It all comes down to making shots! | The Boneyard

It all comes down to making shots!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
that is the bottom line. You can't start 2-12 and score 4 points in the first 9:30.
DH 2-11, OC 1-5, less than 40% for the game. In conf. play DH 31%, RP and SG below 40. Team at 42%. Defense is keeping us in games, 37% along with great free throw shooting 77.6%.

First half we had 3 assist, 10 for the game. DH had 5. JA great second half ,17 points after poor first half 1-4 two points. For JA to become a vg PG , he needs to improve his passing. Zero assist in last two games and only three in with 6 TO's in our last 4 games against the top our the AAC.

The players need to finish, lay ups, hit open three. They force too many shots or take very low % shots.

We don't have a go to guy who can break down the other teams defense and get off a shot late in the shot clock. So we need better ball movement, drive and kick and when we get to the basket we need to finish. With no go to guy we need balance and more consistency from DH and SG or we will be a quick out in the tournament, both AAC and NCAA.

Reaction Score
that is the bottom line. You can't start 2-12 and score 4 points in the first 9:30.
DH 2-11, OC 1-5, less than 40% for the game. In conf. play DH 31%, RP and SG below 40. Team at 42%. Defense is keeping us in games, 37% along with great free throw shooting 77.6%.

First half we had 3 assist, 10 for the game. DH had 5. JA great second half ,17 points after poor first half 1-4 two points. For JA to become a vg PG , he needs to improve his passing. Zero assist in last two games and only three in with 6 TO's in our last 4 games against the top our the AAC.

The players need to finish, lay ups, hit open three. They force too many shots or take very low % shots.

We don't have a go to guy who can break down the other teams defense and get off a shot late in the shot clock. So we need better ball movement, drive and kick and when we get to the basket we need to finish. With no go to guy we need balance and more consistency from DH and SG or we will be a quick out in the tournament, both AAC and NCAA.
I didn't read this post before I posted my longer post. You hit many of my points with brevity. You correctly point out Adams' weakness as a starter, will he create for others? Strangely that seems to be ignored/unnoticed by those pushing for Adams to be given a license to do whatever he wants.

Reaction Score
Thanks for all the statistics. It's tough to win games if you don't make shots consistently. Too many missed lay ups!!!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Thanks for the stats.
I agree with your most of your points, however, didn't you miss the most obvious that is pointed out by all the Rhodes scholars on this board?
It's KO's fault.
He didn't have enough rebounds, he missed those layups, and all his turnovers just killed the team

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I didn't read this post before I posted my longer post. You hit many of my points with brevity. You correctly point out Adams' weakness as a starter, will he create for others? Strangely that seems to be ignored/unnoticed by those pushing for Adams to be given a license to do whatever he wants.
No one is pushing for Adams to do whatever he wants. They are pushing for him to be given the opportunity to lead the team because Gibbs has proven he can't. Will Adams succeed, maybe, I just know we aren't going anywhere w sterling amd it's worth the risk. (To me)

C

Chief00

I would argue we do gave that guy and its Jalen Adams but both coaches and upper class-men need to accept that.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I would argue we do gave that guy and its Jalen Adams but both coaches and upper class-men need to accept that.

I cant imagine people believe that if JA tears it up in practice and KO is just bending to the upper classmen it would not spew forth in the news or word of mouth.
KO is not that arrogant to coach that way
JA has not played as he did today at any time before in this season.
I would be surprised if he did not see more time

Reaction Score
No one is pushing for Adams to do whatever he wants. They are pushing for him to be given the opportunity to lead the team because Gibbs has proven he can't. Will Adams succeed, maybe, I just know we aren't going anywhere w sterling amd it's worth the risk. (To me)
read my longer post where I advocate starting Adams, but pulling him to sit by Ollie when he makes major errors. I don't question his ability, just his judgement. I think he is much more likely to push the ball at every opportunity, and he may well be the breakdown player we need.
It would have been better if he had played more early, but I agree we don't have much choice now. Still there is no guarantee that this is anywhere near a solution. The overall focus has to be on winning as many games as we can between now and hopefully the NCAAs. Adams starting and playing heavy minutes gives the Huskies the best chance now. However, that may not be true in every game; Adams is likely to throw in one or more stinker between now and the NCAAs. That is true of everybody on this team.

Reaction Score
Agree. You play the players who give you the best chance to win. Some nights different players will step up. JA had a great second half. Not the first half. I would start him next game. However I would pull him if he is not playing well. JA has been inconsistent and I understand that comes with being a freshman. If I am KO I go with the hot hand or the players that are playing the best. If JA or whoever is having a bad night their minutes for that night will be cut.

Reaction Score
There is an entire thread titled "Adams Should Play 40 Minutes." That is only half hyperbole.

Reaction Score
It comes down to making shots....but also when you have one of the best free-throw shooting teams in the country it would help IMMENSELY if we drove to the basket and learned how to draw some more fouls. Some players are too content to dribble & pass & chuck.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
There is an entire thread titled "Adams Should Play 40 Minutes." That is only half hyperbole.
And I responded to that post saying 40 was a bit much but we need 35-38 minutes from him. We know Gibbs ain't the answer; let's see if Jalen is.

Reaction Score

JA is a fr so we can only expect so much from him.

Purvis isnt a very good player at all. Sure he can get hot and have a big game occasionally but watching him play is frustrating. A 6`4 guard built like a truck with great athleticism but has no mid range game,terrible handle,trouble with layups,doesnt come off screens well and is a poor ft shooter.

Omar is limited athletically,not a good shooter,not a good handle,not a good passer,doesnt beat guys off the dribble. Hes a decent guy off the bench but should get limited minutes.

Gibbs is a good spot up shooter and thats about it.

Sam jr. Should be a guy playing at a mid major shool. Just not gifted enough for this level.

This is our back court and it is the reason why this team struggles offensively. Just think about the back courts we`ve had in the past and compare these guys. Theyd get run out of the gym! These guys are just not good enough and until we start getting a better level of talent we will continue to have seasons like we`re having now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom