder and saw the second most minutes in the frountcourt after DeAndre. I'd rather see Brimah and Facey get TO's minutes so that they can get some experience. We know what we have in Olander and he simply isn't cutting it (only 107 rebs in 627 game minutes = ~ 1 rebound every 6 minutes)

Rebounding is a bigger concern with Wolf gone. Statistically, he was our best rebounder on the team (75 rebs in 301 minutes = ~1 rebound every 4 minutes). Wolf also excelled at quickly getting the balls to our guards in transition to start the fast break after grabbing rebounds.

Hopefully the new guys can make an impact, but I think rebounding will continue to be a weakness of our team. We lost our best rebounder and added two unproven freshmen (Facey still in doubt). Thankfully, in the weak AAC, we don't see many intimidating front courts. But I wouldn't be surprised at an early exit in the NCAA tournament if we get matched against a team with a solid frontcourt and have an off shooting day.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Top 5 unknowns regarding our ability to rebound in reverse order:

5. Brimah - Can we get any minutes out of him at all in conference play?
4. Facey's eligibility - crucial to depth. Should be plug and play value off the glass.
3. Nolan's improvement - Modest or Major?
2. Deandre - How much of his run in the last 3rd can we count on?
1. Officiating in the American. If the league is called on the finesse side of the spectrum, we won't be giving as much away.

"I think our frontcourt is better than our backcourt," Napier said. "I think a lot of you are giving our backcourt the advantage over the frontcourt, but I don't think you guys understand who we have."

Reaction Score
Not only did our rebounding struggles give our opponents extra possessions last year, but the fact that our guards had to help out on the glass so much also limited our potent transition attack. This team is one average rebounder short at the center position of tearing teams up.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Top 5 unknowns regarding our ability to rebound in reverse order:

5. Brimah - Can we get any minutes out of him at all in conference play?
4. Facey's eligibility - crucial to depth. Should be plug and play value off the glass.
3. Nolan's improvement - Modest or Major?
2. Deandre - How much of his run in the last 3rd can we count on?
1. Officiating in the American. If the league is called on the finesse side of the spectrum, we won't be giving as much away.
Good list.
I would put Nolan's improvement as number 1! Maybe TO can turn things around but trending last year TO was going down and PN was improving considerably. His development continues and UConn becomes scary good.
It will also be interesting to see how OC's defense and rebounding changes with his surgery and if Kromah will be better than RJ/RB.

Reaction Score
The most effective rebounding 5 man line up will have to include Giffey. He hits the glass with reckless abandonment. doesn't mean he needs to be on the court all the time, I would just bet our rebounding numbers are better when he's playing.

Reaction Score
I am optimistic because:
1. Daniels simply saw Otto Porter, Jr., matched him and said, "so that is what it takes, I can do that." Then, he proved he could.
2. Giffey is the consummate skill player, master of the little things. This summer had to increase his aggressiveness and confidence.
3. Brimah, at least, gives us fouls and blocked shots.
4. T. O. (the player not turnovers) is looking for redemption. A very small improvement would make a big difference. He is a 4 as he proved his freshman year, maybe he will have a sophomore like epiphany about what it takes to play 5.
5. Nolan seems to have had skills and athleticism to make a difference. He was, I think, having trouble last year bumping in the BE with his slight frame and his speed and contact settings were on "high school." I predict that it will be turned up to "college" and his increased strength will allow him to do more.
6. I think that Omar's athleticism will be more apparent after surgery and he will contribute more rebounds and cause some TOs, (turn overs).
7. Kromah will be another tall 2-3 and that mean more rebounds.
8. Facey - will be a big help, if he plays.
9. Samuels is said to be a shut down defensive option, also taller and more likely to contribute rebounds.
I think it is going to be hard to get everyone the minutes they deserve.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I am optimistic because:
1. Daniels simply saw Otto Porter, Jr., matched him and said, "so that is what it takes, I can do that." Then, he proved he could.
2. Giffey is the consummate skill player, master of the little things. This summer had to increase his aggressiveness and confidence.
3. Brimah, at least, gives us fouls and blocked shots.
4. T. O. (the player not turnovers) is looking for redemption. A very small improvement would make a big difference. He is a 4 as he proved his freshman year, maybe he will have a sophomore like epiphany about what it takes to play 5.
5. Nolan seems to be to have had skills and athleticism to make a difference. He was, I think, having trouble last year bumping in the BE with slight frame and his speed and contact settings on "high school." I predict that it will be turned up to "college."
6. I think that Omar's athleticism will be more apparent and he will contribute more rebounds and cause some TOs, turn overs.
7. Kromah will be another tall 2-3 and that mean more rebounds.
8. Facey - would be a big help, if he plays.
9. Samuels is said to be a shut down defensive option, also taller and more likely to contribute rebounds.
I think it is going to be hard to get everyone the minutes they deserve.
I forgot about NG and Samuels! Niels because he's a proven! Samuels because a fifth guard means the guards don't get worn out as quickly.

I'm optimistic this year about rebounding! The team won't be spectacular, but it won't be a huge liability as it was last season and with the guard play improving significantly from last season this will be a fun team to watch!

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see who earns more time by battling for rebounds. Our guys are not any heftier this year compared to last year, with Facey and Brimah having some height. At the end of last year and prior to his injure, Niels was really fighting inside, playing with more aggressiveness and using his ability to tip the rebounds away or to out guys to advantage. We will still likely give up to many OR's, but hopefully the competition for time will motivate the bigs to really focus on fundamentals for rebounding.

Reaction Score
Nolan is the key. If he can rebound effectively, both in getting good position and grabbing the balls that come to him and in terms of having the instinct and athleticism to snatch rebounds away from his area, he'll be a 25 minute guy, regardless of his other contributions.

Reaction Score
I forgot about NG and Samuels! Niels because he's a proven! Samuels because a fifth guard means the guards don't get worn out as quickly.

I'm optimistic this year about rebounding! The team won't be spectacular, but it won't be a huge liability as it was last season and with the guard play improving significantly from last season this will be a fun team to watch!

I agree the rebounding doesn't have to be spectacular just better. But it HAS to be better for us to make a deep run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom