Isolate Hamilton on the low block? | The Boneyard

Isolate Hamilton on the low block?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Could anyone provide some insight as to we don't try to isolate Hamilton down low and clear it out for him, like how we've done a bit with Miller at the 4? I could see DH being very effective from down low with his back to the basket or facing up. I know he doesn't have the size or strength of a PF but I'm confident with him shooting from that area of the floor. I feel like he could take some higher percentage shots while under control instead of him resorting to taking shots on the move while driving to the rim. From the block he could also distribute and kick out to cutters or shooters outside because he's got great vision.

I feel we should try to isolate him down low and get him the ball in the post and see what happens. I don't think we do it enough with Miller either, because he's effective from there as well. The guards could probably do a little better job of getting the ball to our bigs on the block overall, but not sure why we haven't even tried it with Hamilton, especially if a smaller guard switches onto him when he's on the perimeter.

Now that Daniel has his alley-oop buddy back in Brimah, the game is really going to open up for him. KO should be up at night thinking of ways to get Hamilton the ball where he can take some higher percentage shots.

Reaction Score
Because he's never been a back to the basket player. He could maybe fake it for a couple possessions, the same way you could stick a major league center fielder at shortstop and he might make a couple plays. But it isn't a long term strategy for success, since it's not the position that fits their instincts. At least not without an offseason of really working on it (and he's got enough things to work on already).

Reaction Score
Probably because he doesn't have a low post game, and other than wide open layups, I'm not sure what is a high percentage shot for him.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Because he's never been a back to the basket player. He could maybe fake it for a couple possessions, the same way you could stick a major league center fielder at shortstop and he might make a couple plays. But it isn't a long term strategy for success, since it's not the position that fits their instincts. At least not without an offseason of really working on it (and he's got enough things to work on already).

I can understand that he's definitely more comfortable facing up. But if a shorter guard switches onto him I'd like to see us make an effort to get him the ball down low. Not saying he needs to bully his guy by backing in, but he's got a great mid-range skillset that he could similarly utilize from there.

Reaction Score
I can understand that he's definitely more comfortable facing up. But if a shorter guard switches onto him I'd like to see us make an effort to get him the ball down low. Not saying he needs to bully his guy by backing in, but he's got a great mid-range skillset that he could similarly utilize from there.
Height is irrelevant, I've seen NBA 2guards and wings call for the ball in the post and not be able to take advantage of a size difference due to lack of strength, footwork, shooting ability, and savvy, skills that are required to execute in the post(not necessarily all 4, but at least some of them). Nothing I've seen from DHam in 1.5 years tells me that he can operate effectively down there. Also, a "great midrange skill set" would require him making shots at a consisent, efficient clip from there, something we have yet to see.

Reaction Score
I think guards and wings are under-utilized in the post in the modern game, so I agree with you in that respect, but as others have said, it's not something that comes naturally to many players, even big men, these days. I'm sure if D-Ham was a savage in the post KO and the staff would have already uncovered that by now; as it is, posting him is probably only going to lead to more of the awkward mid-range shots that we're trying to avoid with him.

There's no doubt, though, that inverting your offense can be deadly with the right personnel. I remember a couple years ago when Iowa State used to post DeAndre Kane all the time and spread the floor with Niang and Ejim. I just don't think it's emphasized.

Reaction Score
If he can simply start knocking down the mid-range open shots that would help a lot. Of course a few threes would be nice, but let's start with 2-3 buckets a game from 10-15.

Reaction Score
If he can simply start knocking down the mid-range open shots that would help a lot. Of course a few threes would be nice, but let's start with 2-3 buckets a game from 10-15.
totally agree. If he would pull up in the lane instead of barging ahead then jumping without a plan, he'd have a much more complete game.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
If Brimah was going to be out for the rest of the year or if Ollie had chosen to do this 5 or 6 games back, I'd understand it, but getting Brimah back opens up the lane for Hamilton to do what he does best. I wouldn't change anything right now.

Reaction Score
Don't really see how he would ever be efficient in the post or why KO would even look to increase his usage. He lacks length and explosiveness; two big things that hurts his finishing . Not in this thread , but I always come across comments suggesting hamilton misses lay ups around the rim because of luck . IMO that's really not the case I doubt he's ever going to be a guy who will possess the sort of guile and athleticism to be a great paint finisher. It's also why he can't draw fouls at a high rate.

I would like for him to just work on not turning the ball over and catch n shoot. He is allergic to catch n shoot honestly he catches dimes and goes into a pumpfake/triple threat way too fast that it's predictable . Really crazy he's become the polar opposite of what I envisioned of him coming out of Cali. Once touted as a shooter and scorer, but now is a great stat stuffer and frankly a wildly inefficient offensive player.

Reaction Score
Don't really see how he would ever be efficient in the post or why KO would even look to increase his usage. He lacks length and explosiveness; two big things that hurts his finishing . Not in this thread , but I always come across comments suggesting hamilton misses lay ups around the rim because of luck . IMO that's really not the case I doubt he's ever going to be a guy who will possess the sort of guile and athleticism to be a great paint finisher. It's also why he can't draw fouls at a high rate.

I would like for him to just work on not turning the ball over and catch n shoot. He is allergic to catch n shoot honestly he catches dimes and goes into a pumpfake/triple threat way too fast that it's predictable . Really crazy he's become the polar opposite of what I envisioned of him coming out of Cali. Once touted as a shooter and scorer, but now is a great stat stuffer and frankly a wildly inefficient offensive player.

Offensively I thought he would be the type of scorer Jordan Adams was at UCLA. The rebounding is nice, but this team sorely needs someone who can just get buckets and not kill the team while trying to do so.

Reaction Score
Agree w James, lack explosion and strength, he's a really good facilitator, not a low post guy. Liked the CF playing SS analogy in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom