It is obvious that Stewart is the leader of this team... | The Boneyard

It is obvious that Stewart is the leader of this team...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Based on all the interviews, comments from the team in the last few days where all you hear from is
coach Auriemma and Breanna Stewart, and where Stewart talked about what each individual on the team
needs to make change even if they don't want to in order to be better, it is obvious she is the anointed
leader of the team. Looks like she is up for the role.

Reaction Score
There is a difference between being the leader and being the spokesperson. I will agree she seems to be the spokesperson. I haven't seen evidence of her leading yet but would to see it happen.

Reaction Score
We can all throw our 2 cents in the hat; however, we will find out after they emerged from deliberation. My hopeless vote is for the 2 seniors. I'm sure the coaches are banging them into place. Perhaps it is Kiah who will have a serious talk with Stewart. She is the most articulate. Perhaps she is telling Stewart that she should have taken the ball out, threw it to her and run down the court for a pass. Why was KML in the backcout as a guard and not in shooting distance. Perhaps she is screaming at Jefferson for being no where around when needed.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
This is my opinion,and not based on any inside knowledge.

It does not necessarily have to be a senior,or a junior,to be the floor general,who directs traffic,gets in someone's face,or instills confidence in others.
It has to be a personality,that can take control of any situation,to calm the troops,give direction,and see what is really happening through the game inside the game.

I do not believe,personality-wise,that KML has the personality to do this.Her forte is finding ways to get free from others,and score,rebound,defend.
Stewart has too much on her plate,to be the one to guide everyone else.
Kiah is still finding herself,and working hard to become a very good offensive player.

So who does that leave?

In the past,most of the time,your leader,your rock,your cool as a cucumber,when it is on the line,player,has been a guard or guard-type player.

Rene,Diana,Maya.just to name a few,come to mind.

Again it is my opinion,but either,Jefferson,Chong,or even Nurse,should be in the position,to get the focus,even regain the focus,in the game,as it is getting out of hand,or slipping away.

Being the elder of the three,Jefferson has the experience of what the team should be doing,and would be the logical choice.

However,any of the three guards could step up,to slow things down,bark orders,get people where they need to be.They all see the floor,and what is happening,generally.

Chong,looks to me to be starting to regain her confidence,and may be too involved with her own game,especially her defense.

Again,Jefferson is the logical choice,but,and here i go on a limb,the other experienced guard,Nurse,has quite a bit of experience,being point of a national team.Between the two of them,there should be the kind of communication to the rest of the team,what needs to be done,on the floor,to right the ship,as it takes on water,to instill confidence in those struggling,to see the path the game is taking,and change that path,by directing and guiding and calling plays,to change the pulse of the game.

Can they do it?IMO,they can and should.It will not get any easier against the quality teams coming on the schedule.Someone must step up,and though they may never become a Rene,Diana,or Maya,they can still progress into the leaders this team really needs,starting now.

Just my opinion and thought.

Reaction Score
After all this deliberation, it seems Nurse is the only real choice for team leader.

Wish it was someone else, but all things considered, she's the one that really stood out in this game. She was willing to get into it more than anyone else. If nothing else she stood up and stood out. Freshman maybe, but something more as well.

Reaction Score
A team's best leader isn't always its best player & vice versa.
Breanna is a great player but I'm not sure about her leadership qualities. Although in fairness to her she hasn't been called upon for leadership, the team had Dolson & Hartley for that.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I doubt that Nurse can fulfill the role of leader because there is still so much for her to learn on offense and defense. She has the personality but having a freshman trying to tell upperclassman what to do is generally not a good social dynamic. She is still earning team cred on and importantly off the court. Nurse's trying to assume the mantle of leadership could be very disruptive to team chemistry.

Reaction Score
Icebear said:
I doubt that Nurse can fulfill the role of leader because there is still so much for her to learn on offense and defense. She has the personality but having a freshman trying to tell upperclassman what to do is generally not a good social dynamic. She is still earning team cred on and importantly off the court. Nurse's trying to assume the mantle of leadership could be very disruptive to team chemistry.

Agree. Like it or not there is a pecking order that will be followed. I see either Stewie or Moriah taking the leadership reigns this year. Perhaps Kaleena. After seeing Breanna's face as she ran off the court my money is on her. She was angry, frustrated, devastated all rolled up together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Has to organic, can't be forced. The coaches try to nudge things into place during the players 4 years so that as seniors graduate there is a smooth transition.... but at the end of the day the leader(s) has to be willing to lead and everyone else has to be willing to follow that person. We can try to pick and chose who we think would best fill that role from our seat in the bleachers(at home on the couch), ultimately though it is up to those on the floor to decide who the leader is. The team is going thru some adversity, falling short against Stanford. Now is the time when most would expect someone to step forward and demand more from her teammates. It will interesting to see if anyone emerges as the clear leader of the team over the next few weeks, as the they prepare for another road game against one of the top teams in the country.

Reaction Score
Agree. Like it or not there is a pecking order that will be followed. I see either Stewie or Moriah taking the leadership reigns this year. Perhaps Kaleena. After seeing Breanna's face as she ran off the court my money is on her. She was angry, frustrated, devastated all rolled up together.
Watching her in High School, and in college it may appear she takes the game easy, but she hates to lose. She won't accept anything but excellence from herself, and likewise from her teammates, so I agree with you Stewie will take over leadership of this team.

Reaction Score
Based on all the interviews, comments from the team in the last few days where all you hear from is
coach Auriemma and Breanna Stewart, and where Stewart talked about what each individual on the team
needs to make change even if they don't want to in order to be better, it is obvious she is the anointed
Rewatching the game, Stewie was the one doing the talking to the other players during their huddles.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Everybody is calling for leadership, including the pundits. And there are those who are defining who should be the leader.

So my question for is - What are the qualities of a leader? What do you expect to see?

I'll start with a few qualities I believe a leader must have:
1. Set the example
2. Listen to learn from you teammates and peers
3. Be able to manage conflict
4. Be able to effectively communicate with peers and coaches

What say all?

wyo angel

spicy. spunky. sassy. an angel in disguise.
Reaction Score
paint your wagon?
ok, i will:)

Moriah. Moriah.
They call the wind Moriah.

Reaction Score

It is obvious?! On the court, at least so far this season, she is nowhere near to being the obvious leader. At the end of the season, that could be, but I would put my money on Tuck filling that role.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
“That is something I have been focusing on is being a leader vocally and by example,” Tuck said. “So that is something I’m trying to work on every day because I know it isn’t going to happen overnight. But I definitely think I am getting there.

“You have to be able to explain what to do to the other players, but at the same time you have to be able to show it. You can’t be telling someone to dive on the floor for a ball when you don’t do it. So I think you have to lead by example. Your actions will speak louder than you just telling them to do something. If they see you diving on the floor, the next play if they have an opportunity, they are going to do it.”

LINK

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Morgan Tuck. She's been a team captain on almost every USA team she's played on. She not only has a leader's mentality, but she WANTS to be a leader. I can see Moriah directing traffic as the PG naturally does that, but Morgan (as Meghan Culmo put it) is the heart and soul of the team.

Reaction Score
After all this deliberation, it seems Nurse is the only real choice for team leader.

Wish it was someone else, but all things considered, she's the one that really stood out in this game. She was willing to get into it more than anyone else. If nothing else she stood up and stood out. Freshman maybe, but something more as well.

Why would we wish it were someone else? Watch Nurse. She is one tough player, frosh or not. And she sets a tone for her teammates. I'm not sure why it doesn't feel like MoJeff isn't running the show, although she's playing pretty well.

I still don't know whose team it is.

Reaction Score
I still think Nurse looks a lot more like one with leadership in her genes than Stewie..... the dynamic mentioned about a freshman telling an upperclassman what to do in those situations that it is called for...... i do not see that as a problem if the upperclassman did not want to take the helm of leader.....

Tuck was mentioned..... and along with Nurse, she is a logical choice I'd be very much in favor of her taking on this role...... and keeping it for 3 seasons!!!

Reaction Score
I see it as Stewie's to lose and I don't think she will. I thought MoJeff before season started but her game this year has been disappointing vs what I expected. My 2nd pick Tuck then tie MoJeff/KML.

I don't think Nurse is even close. She is just too young. IMO there is no way she should be. She hasn't experienced the NCAA;s of one-and-done with many of her teammates which is primarily what the season is all about. For example - have her tell Stewie and Tuck where they should be? No. Have her tell KML how to get open? No. Have her tell MoJeff how to be a better pg? No. Have her tell what all four of the two time defending champions should be doing in tight games vs a team like ND? No.

Reaction Score
This is my opinion,and not based on any inside knowledge.

It does not necessarily have to be a senior,or a junior,to be the floor general,who directs traffic,gets in someone's face,or instills confidence in others.
It has to be a personality,that can take control of any situation,to calm the troops,give direction,and see what is really happening through the game inside the game.

I do not believe,personality-wise,that KML has the personality to do this.Her forte is finding ways to get free from others,and score,rebound,defend.
Stewart has too much on her plate,to be the one to guide everyone else.
Kiah is still finding herself,and working hard to become a very good offensive player.

So who does that leave?

In the past,most of the time,your leader,your rock,your cool as a cucumber,when it is on the line,player,has been a guard or guard-type player.

Rene,Diana,Maya.just to name a few,come to mind.

Again it is my opinion,but either,Jefferson,Chong,or even Nurse,should be in the position,to get the focus,even regain the focus,in the game,as it is getting out of hand,or slipping away.

Being the elder of the three,Jefferson has the experience of what the team should be doing,and would be the logical choice.

However,any of the three guards could step up,to slow things down,bark orders,get people where they need to be.They all see the floor,and what is happening,generally.

Chong,looks to me to be starting to regain her confidence,and may be too involved with her own game,especially her defense.

Again,Jefferson is the logical choice,but,and here i go on a limb,the other experienced guard,Nurse,has quite a bit of experience,being point of a national team.Between the two of them,there should be the kind of communication to the rest of the team,what needs to be done,on the floor,to right the ship,as it takes on water,to instill confidence in those struggling,to see the path the game is taking,and change that path,by directing and guiding and calling plays,to change the pulse of the game.

Can they do it?IMO,they can and should.It will not get any easier against the quality teams coming on the schedule.Someone must step up,and though they may never become a Rene,Diana,or Maya,they can still progress into the leaders this team really needs,starting now.

Just my opinion and thought.
I basically said the same thing in another thread. I think it should be MoJett.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom