ISU AD goes on a rant | The Boneyard

ISU AD goes on a rant

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Figured this deserves a thread. Click the tweet (not the link) to see the whole tweet thread, and scroll down. If someone wants to copy and paste, or transcribe the audio that would be great (I'm on a mobile at work)

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
This is funny except they probably view UConn football the same way...

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
This is funny except they probably view UConn football the same way...

Did he also cite that Iowa State is 0-4 in conference and 1-6 overall, with loses to UNI and an absolute beatdown by Iowa, with their only win coming against a 2-5 San Jose State team that got crushed by Tulsa?

The come-uppins on schools like this is going to be amazing. I can't wait.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Its easy to talk tough now - wait until that next media contract comes along...its bound to disappoint in a big way.

Reaction Score
This guy sounds straight up pathetic. Just incredibly weak.

"Thank god we have Texas and Oklahoma, it's great to have a couple of great players on our team. Thank god we're already in the P5, don't let anyone else in."

Screw you, you weird little wuss

Reaction Score
Think it was Iowa states president who brushed off reporters yesterday and said 'I have a university to run'. Clearly not a unanimous vote as Boren let on.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
He's talking about diluting the product with new schools and also mentioned Rutgers and BC as examples. According to Massey Ratings (College Football Ranking Composite) ISU is ranked #107 behind Houston #12, USF #27, BYU #39, Uconn #80, BC #82, Cincy #88 & Rutgers #103. The only P5 team worse than ISU is Kansas @ #120 out of 128. The diluting is going on now, but it's being handled in house.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
This guy had some good points. Without Texas and Oklahoma they are the mountain west conference making 3 million a year instead of 30.

He's only got wait a few years and then it will be 3 million a year, if his university is lucky.

Reaction Score
This guy had some good points. Without Texas and Oklahoma they are the mountain west conference making 3 million a year instead of 30.
This is true. Oklahoma and Texas could leave the B12, and form a new league with BYU, and the 7 best schools from the American and MW, and it would probably be as good league as where they are now.

Texas
OU
BYU
Houston
UConn
Cincy
USF
UCF
Boise
CSU

Reaction Score
He's only got wait a few years and then it will be 3 million a year, if his university is lucky.
Yeah there are going to be a lot of pissed off P5 members when the hammer drops and they are forced to do business on 1/3, or less, of the revenue they currently receive by way of conference distribution agreements.

Reaction Score
Its easy to talk tough now - wait until that next media contract comes along...its bound to disappoint in a big way.
If you are an administrator with any BIG12 school not named Texas or Oklahoma, you should probably not voice your opinion on any league related topic...... Just shut up, and do what UT & OU tell you to do. In Pollard's defense it must have been pretty difficult to verbalize his thoughts, what with UT & OU's schwantz's lodged so far down his throat. Pollard figures he will be ready to retire, or off to another gig by the time this GOR expires. That will be the next AD's problem. If you check out the Iowa State fan forums, their fans know they are dead meet. They think maybe their Basketball program might give them a glimmer of hope for an ACC invite someday. As a Cincinnati fan, we played Iowa State last December and of course they beat us at the buzzer 81-79, but I never realized ISU was such a big time Basketball school. These are certainly interesting times.......

Reaction Score
Iowa State is a weird duck. With Nebraska and Missouri gone, they're not even contiguous with Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas. And just about everybody else in the Big 12 (other than WVU) can be paired up with at least one other similar in-state school. They're as much of an outlier as WVU is. They're just a bit closer.

But one thing I have to say about them. No matter how crappy their teams may be (and their teams are often crappy) their fans show up. If you check attendance records, you'll always find Iowa State in the top four. Pretty impressive and commendable.

Reaction Score
Iowa State is a weird duck. With Nebraska and Missouri gone, they're not even contiguous with Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas. And just about everybody else in the Big 12 (other than WVU) can be paired up with at least one other similar in-state school. They're as much of an outlier as WVU is. They're just a bit closer.

But one thing I have to say about them. No matter how crappy their teams may be (and their teams are often crappy) their fans show up. If you check attendance records, you'll always find Iowa State in the top four. Pretty impressive and commendable.

Not contiguous but if you stood in the right part of Iowa you could through a rock over Nebraska or Missouri and hit Kansas. That's a bit of an exaggeration but it's a matter of 30 minutes on the highway.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
This is true. Oklahoma and Texas could leave the B12, and form a new league with BYU, and the 7 best schools from the American and MW, and it would probably be as good league as where they are now.

Texas
OU
BYU
Houston
UConn
Cincy
USF
UCF
Boise
CSU
Smash cut to Kansas going, "Hey what about us?"

No way Kansas is left out of the power players. Secondly, that is only 10 teams. Finally 10 years is a long time and some of those schools lack a national brand. USF's prestige, for example, is primarily based on their last 12 football games, but Flowers is going to run out of eligibility eventually.

Reaction Score
Iowa State was added to the B12 because the B12 and the networks wanted to lock down the huge and coveted Cedar Rapids- Des Moines TV market for the B12.

Otherwise, it must have been for Iowa States historically great football teams over the last 3 decades. Or maybe the blindfolded B12 Presidents threw darts with 20 school's names on a dartboard, and Iowa State was hit by the required number of darts for admittance. Otherwise, who knows what the perceived " value " was for Iowa State football for the B12 when their lucky number came up in the College Football Lottery of Life of the Haves and the Have Nots. Its over my head, I'll admit.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Iowa State was added to the B12 because the B12 and the networks wanted to lock down the huge and coveted Cedar Rapids- Des Moines TV market for the B12.

Otherwise, it must have been for Iowa States historically great football teams over the last 3 decades. Or maybe the blindfolded B12 Presidents threw darts with 20 school's names on a dartboard, and Iowa State was hit by the required number of darts for admittance. Otherwise, who knows what the perceived " value " was for Iowa State football for the B12 when their lucky number came up in the College Football Lottery of Life of the Haves and the Have Nots. Its over my head, I'll admit.
Iowa St. was a long time member of the Big 8. The Big 12 was basically the Big 8, plus 4 teams from the old SWC.

Reaction Score

They definitely do a decent job getting people to games, considering. I used to spend time in West Des Moines and Ames for work.... there aren't a lot of options of things to do on a Saturday afternoon in the fall. I mean after seeing the butter cow at the state fair, maybe catching an I Cubs game, the options are few and far in between.

Reaction Score
They definitely do a decent job getting people to games, considering. I used to spend time in West Des Moines and Ames for work.... there aren't a lot of options of things to do on a Saturday afternoon in the fall. I mean after seeing the butter cow at the state fair, maybe catching an I Cubs game, the options are few and far in between.

This is exactly right.

I do feel kind of bad bashing ISU a little. But there is a reason why college sports is so big in that part of the country. The nearest NFL team is what? The Packers, Vikings, Bears, or Chiefs? I have no idea. There really is nothing else there. The whole region is pretty sport starved. The University of Northern Iowa has an indoor stadium that draws pretty good. Just the fact that they have an indoor facility ought to tell you something.

I remember when I lived in Lacrosse, WI when I was stationed up there, people were bummed because they missed out on a NBA D-League team.

Heck if I had a 20-30 Mil net worth I would probably start my own USL or NASL team in some place like Ames, Omaha, or Des Moines. I'd get 5000 per game at least with very paid promotion because the locals would be so damn excited.

That being said: If the P5 were designed from scratch tomorrow then there is no way ISU would make the cut.

Reaction Score
As for the ISU AD, at least he was being pretty real about it.

Reaction Score
I have lurked on this board for months, finding it informative, entertaining, and a good pointer to information on Realignment. I had always intended to stay in the shadows, but now circumstances compel me to correct an egregious error. Cedar Rapids is most certainly in the footprint of the University of Iowa. We don't do Cyclones here.

For the record, I thought that what the Big 12 did to your university was despicable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom