It appears that the B1G would likely not ever happen | The Boneyard

It appears that the B1G would likely not ever happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
From this article Delany makes pretty clear what the profile is for a B1G school:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...rutgers-scarlet-knights-join-well-sources-say

Despite everything we have heard "contiguous" and "AAU" are still extremely important to them in regards to the prospective selection of a school.

Delany said:
"It's pretty obvious to us that the paradigm has shifted, and it's not your father's Big Ten. It's probably not your father's ACC," said Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany. "I think that what the paradigm shift is that other conferences had, we had chosen not to. We explored the collaboration (with the Pac-12). It couldn't be executed. The Pac-12 couldn't do what they thought they could do. And at that juncture, we thought we should seriously think about contiguous states, AAU (Association of American Universities, which concentrates on research) institutions and to determine whether or not that was plausible. We found out that it was, and we moved from there."

I would say that unless the Cuse gets invited we never will. Look, it was always a long shot but I would have liked to have seen it happen. Now, it appears that it's longer odds than any of us could have hoped for.

Reaction Score
I don't think the B1G will ever take a school with blatantly poor academics because they'll never have to, but when the opportunity arises to expand and get the network on even more TVs down the line, I wouldn't be surprised if they started taking non-AAU schools. All the conference shifting has proven exactly one thing: this IS all about money. 100%.

U

UConn9604

I would say that unless the Cuse gets invited we never will. Look, it was always a long shot but I would have liked to have seen it happen. Now, it appears that it's longer odds than any of us could have hoped for.

As far as our Big Ten longshot is concerned (and frankly, I'd much prefer it to the ACC, I just don't believe it's likely to happen), I don't think the "contiguous" part matters very much to us. Rutgers was just added on the basis of its DMA, which stretches into Connecticut -- and Connecticut and New Jersey are only about 10 miles apart at the narrowest distance between Palisades and Greenwich.

If the Big Ten decides that we have value to them, the lack of a Big Ten team in New York isn't likely to stop them.

The AAU, however, would be a much-needed plus for us.

pj

Reaction Score
Yes. Politicians, and Delaney is one, always find noble reasons for doing what they want to do. Contiguous states and AAU research institutions sounds better than biggest markets and most TV revenue.

That said, UConn would clearly be helped by further upgrades both athletically and scientifically.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Contiguous has nothing to do with us. CT is 25 miles from NJ. The distance from Storrs to RU or PSU is about the same or less than the distance between other Big Ten schools not in the same state.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Nebraska is not an AAU school. They were actually getting kicked out of the AAU when they were invited.

It is 25 miles by car from Greenwich to the New Jersey side of the George Washington Bridge. The only thing in between is New York City.

UConn's only value to the Big 10 is as a gateway to New England. Does the Big 10 go south into ACC/SEC country or east into New England? New England has 10% of the country's population, a disproportionate share of its wealth and essentially no competition.

My gut is the Big 10 stops or looks south, but New England is wide open, and they already have DC with Maryland.

Reaction Score
2 years ago the Presidents said the exact opposite. B10 was also in talks with Texas. Look, UConn is now a 30 minute drive from New Jersey (across 287 over the Tappan Zee on the GSP). I'm not sure a sliver of land is going to hold out UConn.

On the other hand, I don't think UConn is a B10 candidate. They will hold out that open spot for Notre Dame eventually. And someone else. Missouri maybe, or Virginia.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
2 years ago the Presidents said the exact opposite. B10 was also in talks with Texas. Look, UConn is now a 30 minute drive from New Jersey (across 287 over the Tappan Zee on the GSP). I'm not sure a sliver of land is going to hold out UConn.

On the other hand, I don't think UConn is a B10 candidate. They will hold out that open spot for Notre Dame eventually. And someone else. Missouri maybe, or Virginia.

They really should have added Missouri, and Mizzou really wanted to join. I think the B1G saw the flirting between the Pac and OU and UT, and decided it was better not to kill off the Big XII. If they added Mizzou, they probably would have added Kansas for balance.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Nebraska is not an AAU school. They were actually getting kicked out of the AAU when they were invited.

It is 25 miles by car from Greenwich to the New Jersey side of the George Washington Bridge. The only thing in between is New York City.

UConn's only value to the Big 10 is as a gateway to New England. Does the Big 10 go south into ACC/SEC country or east into New England? New England has 10% of the country's population, a disproportionate share of its wealth and essentially no competition.

My gut is the Big 10 stops or looks south, but New England is wide open, and they already have DC with Maryland.

I'd say the smart move (and most likely) for the B1G is to stop. There is no race to 16 but I do think the big 4 conferences will take incremental steps to 16. If the B1G goes to 16 now, they'll have nowhere else to go if a desirable school becomes available.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
The way I see it, UConn is a known commodity to NYC, especially in basketball - so I would see having UConn in the fold as a two pronged approach (along with Rutgers) to getting the B1G network on their cable systems. But I guess if the B1G really felt that way they'd be chumming it up with Susan and Warde.

Reaction Score
They really should have added Missouri, and Mizzou really wanted to join. I think the B1G saw the flirting between the Pac and OU and UT, and decided it was better not to kill off the Big XII. If they added Mizzou, they probably would have added Kansas for balance.

They have eyes on the ACC.

Really, the Big10 is still looking at Notre Dame.

The Big10 is done once again, unless the ACC falls apart and ND comes crawling on hands and knees.

Now, ND would be perfectly fine in a league with Cuse and Wake Forest. They wouldn't mind at all. But the dissolution of the ACC likely means super conferences everywhere.

Louisville is actually very well placed because the Pac10 is going to raid the Big12 eventually. They'll take 4 teams. That leaves 6 Big12 teams + Clemson + FSU. The Big12 will need 8 more teams. Louisville + BYU + Miami, GT, UNC, Duke, Wake Forest, Pitt.

NC St. and VT to the SEC. Virginia and ND to Big10.

That leaves: UConn, BC, Rutgers, Cincy, USF, Navy, Boise St., SMU, Houston, Memphis, UCF, San Diego St., Temple, Air Force, Colorado St.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
They have eyes on the ACC.

Really, the Big10 is still looking at Notre Dame.

The Big10 is done once again, unless the ACC falls apart and ND comes crawling on hands and knees.

Now, ND would be perfectly fine in a league with Cuse and Wake Forest. They wouldn't mind at all. But the dissolution of the ACC likely means super conferences everywhere.

Louisville is actually very well placed because the Pac10 is going to raid the Big12 eventually. They'll take 4 teams. That leaves 6 Big12 teams + Clemson + FSU. The Big12 will need 8 more teams. Louisville + BYU + Miami, GT, UNC, Duke, Wake Forest, Pitt.

NC St. and VT to the SEC. Virginia and ND to Big10.

That leaves: UConn, BC, Rutgers, Cincy, USF, Navy, Boise St., SMU, Houston, Memphis, UCF, San Diego St., Temple, Air Force, Colorado St.

No chance. There will be no geographically dispersed conferences. It isn't going to happen. I don't think there is any chance that the Big XII jumps several states to get to Florida and SC. We should take a look at history and see what destroys conferences...lack of geographic cohesion. CUSA and the BE are prime examples.

What is happening is a logical reshuffling now that the BCS and AQ system is gone. CUSA will be the home of the decent but not "major" programs in the east. Our former future western conference mates are already talking to the MWC, which is where they belonged to begin with. The MWC becomes a pretty decent league as a result. UConn goes to the ACC where it belongs. FSU stays put. The Big XII contract is only slightly better, and the chance that ND goes all in when the NBC contract is up is too enticing.

The remaining question marks are few, Louisville and Cinci. Do they reconnect with CUSA, or does the Big XII add them to WVU on its eastern flank?

Reaction Score
Yes. Politicians, and Delaney is one, always find noble reasons for doing what they want to do. Contiguous states and AAU research institutions sounds better than biggest markets and most TV revenue.

That said, UConn would clearly be helped by further upgrades both athletically and scientifically.

Yeah - it warms his heart to make like he's playing the kindly benevolent grandfather:

The addition of Rutgers to the Big Ten means that the league will essentially be offering financial bailout to another cash-strapped school, like Maryland, whose athletic department had been hemorrhaging money. (SI.com reported Monday that Maryland will make nearly $100 million more in the Big Ten than the ACC by 2020.) A Bloomberg report in the spring showed that Rutgers "funneled $28.5 million from the university budget and student fees into sports, the most among 54 U.S. public universities in the biggest football conferences."
After poring over data, Delany believes Rutgers and Maryland aren't very different from other schools the Big Ten analyzed during the realignment process in the past few years. "I'm not ashamed that we've been able to be helpful," he said. "A vast majority of the schools at the high level are $5, 10, 15 million below breakeven. If we can improve and they can improve, I think that's a pretty good outcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom