It Feels Like a Post Mortem Here | The Boneyard

It Feels Like a Post Mortem Here

Reaction Score
For most programs at this point in the season, a 24-5 record, first in your conference would be considered a super successful season. However, we are discussing UConn so expectations tend to run towards the unrealistic. Yes, the recent trend is disturbing with 3 losses in the last 6 games. The offense has become stagnant, with the team reaching 70 points in only 2 out of the last 9 games (exceeded only vs SC & Tennessee).

Getting CD back is not the panacea it seemed most expected or hoped it would be. With the exception of the 4th quarter against Creighton, she has struggled, shooting 6 for 26 in the last 3 games. After missing so much time and dealing with lingering effects from various injuries, it is unrealistic to expect more from her. Equally important, Aubrey's game seems to have been impacted by Caroline's return. Many people suggest playing Amari, Ayanna and Ines more would help to improve the team's fortunes, but forget that if the team was healthy, they would have been the 10th to 12th in player rotation.

The reality is this team has probably overachieved, like Ohio State did earlier in the year. Eventually missing players caught up to OSU and they appeared to hit a wall. For a couple of games, doubt seemed to creep in. However, they seem to have recovered a bit, beating Michigan on their home court recently. UConn appears to have reached one as well, with players playing tentatively. Whether they overcome it remains to be seen, but with the post season fast approaching, I believe we'll see the team bounce back. I've tempered my expectations for the tournament, but I have not written them off either. A healthy Aziz, like a healthy Caroline would be game changers, but at this juncture, both seem unrealistic, nor should it be counted on.

The starting 5 has shown they can play with anyone. If they can regroup mentally and emotionally, they can cause some damage in the tourney. As Harriet Morgan said, "For every dark night, there is a brighter day."

Reaction Score
I think that you are correct: being 24 - 5 is a very good record considering the schedule, the teams played in the schedule, and the physical, mental and fatigue issues on the players. Most teams would be very happy with these results but most would prefer healthier players. And most teams, would love to have our starting five in any configuration on their rosters. I am satified because I am a fan, a very old one, a graduate of UConn class of 1964, and I appreciate what these players and the coaches have done all season long.

If they get knocked out in the second or third games of the NCAA if not earlier, it will not bother me, but, I would be disappointed for the players who wanted to go very far with their achievements. There is always next year with a new set of players and hopefully a group of players who have recuperated from the injuries and fatigue of this year.

Reaction Score
For most programs at this point in the season, a 24-5 record, first in your conference would be considered a super successful season. However, we are discussing UConn so expectations tend to run towards the unrealistic. Yes, the recent trend is disturbing with 3 losses in the last 6 games. The offense has become stagnant, with the team reaching 70 points in only 2 out of the last 9 games (exceeded only vs SC & Tennessee).

Getting CD back is not the panacea it seemed most expected or hoped it would be. With the exception of the 4th quarter against Creighton, she has struggled, shooting 6 for 26 in the last 3 games. After missing so much time and dealing with lingering effects from various injuries, it is unrealistic to expect more from her. Equally important, Aubrey's game seems to have been impacted by Caroline's return. Many people suggest playing Amari, Ayanna and Ines more would help to improve the team's fortunes, but forget that if the team was healthy, they would have been the 10th to 12th in player rotation.

The reality is this team has probably overachieved, like Ohio State did earlier in the year. Eventually missing players caught up to OSU and they appeared to hit a wall. For a couple of games, doubt seemed to creep in. However, they seem to have recovered a bit, beating Michigan on their home court recently. UConn appears to have reached one as well, with players playing tentatively. Whether they overcome it remains to be seen, but with the post season fast approaching, I believe we'll see the team bounce back. I've tempered my expectations for the tournament, but I have not written them off either. A healthy Aziz, like a healthy Caroline would be game changers, but at this juncture, both seem unrealistic, nor should it be counted on.

The starting 5 has shown they can play with anyone. If they can regroup mentally and emotionally, they can cause some damage in the tourney. As Harriet Morgan said, "For every dark night, there is a brighter day."
You made some very good points, especially the thing about "overachievement"--I think that is key in this team's swoon of late. All of our current starters perhaps excluding Lou who is playing at peak level, are good players but not great players, with some for the first time--Nika and AE--being considered for All-American honors. Aubrey has also had a breakout year, Dorka as well.

The great difference between a good player and a great player is consistency, sustained excellence, and these good to very good players feel that they have overachieved, particularly with all the injuries and the short bench, and all the praise heaped upon them from our fan base and even Geno.

What we have here, like it or not, for good or for bad, it is a "satisfied" team, satisfied with where they are and what they've accomplished, and have exhausted all their mental energy in doing so. These are not great players but good players, who have played beyond expectation--As presently constituted, this team has perhaps maxed out and Geno has his work cut out for him to raise the bar of expectation and remove their sense of satisfaction and complacency...

Reaction Score
You made some very good points, especially the thing about "overachievement"--I think that is key in this team's swoon of late. All of our current starters perhaps excluding Lou who is playing at peak level, are good players but not great players, with some for the first time--Nika and AE--being considered for All-American honors. Aubrey has also had a breakout year, Dorka as well.

The great difference between a good player and a great player is consistency, sustained excellence, and these good to very good players feel that they have overachieved, particularly with all the injuries and the short bench, and all the praise heaped upon them from our fan base and even Geno.

What we have here, like it or not, for good or for bad, it is a "satisfied" team, satisfied with where they are and what they've accomplished, and have exhausted all their mental energy in doing so. These are not great players but good players, who have played beyond expectation--As presently constituted, this team has perhaps maxed out and Geno has his work cut out for him to raise the bar of expectation and remove their sense of satisfaction and complacency...
You really think that Nika or Lou or Dorka are both satisfied and complacent? Every player knows they fall short at UCONN unless they bring home the prize so I have to strongly disagree with your conclusion. Being good but not great doesn't mean you are easily satisfied or complacent either logically or actually.

What team has great players on it now? You could argue that Stanford has 2 and maybe SC, but I would say that Cooke is not of that caliber. The UCONN players are trying as hard as they can but the league is leap years more difficult than the AAC and the transfer portal has changed the game as has the Covid year ( SJU had 4 fifth year players who started last night). I think the problem is way more fundamental. Our 2 great players are on the bench and our first sub in underneath is right along side them.

Take the players you have and make them exhausted, give them the toughest schedule in the country and wear them down, and play against hungry, athletic, good shooting teams and bad things happen. My only concern is that we have not "gotten our wind back" so to speak, since the SC game and some of our players have been less than even good since then. If we don't get our energy and strength back fully, it will be an early exit come March.

Reaction Score
sometimes you score 60's or less because the other team decides to play slow, take 25 seconds each possession so there are fewer shots, make it a point to send two players back after a shot so no fast bread points, UConn has to play for 15 to 25 seconds each possession. Of course we also help out when we have 20 turnovers (as Geno says 20 times you did not get to shoot) or shoot a low %.

Reaction Score

Really does when your squad is simply great ant spectacular which UCONN fans are accustomed to.

Reaction Score
I view the current state of the team as the beginning of a new dynasty and not a continuation of those in the past. It's been a while...even though teams have come close in years I would consider rebuilding years. This team has long surpassed my expectations and although the results from game to game aren't always pleasant...the sum is something to admire. I hope they feel the same. Number 12 is coming.

Reaction Score
You really think that Nika or Lou or Dorka are both satisfied and complacent? Every player knows they fall short at UCONN unless they bring home the prize so I have to strongly disagree with your conclusion. Being good but not great doesn't mean you are easily satisfied or complacent either logically or actually.

What team has great players on it now? You could argue that Stanford has 2 and maybe SC, but I would say that Cooke is not of that caliber. The UCONN players are trying as hard as they can but the league is leap years more difficult than the AAC and the transfer portal has changed the game as has the Covid year ( SJU had 4 fifth year players who started last night). I think the problem is way more fundamental. Our 2 great players are on the bench and our first sub in underneath is right along side them.

Take the players you have and make them exhausted, give them the toughest schedule in the country and wear them down, and play against hungry, athletic, good shooting teams and bad things happen. My only concern is that we have not "gotten our wind back" so to speak, since the SC game and some of our players have been less than even good since then. If we don't get our energy and strength back fully, it will be an early exit come March.
BBallF, just wanted to say you described the situation in the third paragraph accurately. You named all the ingredients for problems to happen. What else would anyone expect? Nevertheless, The UConn 5 starters are definitely leaning toward the great side since they have battled honorably. They have beaten or went head to head with the top teams in the country. Many say-- to become great one has to become "Consistent." The season results say that they were very consistent. Being human, a youngster, a 39 minute starter (or more), and facing the "best they got;--- WEll, (as BBallF said) it took a SJU team full of 5 year grad students (who are damn good) to barely beat this UConn team. Geno knows that UConn has the best or in the top 4 best starting 5. Yes ,sounds like the final four. Will they be rested? Yes. Will they be awake/alert/energetic? Yes. Will they be consistent? I don't know--Geno doesn't know. Caroline is not a 1 for 11 shooter. Nika can hit the 3. Aubrey can change a game. Dorka can do her double - double. Lou can score 20. AE can dominate the paint.
That's a fact Jack. Not bravado or over compensating rhetoric. Their A game is sufficient to win. All we need is the winning consistency. To be able to play at the A game level for the tourney. That's a big task and a tough ask. Now it just has to be accomplished. Will they?
Stay tuned!

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I didn't see the Geno quote but the SNY pregame show yesterday said Geno was asking himself "do we play to win or play to conserve our legs?" and deliberately trying to keep the offense down in the 60s. Totally understandable, but it seems like the possibility of losing games has seeped into the UConn consciousness to a greater degree than I can recall.

Reaction Score

You make some good points but let me clarify my original position: I didn't say that the team was satisfied with their overall accomplishments and winning a NC is not their goal, but rather they were satisfied with their current overall performance and that they feel it is sufficient to win a national championship.

Geno has alluded to this team's complacency, and their "entitlement" mentality of winning the BE title. Certainly, physical and mental fatigue has played a large part in this, but lately, they are mailing it in games and expecting that it is good enough instead of taking it to another gear.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong about this observation/question because I'm thrilled that CD is back and expect that it will take several games for her to get back into a rhythm.

But I wonder to what extent her return has upset the flow/rhythm that the 6 who carried the load had established while she was injured? It may take time for the team to adjust to her playing again.

Reaction Score
What I don't understand is many of you complained about playing in the AAC where games were won by 20 and they never lost a game. Now they are in the Big East, teams are better and becoming better because of Uconn and ya'll still complain. Damned if they do, damned if they don't. Whether or not I agree with everything Geno says, I will say you're definitely a spoiled bunch!

With that being said...... the girls will get it together and they did Stewie's freshman year. And........ Yup, I am predicting Azzi back for the Big East Tournament!

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong about this observation/question because I'm thrilled that CD is back and expect that it will take several games for her to get back into a rhythm.

But I wonder to what extent her return has upset the flow/rhythm that the 6 who carried the load had established while she was injured? It may take time for the team to adjust to her playing again.
Good observations. A few times, the timing on offense seemed a little off when CD was on court.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
The time for Azzi is now. It's good to see Caroline back, but the apple cart is being upset because she is still trying to get her game together, and she is trying to fit into a team that has jelled together the past 6 weeks. We don't know when things with her will click, and that's why if Azzi is coming back, the time is now. I don't know where she is in her rehab, and I wouldn't want her to come back unless she is able, but time is running out and if we want to have a shot at the NC, she needs the on-court time to ease into the lineup as Caroline is trying to do. Azzi, if you are ready, the time is now.

Reaction Score
You make some good points but let me clarify my original position: I didn't say that the team was satisfied with their overall accomplishments and winning a NC is not their goal, but rather they were satisfied with their current overall performance and that they feel it is sufficient to win a national championship.

Geno has alluded to this team's complacency, and their "entitlement" mentality of winning the BE title. Certainly, physical and mental fatigue has played a large part in this, but lately, they are mailing it in games and expecting that it is good enough instead of taking it to another gear.
And I will say again, it is HIS job to prevent that sense of “entitlement”, and I think using that term is so much nonsense anyway. I know many here don’t want to hear it but I am sorry, these players played like warriors and were deservedly praised for it, now that have hit the wall and their shots have stopped falling due to tired legs, they are “entitled”. Utterly ridiculous and very disrespectful to a team that is giving their all as much as they did when they were winning. Their defensive effort has overall remained there with breakdowns on switches, help defense late in the shot clock. Marquette showed that if you keep them in defense for long stretches and then hit enough shots at the end of the shot clock, you have a chance and that is what St. John’s did. Combined with poor shooting on UConn’s part and you have the result you had

Reaction Score
The time for Azzi is now. It's good to see Caroline back, but the apple cart is being upset because she is still trying to get her game together, and she is trying to fit into a team that has jelled together the past 6 weeks. We don't know when things with her will click, and that's why if Azzi is coming back, the time is now. I don't know where she is in her rehab, and I wouldn't want her to come back unless she is able, but time is running out and if we want to have a shot at the NC, she needs the on-court time to ease into the lineup as Caroline is trying to do. Azzi, if you are ready, the time is now.
It's not up to Azzi. At least not yet.

Reaction Score
Even if Azzi could return it will not make much of a difference in the short term. And all that's left in the season is the short term. The girls put up a valiant effort over the past couple months but their minds and bodies would only do soo much. The season is not ending the way most envisioned, but the reality is that the team is just not upper echelon right now and there are very few days to get it turned around. I don't see that happening and expect an early exit from the Big East Tournament and an early exit from the NCAA Tournament. That being said I do not see the season as unsuccessful at all. It's just the reality of a convergence of circumstances that no one expected.

Reaction Score
Even if Azzi could return it will not make much of a difference in the short term. And all that's left in the season is the short term. The girls put up a valiant effort over the past couple months but their minds and bodies would only do soo much. The season is not ending the way most envisioned, but the reality is that the team is just not upper echelon right now and there are very few days to get it turned around. I don't see that happening and expect an early exit from the Big East Tournament and an early exit from the NCAA Tournament. That being said I do not see the season as unsuccessful at all. It's just the reality of a convergence of circumstances that no one expected.
I think this is a fair assessment and about where I'm at as far as this season goes. Here's to everyone being healthy for next season and 40 point victories over every Big East team (no calling off the dogs next year, Geno) en route to national championship #12.

Reaction Score

Ok, I understand your point. I think they probably underestimated Marquette, Georgetown, Creighton and St. John's in these last games and were not ready because they had beaten them before. Nika and Lou both raised the issue of softer practices as a way to conserve game energy and questioned their efficacy. Assuming that is the case it didn't work according to them.

They are a different team since the SC game. They frequently are not firing on all cylinders and it's just a struggle every single game. For all those BE pooh-poohers when they joined, saying it was another AAC, what do they say now? We had a NC Final team, an Elite 8 team, and a Sweet 16 team last year. They will do damage again this year. One of the reasons? The quality of the coaches. Another? You are playing UCONN twice or three times a year. What did the AAC do last year? How many ranked teams did they have this year?

Reaction Score
I view the current state of the team as the beginning of a new dynasty and not a continuation of those in the past. It's been a while...even though teams have come close in years I would consider rebuilding years. This team has long surpassed my expectations and although the results from game to game aren't always pleasant...the sum is something to admire. I hope they feel the same. Number 12 is coming.
I see the opposite. I see the ending of a dynasty, not the beginning of a new one. A dynasty such as UCONN women BB is a once in a lifetime thing, and we have enjoyed it for a surreal length of time. I agree that, if everyone is healthy next season, UCONN could win another crown. Paige is the key. She can push this team right to the top. And her supporting cast is brilliant ( if healthy ). However, I think Coach is beginning to feel less joy in coming to the gym each day. He is taking a beating emotionally and
physically ( the injuries, the poor bench play, death of mom...his inspiration..and need for " in season" rest, etc ). Body language is telling. HIs tone and posture at the post St. Johns game presser were bleak. And time on duty ( 40 years a coach?) is and will catch up. Geno has always said he will know when to turn in his whistle. A win next year could be the capper. And we would be joyful for him to have such a ride out of the game. But UCONN will then decline, I fear. Whether Geno extends for another year or not. Our recruiting is still good but no longer exceptional and consistently great. The best player in the nation is now going elsewhere. With Geno out of the mix ( or even so close to it as to worry recruits) a prime reason for top player interest in coming here, vanishes. I see a parallel to UCLA men's BB when the " Wizard of Westwood" turned in his sneakers. A school that dominated everything remains a solid competitor, but hasn't won the big prize in a long time. No more Bill Waltons, no more Kareem Jabbar, no more Reggie Miller. It is just the way things go. And we have been blessed as UCONN fans. But I believe the end is near.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom