It is about the Coaching ... | The Boneyard

It is about the Coaching ...

Reaction Score
That is what comes through to me as I watch continuing drama and WINNING in March.

Many here struggle with the depletion of UConn's talent base. While I am not dismissive of that argument, I remember our 1990 Team and some of this year's up&coming Cinderella's are reminding me of how fun and opportunistic Calhoun's early teams were in Championship months. Nate Oats. Eric Musselman. Ryan Odom. Then even some of the grey haired guys like Weber and D'Antonio. Fact is ... Kevin Ollie had a great 6 weeks that showed he can create and coach a Champion; I hope he can get that back (maybe he can take a $1m exile job in the NBA).

You can take OUR current level of talent - with more heart and coached to hustle/board/defend - and be at the top of our conference and competitive in March fairly fast. That's my opinion. Calhoun was a revelation in those early years as his teams just looked like they could Win.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Musselman lacks the east coast ties but man that guy can put a hodgepodge team together and get them to play hard and stick with a system. Helps when you have twins though I would imagined

Reaction Score
I am old enough ...

I watched first Phil Jackson and THEN Bill Musselman (and then George Karl) coach the Albany Patroons. Bill Musselman was a fabulous coach on the floor and a great evaluator of talent not in the spotlight (which is what the CBA was then). Eric is all that PLUS a good attractive package on TV and in the press (his father was horrid - at times - to people).

If Eric Musselman is given a Arizona or a Washington or a Colorado, look out. I do not think his location nor experience eliminates him from East Coast rising; however, he has a National Profile - like a "pseudo" Calipari or Pearl - that can translate to a big name P5 rise to a top Program. Watch. He - as far as we know - does not have the affection for a UConn return that this might take.

There is no Jim Calhoun coming through that door ...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44
Top Bottom